Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

UAW blasts GM for possible China-to-U.S. export (Buick)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-15, 08:26 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm sorry but we have seen products from China FAIL so often because of their lack of regard for quality. Now, they are producing American cars for Buick.. How is this possible? IS this acceptable, looking back on China's track record for making things they Ship to us?
Old 08-21-15, 01:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I am not surprised by this at all. It is becoming increasingly more difficult to build entry level cars like a Verano, Corolla, Civic in the US or Canada. It is far more profitable to use the Verano plant and build a $50k Enclave than it is to build a car that starts at $21k.

The China connection is only because Buick is very popular there.
Old 08-21-15, 04:30 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I'm sorry but we have seen products from China FAIL so often because of their lack of regard for quality. Now, they are producing American cars for Buick.. How is this possible? IS this acceptable, looking back on China's track record for making things they Ship to us?
I think I provided at least one example of a large American corporation whose products manufactured in China were actually recalled due to their own design issues. Are the majority of the products made in China poor quality due to poor materials and bad workmanship? The answer is YES. Is it because they are made in China? The answer is NO. The products are the results of what the companies are demanding of their suppliers. Cut throat competition is forcing them (as in the North American corporate buyers) to ask the suppliers ( who happen to be China based factories for this generation) to sacrifice quality for bottom of the barrel pricing.

On another note, China has different standards with respect to safety, acceptable materials and quality. The problem is that some companies assume that because a Chinese factory quoted them a lower price on a seemingly identical product, that it would be made with the same materials at the same quality level. Unless specified and written in the contract, it would be unlikely. The same would be true even if that factory was based in NA. The principle is that lower price means something had to give, and most business people will not chose to forego margins.

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-21-15 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-21-15, 05:41 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
I think I provided at least one example of a large American corporation whose products manufactured in China were actually recalled due to their own design issues. Are the majority of the products made in China poor quality due to poor materials and bad workmanship? The answer is YES. Is it because they are made in China? The answer is NO. The products are the results of what the companies are demanding of their suppliers. Cut throat competition is forcing them (as in the North American corporate buyers) to ask the suppliers ( who happen to be China based factories for this generation) to sacrifice quality for bottom of the barrel pricing.

On another note, China has different standards with respect to safety, acceptable materials and quality. The problem is that some companies assume that because a Chinese factory quoted them a lower price on a seemingly identical product, that it would be made with the same materials at the same quality level. Unless specified and written in the contract, it would be unlikely. The same would be true even if that factory was based in NA. The principle is that lower price means something had to give, and most business people will not chose to forego margins.
Yes, you have a Valid point but I was also referring to Chinese companies making stuff we Import..

My point is, can we trust them to build our cars? I mean, you seen them copy just about anything they think they can sell. (These days I don't know when I'm buying things If the product is OEM or a Chinese copy of that OEM piece) Scares me and it should scare everyone else.. I Def wouldn't be driving down the hwy at 70 mph in Chinese made car even though own by GM.. Would anyone here buy a Chinese-based car from a Chinese car maker?
Old 08-21-15, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am not surprised by this at all. It is becoming increasingly more difficult to build entry level cars like a Verano, Corolla, Civic in the US or Canada. It is far more profitable to use the Verano plant and build a $50k Enclave than it is to build a car that starts at $21k.
The Veranos coming out of the Wixom, MI plant are built so well (as are many of the Corollas and Civics sold in the U.S.) that I'm not sure the Chinese could duplicate it.

All three cars have good reliability ratings from Consumer Reports.
Old 11-14-15, 11:21 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Chinese buick... naw im good.
Old 11-14-15, 11:32 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chinese can build very quality stuff as well. Problem is it costs as much as anywhere else. Assembling is whole another story.
Old 11-15-15, 06:39 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm looks like China made cars are getting much better.

"New-vehicle owners reported 105 problems per 100 vehicles in J.D. Power’s China initial quality study, released last week. The number of problems reported has fallen from 168 in 2010, and was lower than the 112 industry average for the U.S. market this year.

“It doesn’t necessarily mean that China vehicles have better quality, but it shows the competitiveness of the China-produced vehicles,” Geoff Broderick, an automotive analyst for J.D. Power, wrote in an e-mail. More experienced production line workers, increased automation and more use of standardized quality-control processes have improved the quality of vehicles built in China, he said."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-frets-quality
Old 11-15-15, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

funny that... have said for years the chinese car tidal wave is coming... not long now.
Old 11-15-15, 10:15 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Hmmm looks like China made cars are getting much better.
As I mentioned in the other thread that this study was mentioned in, that's not what the data in the chart is for - the chart is pp100 for vehicles sold in China, not made in China. So a Lexus assembled in Japan or a Hyundai assembled in Korea or a Benz assembled in Uusikaupunki could count, so long as it was sold in China. (This just shows how bad journalism is these days that article writers who insert this data have no idea what it means - or even worse, don't care.)

The (more) relevant (but still not great) data from that study is for China domestic vehicles sold in China, which still have poor IQ at 120pp100, significantly higher than the pp100 we see for Japanese or even US-made cars that are sold in the US.