Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new big GM SUVs are really growing on me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 11:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,957 Posts
Default The new big GM SUVs are really growing on me...

Sure the Expedition may be rated to tow more, but what kind of longevity will it have, and how confidently and stably will it tow?

There's a reason why even Ford elected to leave a solid rear axle in their large pickups, despite the move to an aluminum body. It's just a stronger, more robust setup for when real work is being done.

If I needed to tow something big, then solid rear would be a selling point to me.
Old 09-06-15, 12:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I warmed up to them a bit, but I'd have to agree, there's a lot of "old GM" in their design. They could have been way more modern or contemporary at least on the outside. While sharp edges and lines are vogue right now, boxy is not. Then a curse happened to me. Once I saw a resemblance to a hearse, that's all I could think about now everytime I see one.
Attached Thumbnails The new big GM SUVs are really growing on me...-hearse2.jpg   The new big GM SUVs are really growing on me...-hearse1.jpg  
Old 09-06-15, 03:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Sure the Expedition may be rated to tow more, but what kind of longevity will it have, and how confidently and stably will it tow?

There's a reason why even Ford elected to leave a solid rear axle in their large pickups, despite the move to an aluminum body. It's just a stronger, more robust setup for when real work is being done.

If I needed to tow something big, then solid rear would be a selling point to me.
SW15LS has it correct. If a vehicle is going to do heavy work, you can't beat a solid rear axle.

Now, I'm not saying that one buys a Suburban to tow 30,000 lbs.....that's not the case. But GM does not use solid axles in these vehicles simply to save costs. Considering the caliber of materials and the amount of sheer metal that is used in those big rear axles, it's doubtful that they are saving much over an IRS, if anything........plus the fact that they are already making money hand over fist on every Suburban sold, just like Ford does with its full-size SUVs and trucks,
Old 09-06-15, 05:14 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

About 3 weeks ago I had a new Yukon XL SLT for about a week for a family vacation. Only put about 900 miles on it but what a fantastic family truckster for this use Plenty of room and was like driving around ones living room. Also with the new cylinder deactivation we ended up getting about 23 MPG on the long highway stints although in the city its pretty much the same ole 14 MPG.

I think the XL is too big for daily use, but then again this is not the type a vehicle I personally want as a daily anyway. But going a road trip? Yeah sweet ride.
Old 09-06-15, 06:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Once I saw a resemblance to a hearse, that's all I could think about now everytime I see one.
Reminds me of the old joke slogan for these gm vehicles... 'Sooner or later you'll be riding in one of these.'
Old 09-06-15, 06:54 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I hate big SUVs because IMO most of the people who drive them don't need something that big, but I will agree that I do like the new ones from GM.
I despise them because they are not snug and cozy.
Old 09-06-15, 07:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
I despise them because they are not snug and cozy.
You obviously don't have kids LOL
Old 09-06-15, 08:55 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
Also with the new cylinder deactivation we ended up getting about 23 MPG on the long highway stints although in the city its pretty much the same ole 14 MPG.
Thats actually pretty good mpg considering an RX 350 gets ~17mpg combined (real world) and is a smaller vehicle. I know, apples to oranges, but still...
Old 09-06-15, 10:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

^^^ definitely, for that huge vehicle that's really good.
Old 09-06-15, 10:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I mean...thats better mileage than we get in our Sedona lol
Old 09-06-15, 03:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The lighting on the Escalade is very polarizing at night

Old 09-06-15, 05:09 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shifter in the steering column will always keep me away......
Old 09-06-15, 10:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Oh I don't completely hate on them. They're great to drive, GM has always done a good job on making such a huge behemoth handle and drive a lot smaller than it really is. The powertrains are great as well, along with the towing capacity.

Its just everything else, space ultization, small side mirrors, interior trim(once again its decent, but not great, especially for what they charge), small windows. Not to mention the styling, which is boxier than ever, except for that odd looking windswept front clip on the Chevy trucks.

The old models, you sat in them, you had a commanding view out of that greenhouse, there was a lot of glass. The new models, you feel like you're riding in a tank, and as a result it feels less roomy inside.

I've sat in all variants of the new GM SUV's and all the trim levels of the new Expidition, and I will say I vastly prefer the Expidition. Interior seemed nicer and the view out was much better. I've had a lot of seat time in both the previous year's Expiditions and GM trucks, I'm predicting the GM trucks will drive a lot nicer, while the Ford will ride nicer, at least that's been my experience. A 2013 Expidition, that had to have one of the most isolated, quietest, and smoothest rides out of anything I've ever driven. It was kind of shocking, because you didn't notice it at first how damn good the ride was. It wasn't like an old Lincoln or Cadillac, where you float along, in that truck, you just felt NOTHING. Steering was the same way though, felt like you were driving a cruise ship.

Now neither of those trucks had anything on that Mercedes Benz GL450 I drove for a while. That had a nice ride as well, way firmer than the Ford, but it never jiggled you the way some of those GM trucks did that had the 20" or 22" wheel option. The handling was great, it drove like a car, and the thrust from that twin turbo V8 was quite astounding, quicker than the Escalade and it made the Expidition with the 5.4 V8 feel like a total slug. Interior was very black and German, fautlessly assembled, way better than the Escalde, Ford, or Navigator.
We went up to the cottages today in Ontario near Muskoka. I saw quite a few of the new GM suvs along the way, I do see what you mean in how the windows are on the small size. I am not sure why.
Old 09-07-15, 07:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We went up to the cottages today in Ontario near Muskoka. I saw quite a few of the new GM suvs along the way, I do see what you mean in how the windows are on the small size. I am not sure why.

One likely reason is the vehicle rollover standards. The rash of SUV rollovers in the 1990s, when many new and inexperienced drivers started buying and driving them, led to roof-crush standards that generally forced automakers to start using larger and/or thicker roof-pillars on the side of the vehicle to prevent the roof from buckling in like a tin can when upside down. The actual thicknesses of the pillars.of course, depends on a number of design/styling factors (such as the type of material and metal-alloy strength used inside them)...but, in general, the more they have to support, the thicker they have to be. The thicker they are, of course, the less room for glass between them......hence, smaller windows. This is especially true with large massive SUVs like the Suburban and Yukon, where the roof-pillars have to support as much as three tons or more during a rollover.
Old 09-07-15, 07:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweatshop
Shifter in the steering column will always keep me away......
I agree, its time for GM to retire the column shifter. But I bet a lot of onwers who use full size trucks and SUVs likely prefer it that way.

Quick Reply: The new big GM SUVs are really growing on me...