Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new big GM SUVs are really growing on me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-15, 09:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I'm aware that any full-size truck has to be driven carefully (GM models, for example, had very weak brakes on them for a number of years). I just found, though, that even by full-size truck standards, a LOT of caution had to be used while driving an Excursion.....more so than usual with the GM competitors.

But, hey, that was just my own experience, though....and CR's, to some extent, on the specific ones that we drove.
but CR are the idiots that did the suzuki samurai roll over 'sensationalism' by trying to drive one like a ferrari.

and can't recall who did the whole 'roll over' thing with ford explorers. even though i had a generation AFTER the one during that 'scandal', i could not rent a uhaul trailer because they said my vehicle wasn't safe.

my explorer was surprisingly stable and flat around corners.

as KJG92 rightly points out - one should drive vehicles as they're intended to be used. a behemoth like an excursion should be driven like a suburban, or peterbilt not a camry.
Old 09-08-15, 10:24 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I agree. I looove the way how they how look, esp. the black escalade with dark window tints.

On seating AND cargo space, you can't beat these full size 3-row suvs.

But since I don't tow, I have my sienna for a road trips and lots of storage in the back with plenty of passing power

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Escalade IMO has the best front and rear lighting of any SUV on the road currently.
That is the main reason I like the escalade over the yukons
Old 09-08-15, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but CR are the idiots that did the suzuki samurai roll over 'sensationalism' by trying to drive one like a ferrari.
Lots of people, especially young inexperienced drivers, were hurt or killed in Samurais. At one time, it led all American-market vehicles in auto-related lawsuits....and that wasn't necessarily from everyone trying to drive them like Ferraris. They would flip under conditions that even some other small SUVs could safely handle.

Remember the Daihatsu Rocky, the Samurai's closest competitor? (as close as you follow the car market, I'm sure you do). They saw what happened with the Samurai, and deliberately widened its front and rear tracks several inches for the American-spec versions, to make it more stable. (Japanese-market Rockys had a very narrow track, like the Samurai). In the U.S., the Rocky never had anywhere near the Samurai's problems with the tipsies, even though Daihatsu was ultimately not successful in the U.S..

and can't recall who did the whole 'roll over' thing with ford explorers. even though i had a generation AFTER the one during that 'scandal', i could not rent a uhaul trailer because they said my vehicle wasn't safe.
You have a point there....post-scandal Explorers not only got a better suspension/steering, but better tires and better PSIs as well.

my explorer was surprisingly stable and flat around corners.
The Explorer was not an Excursion, though, by any means. I found the Excursion I test-drove to be downright scary. It required extreme caution for even what many would consider normal cruise. When I took it back and turned in the key and plate, I felt as tired as if I had been driving all day......which I find rare with modern vehicles.

as KJG92 rightly points out - one should drive vehicles as they're intended to be used. a behemoth like an excursion should be driven like a suburban, or peterbilt not a camry.
Agreed.....And I respect his opinion as an owner. But, in my (admittedly) limited experience, even trying to drive Expedition like you would a Suburban (which I generally did on the test-drive) produced stability problems. I'm not an engineer, but, from what I could make out and what automotive knowledge I do have, the curb weight just seemed too heavy for the suspension and chassis.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-08-15 at 11:05 AM.