Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 10:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
I just happened to like the fact Mercedes seems to have covered a lot of bases in their entire lineup. I mean the bench is DEEP depending on the buyers need. You want an suv that seats five and packs 550+HP? Done. Same suv maybe a little less HP? Done. 7 seat suv. Done. Then there is the endless choices of coupes. Good goobley. A lot. Thennthe enginr choices...V12,8,6,4tt...a buyer will find the right combination that fits their lifestyle.
and this is what makes them THE luxury car brand, because they give the consumer TONS of options (and availability). the consumer gets what they want, not some forced option packages rammed down their throat or dealers that say 'take this one on the lot or order one and wait forever'.
Old 09-09-15, 10:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nope. Don't miss the point at all. I'm well aware of that. I just feel that looking out of a car is as important as looking at it, especially if you are gong to drive in dense traffic.
Which is why you are not a coupe buyer. I am not a coupe buyer either.

This is one of my frustrations with you as a reviewer, you look at cars through your own lens not through the lens of the consumer who is likely going to be looking at a specific car. This is the perfect example of that.

Actually, I've owned a few coupes in my life. I'm not necessarily opposed to them. But I could see out of the ones I owned.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that these were older coupes that really didn't have a coupe like profile, really more like 2 door sedans.

If someone wants more visibility and utility, the C Class sedan is there. This car is for people who value style above utility...which is why they selected the coupe.
Old 09-10-15, 07:15 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well turned in the C300 today and found out what might have been the reason for such a hard ride. The air pressure sensors came on for the left front tire which had that tire at 34psi. The fronts require per the door 39psi and the rears 40psi. This in turn made the tires super smooth to turn almost as if on ice skates. Went to fill up the gas and there on the fuel door it had a different COLD air reading of a much more reasonable 34psi in front. Forgot the back. That I believe would have made a HUGE difference.
Also, having made a lot of stop & go errands the automatic engine shut off and turn on became VERY annoying. That would be a deal breaker for me.
So I don't like to end on a sour note.
If they could fix that and allowed for a softer tire pressure setting I really would like that car. The interior is clean, comfortable and has a simple logical layout of basic functions. Seating is comfy and supple. MUCH more legroom (a hand span from the kneee to the glove box with the seat all the way back in the C230). Finally I do like the very clear LCD screen. Good stuff overall.
Old 09-10-15, 07:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is one of my frustrations with you as a reviewer, you look at cars through your own lens not through the lens of the consumer who is likely going to be looking at a specific car. This is the perfect example of that.
ok, let's refrain from personal jabs if possible... mmarshall spends a lot of time putting together reviews. if you don't like them, well, you don't have to read them. we all bring our own biases to one degree or another.

i get your point, however, which is why i don't like CR reviews which generally seem to be looking for an answer to the question "how similar or dissimilar is this vehicle we're testing to a camry or an accord?"

If someone wants more visibility and utility, the C Class sedan is there. This car is for people who value style above utility...which is why they selected the coupe.
amen. long time ago i had an acura legend coupe. loved the car but the long doors got to me eventually and i upgraded to a legend sedan (gs 6 speed stick!). loved the better car AND increased practicality.
Old 09-10-15, 08:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok, let's refrain from personal jabs if possible... mmarshall spends a lot of time putting together reviews. if you don't like them, well, you don't have to read them. we all bring our own biases to one degree or another.
Not meant to be a jab at all, I enjoy his reviews too. Point taken though.
Old 09-10-15, 11:13 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Well turned in the C300 today and found out what might have been the reason for such a hard ride. The air pressure sensors came on for the left front tire which had that tire at 34psi. The fronts require per the door 39psi and the rears 40psi. This in turn made the tires super smooth to turn almost as if on ice skates. Went to fill up the gas and there on the fuel door it had a different COLD air reading of a much more reasonable 34psi in front. Forgot the back. That I believe would have made a HUGE difference.
Also, having made a lot of stop & go errands the automatic engine shut off and turn on became VERY annoying. That would be a deal breaker for me.
So I don't like to end on a sour note.
If they could fix that and allowed for a softer tire pressure setting I really would like that car. The interior is clean, comfortable and has a simple logical layout of basic functions. Seating is comfy and supple. MUCH more legroom (a hand span from the kneee to the glove box with the seat all the way back in the C230). Finally I do like the very clear LCD screen. Good stuff overall.
Sister has a '15 C300 and I agree the start stop is frightening. I am surprised that made it past r&d.
Old 11-10-15, 04:57 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Presenting the C63 AMG Coupe:

First Drive by Top Gear

First Drive by Autocar

First Drive by Car

Old 11-10-15, 05:06 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Where is the gear selector? Is it column mounted?
Old 11-10-15, 05:30 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

yes, column mounted just like the standard coupe and sedan, behind the paddle shifters
Old 11-10-15, 05:40 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

i really like the interior in this, right up until i see that stupid samsung tablet of a screen perched atop the dash. i understand its sort of necessary to have some sort of display but when its just stuck on there it looks almost like they nearly forgot to put it there, but then someone went WAITTTTTT!!!! WE FORGOT THE SCREEN!!!!!
Old 11-10-15, 05:48 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The only thing that bothers me about the screen is the incredibly large bezel.
Old 11-10-15, 09:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I like the styling overall but can't get over those fake exhaust tips and idiotic NAV screen.
Old 11-10-15, 11:22 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now the screen I wouldn't mind IF it was...
A: Removable
B: Tilt, rotate etc...
C: Disappeared.
D: Compatible with other Mercedes within it's line up.
For that kinda money all automakers should just make that a removable tablet and be done with it. I could see going to my favorite coffee house and just detaching it....
Just an idea.
Old 11-11-15, 12:16 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i really like the interior in this, right up until i see that stupid samsung tablet of a screen perched atop the dash. i understand its sort of necessary to have some sort of display but when its just stuck on there it looks almost like they nearly forgot to put it there, but then someone went WAITTTTTT!!!! WE FORGOT THE SCREEN!!!!!
I agree about the screen completely. I test drove a Lexus NX200, the new 4 banger. Drove great, but that screen made me insane. It so looked like they totally forgot, and then bolted it on.

And the even scarier thing is, that a few other car makers that should also know better are going along with the "trend". Mercedes, BMW and Lexus and maybe some others all did this at about the same time. WEIRD.
Old 11-11-15, 12:33 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

a tablet that is not touch capable.... is fail

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe