Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new big GM SUVs are really growing on me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-15, 07:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The lighting on the Escalade is very polarizing at night

The Escalade IMO has the best front and rear lighting of any SUV on the road currently.
Old 09-07-15, 08:36 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I really like what GM has done on the latest iteration of the Tahoe. I had one as a rental and the interior quality was vastly superior to the previous generation. We averaged about 21mpg highway, the same as an RX350 on the same route. The surprise was the Tahoe was actually quieter than the RX.
Old 09-07-15, 08:40 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a 15 Tahoe as a rental. Felt cheap inside. I just wasn't that impressed.
Old 09-07-15, 08:42 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You obviously don't have kids LOL
My family consists of 7 members. My idea is not to lug everyone everywhere all the time.
Old 09-07-15, 08:45 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

I'll pass. Nothing they make has ever appealed to me. When I was in the market for a big vehicle I looked at Tahoes, Suburban, and so forth. Landed in a Sienna for reliability, ease of entry & exit, drive and so forth. Then my coworker GM transmission broke at 67k. Then the engine had problems. Same old broken story out of Detroit. Make em fast & cheap and charge more for it.
Old 09-07-15, 05:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm not going to be in the market for another car for several years at this point, but I will say that the new big GM SUVs are really growing on me. At first I thought they were flat, angular, and in general sort of ugly, but I'm starting to like them, all of them really the Tahoe/Suburban, Yukon/Yukon XL and the Escalade/Escalade ESV...

Although, optioned as I would want a Tahoe comes out to an astonishing $73k, and a Suburban a more astonishing $76k!

What does everybody else think?
My neighbor has a Tahoe. He's a regional manager at a chain store and drives all over the state for work, and is due for a new car by the end of the month. His company gets a discount at Chevy and Ford--he plans on moving up to a Suburban on the replacement.
Old 09-07-15, 07:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

friend recently bought yukon denali - absolutely loves it.
Old 09-07-15, 09:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
My family consists of 7 members. My idea is not to lug everyone everywhere all the time.
We like to take our children with us places. At least have the ability to. 7 months old...can't exactly leave the, behind.
Old 09-08-15, 01:01 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Drove my friends new escalade, interior is nice but nowhere near Range Rover nice. And acceleration on highway is slow.
Old 09-08-15, 03:35 AM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll keep my 15 year old excursion. My commute is 14 miles round trip a day. It does two school drop offs and to the shop then home. Four times a year the car trailer is hooked to it and it drags a car to a event and it does odd jobs and a trip to Ft. Lauderdale to get on the cruise ship. I'll wear this one out and probably buy another as several low mileage ones pop up. I don't care how nice the new GM's are, but they are not $70k nice IMO.
Old 09-08-15, 05:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Excursion is yuuuuuge
Old 09-08-15, 06:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Excursion is yuuuuuge
It was also, IMO, without question, the worst-handling full-sized truck I have ever test-driven...much worse than its Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV competition. Its weight, even when empty, often pushed the better part of 7000 lbs., and it was simply too heavy for its chassis and underpinnings. It wandered all over the place while trying to keep it in its lane, the suspension crashed and bottomed out on even mild undulations, and the front end bobbed up and down like a rowboat as the truck came to a stop....you could actually watch (and feel) the hoodline rise and fall in relation to the road in front of you. The brakes worked okay at lower speed, but were out of their league at cruise speeds. true, True, the full-sized GM SUVs had their share of well-known brake issues, but most of those were addressed with the 2007 redesign, and they did not suffer from the Excursion's instability. Consumer Reports, when tested the Excursion, came up with more or less the same conclusion.....it was too heavy for its underpinnings. In the media's eyes, though, it wasn't the overworked suspension that ended the Excursion's run in the U.S. market, but its physical size and atrocious fuel mileage that made it the classic image-target of many environmentalists. Ford ended up dropping it because of the pressure it got from environmental groups.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-08-15 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-08-15, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KJG92
I'll keep my 15 year old excursion. My commute is 14 miles round trip a day. It does two school drop offs and to the shop then home. Four times a year the car trailer is hooked to it and it drags a car to a event and it does odd jobs and a trip to Ft. Lauderdale to get on the cruise ship. I'll wear this one out and probably buy another as several low mileage ones pop up. I don't care how nice the new GM's are, but they are not $70k nice IMO.
With all due respect (if you like your Excursion, fine...I'll respect your opinion). But I found the one I test-drove to have serious problems with an inadequate suspension for its weight. For some reason, the suspension worked better on its F-250/350 straight-truck brother than on the people-moving Excursion derivative....I don't know why, except perhaps they softened it too much for the Excursion.
Old 09-08-15, 06:23 AM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess when you try to drive it like a half ton then you'd get those results. I've had mine for ten years and although it does not handle like a smaller half ton you have to drive it for what it is. Mine weighs 8600 lbs. it does not stop on a dime but then again it goes back to the driving thing. I love the fact we can take two families and pack all our stuff inside and don't have to have those dumb rooftop carriers, haul a car, boat or camper and be comfortable going down the road. The problem with most drivers is they are bad drivers and don't know their cars capabilities. They'll try to dive a full size suv like a mid size car and then wonder why the kill brakes or end up plowing into someone or end up on rolling the thing. I saw it all too often on crash scenes where it was pure driver error. I don't know what you drove but the suspension is fine in mine. I'm sure they dumbed it down for all the soccer moms but again, it is what it is.

The environazis cried about it but most of them are hypocrites anyway. My 16 mpg's on the interstate with two families beats taking two cars. But then again with just my family on a road trip, the comfort is priceless. Im not going to defend having it. It works for me and I actually use it for what it was built for. Many SUV's are not.

Last edited by KJG92; 09-08-15 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-08-15, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KJG92
I guess when you try to drive it like a half ton then you'd get those results. I've had mine for ten years and although it does not handle like a smaller half ton you have to drive it for what it is. Mine weighs 8600 lbs. it does not stop on a dime but then again it goes back to the driving thing. I love the fact we can take two families and pack all our stuff inside and don't have to have those dumb rooftop carriers, haul a car, boat or camper and be comfortable going down the road. The problem with most drivers is they are bad drivers and don't know their cars capabilities. They'll try to dive a full size suv like a mid size car and then wonder why the kill brakes or end up plowing into someone or end up on rolling the thing. I saw it all too often on crash scenes where it was pure driver error.
Yes, I'm aware that any full-size truck has to be driven carefully (GM models, for example, had very weak brakes on them for a number of years). I just found, though, that even by full-size truck standards, a LOT of caution had to be used while driving an Excursion.....more so than usual with the GM competitors.

But, hey, that was just my own experience, though....and CR's, to some extent, on the specific ones that we drove. It's possible that Ford made chassis suspension improvements on later versions, and that you may have one of those that drive better.

The environazis cried about it but most of them are hypocrites anyway. My 16 mpg's on the interstate with two families beats taking two cars. But then again with just my family on a road trip, the comfort is priceless.
I'll agree that the Greenies went overboard from their opposition to the Excursion from an environmental point of view. For one thing, unlike Suburbans, not that many Excursions were actually sold, so it alone did not have much of an impact on total fuel-use across the country.

Quick Reply: The new big GM SUVs are really growing on me...