Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Static-Review: 2016 Mazda Miata

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-15, 08:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Other than being a two seater 'vert,there's quite a difference between a Z4 and a Miata.
Plus, some people just enjoy debating and arguing. Mainly arguing.
Old 08-22-15, 09:16 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Mercedes Benz AMG SL65 Roadster is two seater open top, it has a hand crafted engine and an MSRP of $217,500, I guess the Miata is a competitor?
Yes. Is it that hard to understand? You cannot use price point to define competition. That is creating false categories.

It is assumed that a higher price is better in all respects and therefore not in the same category. But is it always true?

Last edited by chikoo; 08-22-15 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 09:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Yes. Is it that hard to understand? You cannot use price point to define competition. That is creating false categories.
You have completely lost all credibility. Pricing and brand is ESSENTIAL for lower priced teirs

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-22-15 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 10:05 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

You have completely lost all credibility. Pricing and brand is ESSENTIAL for lower priced teirs
Thanks. I am not worried about my credibility. If you are you need help.

Regarding the tiers, they are artificial. Created by salespeople to differentiate their target customers, not the products.

Let me ask you this:

What would it take to make the Miata to be a competition to the Z4? Bumping up the price?

Last edited by chikoo; 08-22-15 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 10:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

T
What would it take to make the Miata to be a competition to the Z4? Bumping up the price?
While setting aside "brand" name, most people would never consider a Mazda to be anywhere near the brand recognition of BMW.

Perhaps offering 85 more HP with a turbo for starters. Perhaps an optional I6. A more luxurious interior.

And Audi TT, MB SLK belong in the discussion with a Z4.
Old 08-22-15, 10:35 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 653 Likes on 407 Posts

I test drove the 2016 Miata the other day. It is an absolutely fantastic little car. My local dealer had a surprising number of manual transmission cars available, but only in the grand touring trim. The transmission and clutch are excellent, it's a really easy car to drive with very predictable bite points and easy take up. Ride and handling are really most excellent.

I'm waiting for the club trim to be available as that car has different suspension, additional bracing and the limited slip differential but the car really is excellent and easily worth the money.
Old 08-22-15, 10:39 AM
swajames
Pole Position

While setting aside "brand" name, most people would never consider a Mazda to be anywhere near the brand recognition of BMW.

Perhaps offering 85 more HP with a turbo for starters. Perhaps an optional I6. A more luxurious interior.

The interior of the grand touring is high quality. It doesn't give up that much to the Z4. As for the bigger engines and more equipment etc, the car's primary goal is light weight. The power to weight ratio is just fine. It's way more fun than a Z4 - and much more bang for the buck.
Old 08-22-15, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Other than being a two seater 'vert,there's quite a difference between a Z4 and a Miata.
Under the skin, that's true.
Old 08-22-15, 10:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
The interior of the grand touring is high quality. It doesn't give up that much to the Z4. As for the bigger engines and more equipment etc, the car's primary goal is light weight. The power to weight ratio is just fine. It's way more fun than a Z4 - and much more bang for the buck.
I have a hard time believing that a 155 HP Miata can hold a candle to a 335hp Z4
Old 08-22-15, 10:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I test drove the 2016 Miata the other day. It is an absolutely fantastic little car. My local dealer had a surprising number of manual transmission cars available, but only in the grand touring trim. The transmission and clutch are excellent, it's a really easy car to drive with very predictable bite points and easy take up. Ride and handling are really most excellent.
Thanks for the report. It's been very difficult to get available manuals here....they pretty much all come off the truck pre-sold, at least for now.

I'm waiting for the club trim to be available as that car has different suspension, additional bracing and the limited slip differential but the car really is excellent and easily worth the money.
Good catch. The LSD and shock-tower brace are indeed standard now on the Club and Grand Touring models. I didn't see any reference to them when I first checked the web site.....but it's included on the build-your-own feature now.
Old 08-22-15, 10:49 AM
swajames
Pole Position

It's closer than you'd expect, but depends upon what you're measuring or value. The Mazda feels like it has more power than it does, and the connection to the road and level of involvement are better than in the Z4. It's a much lighter car so you'd expect that. The Mazda will obviously lose in a straight line, but it holds its own when it comes to cornering.
Old 08-22-15, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It's closer than you'd expect, but depends upon what you're measuring or value. The Mazda feels like it has more power than it does, and the connection to the road and level of involvement are better than in the Z4. It's a much lighter car so you'd expect that. The Mazda will obviously lose in a straight line, but it holds its own when it comes to cornering.
How is it compared to a MB SL AMG V12?
Old 08-22-15, 10:59 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I agree with the brand recognition. That alone does not make it not competitive with BMW though.

More HP or less. For ages, BMW cars were less powerful, less luxurious than even a Nissan, for crying out loud. Yet BMW was on top. Why? Because of the price? No. They were able to demand that price for it was about how it connected with the driver. It is in that regard that I look at the roadsters. They are not a means of showing off luxury. For that, go for a 7 series.
Old 08-22-15, 11:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No offense, people, but I did not start (or intend) for this thread to be a war between the Miata and Z4 as to what is applicable and what isn't. Like most of my reviews, I tried to accurately describe this vehicle as it is, from stem to stern, and what one is getting.
Old 08-22-15, 11:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with the brand recognition. That alone does not make it not competitive with BMW though.
s.
How about Mazda Miata vs a Mini roadster or Subi BRZ? That to me is the closest American competitors. I would believe Mazda themselves and accredited journalists have made that comarison.

Quick Reply: MM Static-Review: 2016 Mazda Miata