Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen diesel scandal

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 06:16 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-from-vw-tdis/

Consumer Reports Strips ‘Recommended’ Rating From VW TDIs

This is hardly the most severe fallout from Volkswagen admitting that it installed “defeat devices” on some of its diesel models to help pass emission tests, but it’s the first of many.

Consumer Reports announced Friday that it was stripping the models of its “recommended” rating until recall repair work was complete on those cars. The publication had bestowed the ratings on Volkswagen’s Jetta TDI and Passat TDI models.

On Friday, the Environmental Protection Agency said it would force VW to recall nearly 500,000 diesel cars for the illegal “defeat device” that could detect when it was being tested for emissions and reduce nitrogen oxide emissions by 10 to 40 times beyond its normal operations. The EPA could fine VW up to $37,500 for each car that violates its standards, which could tally up to $18 billion in fines.

According to reports, VW issued a voluntary recall in 2014 for the emissions flap, but subsequent testing showed limited improvement.

The unusual action by the EPA of recalling cars could be followed by an unprecedented penalty for the automaker as the government cracks down on automakers.

According to the EPA, the cars can still be driven on U.S. roads and dealers may still sell the cars as new or used, but owners may not be able to register or renew registrations for the cars until the recall repair work is complete.

Pass the popcorn.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...agen/72436098/

Consumer Reports yanks VW recommendations

The Environmental Protection Agency's allegation that Volkswagen deliberately evaded the Clean Air Law by defeating emissions testing on 482,000 diesel cars is costing it a coveted endorsement that could hurt sales even further.

Consumer Reports, the magazine that has become the buying bible for many car purchasers, is suspending its "recommended" rating of two VW models: the diesel versions of both the Jetta and larger Passat sedans.

The magazine says the recommendations will remain suspended until it can perform tests on the cars after recall repairs.

"Once the emissions systems are functioning properly, we will assess whether the repair has adversely affected performance or fuel economy," it wrote in a statement.

The EPA accused Volkswagen on Friday of installing software on VW and Audi smaller cars that amounts to a "defeat device," meant to evade federal emissions laws.

The software code allows all of the car's emissions systems to work when the cars are taken in for clean-air testing. But as soon as the emissions tests are complete, the system reverts to spewing pollutants. The cars emitted nitrogen oxide at a level of up to 40 times the standard level, the EPA alleges.

So-called "clean diesels" have been a big part of Volkswagen's and Audi's portfolio. The two brands together account for 17 of the 44 models that offer diesel-powered engines for the 2015 model year, Edmunds.com says.

Volkswagen will be required to recall the vehicles to make sure they meet the emissions thresholds.

The diesel cars under scrutiny in the Volkswagen case are the 2009 to 2014 Volkswagen Jetta, Beetle and Golf; the 2014 and 2015 Volkswagen Passat, and the 2009 to 2015 Audi A3.
Old 09-21-15, 06:21 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ions/72519678/

Volkswagen issues sales halt; CEO apologizes on emissions cheating

Martin Winterkorn ordered an external investigation after the EPA disclosed the violations.

Volkswagen's CEO said he is "deeply sorry" for violating U.S. emissions standards and ordered an external investigation Sunday, two days after the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) accused the automaker of purposefully manipulating emissions tests for almost 500,000 vehicles.

The German automaker ordered its U.S. dealerships to stop selling cars impacted by the probe until its engineers can deliver a fix.

The EPA accused Volkswagen of installing software on 482,000 diesel cars in the USA that allowed it to cheat emissions tests, potentially exposing people to harmful pollutants at levels of 40 times the acceptable standard and respiratory conditions such as asthma.

"I personally am deeply sorry that we have broken the trust of our customers and the public," Martin Winterkorn, Volkswagen's CEO, said in a statement. "We will cooperate fully with the responsible agencies, with transparency and urgency, to clearly, openly and completely establish all of the facts of this case." Winterkorn pledged to regain the public's trust.

The violations could expose Volkswagen — the world's largest vehicle manufacturer through the first six months of 2015 — to up to $18 billion in federal fines if the EPA assesses the maximum possible penalty of $37,500 per vehicle.

The violations could invite charges of false marketing by regulators, a vehicle recall and payment to car owners, either voluntarily or through lawsuits. Volkswagen advertised the cars under the "Clean Diesel" moniker.

The state of California is investigating the emissions violations.

"We do not and will not tolerate violations of any kind of our internal rules or of the law," Winterkorn said. The company's board takes the allegations "very seriously," he said.

The EPA accused the German automaker of adopting what it called a "defeat device" to trick U.S. regulators into believing its cars met Clean Air Act standards for nitrogen oxides. Volkswagen admitted to investigators it had installed the defeat device, the EPA said.

The EPA said impacted cars include the 2009 to 2014 Volkswagen Jetta, Beetle and Golf, the 2014 and 2015 Volkswagen Passat and the 2009 to 2015 Audi A3.

Volkswagen told dealers they cannot sell the 4-cylinder diesel versions of those cars until a fix is available, Volkswagen spokesman Mario Guerreiro said Sunday.

The sales halt could put a significant dent in the company's September sales performance. About 20% of Volkswagen's vehicle sales are diesel engines, said AutoPacific analyst Dave Sullivan.

"It totally goes against all of the marketing they have had of a clean diesel," Sullivan said of the violations. "That’s one of the biggest selling points for Volkswagen."

"The trust of our customers and the public is and continues to be our most important asset," Winterkorn said Sunday. "We at Volkswagen will do everything that must be done in order to re-establish the trust that so many people have placed in us, and we will do everything necessary in order to reverse the damage this has caused. This matter has first priority for me, personally, and for our entire Board of Management."
Old 09-21-15, 07:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASMAJOR
The same EPA that allowed this to happen? Ill reserve my judgment until all the facts are out. They are a joke of an agency.

Originally Posted by spwolf
what does VW cheating emission laws have to do with CR?
Good points here on both counts.
Old 09-21-15, 08:08 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Volkswagen's CEO said he is "deeply sorry" for getting caught violating U.S. emissions standards
This is the actual truth. I also find it very very difficult to believe he didn't know this was going on.
Old 09-21-15, 08:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good points here on both counts.
How is that river picture a good point? An EPA contractor screwed up. Key word here being contractor.
Old 09-21-15, 09:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
How is that river picture a good point? An EPA contractor screwed up. Key word here being contractor.
I agree. Plus, it's like saying they shouldn't pursue these allegations against VW because of a river spill. A big disconnect.
Old 09-21-15, 09:36 AM
nick01
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the point is that when the EPA screws up it gets to just say "I'm sorry, we will do better going forward". It won't impose a fine on itself for any wrong doing. VW admitted its guilt and will get fined extensively. 2 different scenarios but the disconnect comes from the EPA forgiving itself but capitalizing on opportunities to gouge private organizations any chance they get.
Old 09-21-15, 09:47 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I can attest to that. Last time I was in Paris, the whole place stunk like diesel fumes, especially bad on the highway. That was back in 2010, so I don't know if things have changed in the last 5 years.
Yeah that's just one of the reasons I wouldn't own a diesel...dirty azz shti....and the fuel is just as bad, oily, nasty, stinky.

I hope they do fine the shti out of VW.....well deserved

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have a sneaky suspicion that we are going to see a CR article in October saying that 40% of diesel owners in a survey are reporting smellier drives to work and polluted clouds over their homes at night. Of course CR will not let anyone know how many vehicles are in the study or how they actually came to their headline baiting findings.
Originally Posted by spwolf
what does VW cheating emission laws have to do with CR?
not a danm thing...Jill just loves CR and tries to take any opportunity to bash them.

Last edited by bagwell; 09-21-15 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-21-15, 10:37 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick01
I think the point is that when the EPA screws up it gets to just say "I'm sorry, we will do better going forward". It won't impose a fine on itself for any wrong doing. VW admitted its guilt and will get fined extensively. 2 different scenarios but the disconnect comes from the EPA forgiving itself but capitalizing on opportunities to gouge private organizations any chance they get.
Very different, because intent matters.

VW's intent was to circumvent EPA regulations through a premeditated and coordinated effort to misrepresent emissions testing results.

On the other hand, the EPA's only intention was to clean up pollution. During that process the EPA's negligence allowed the pollution to spread causing more damage.
Old 09-21-15, 11:09 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...lean-air-group

Good article on Bloomberg about how this whole thing got uncovered.

German and his group were actually trying to prove exactly what Volkswagen has been claiming for years: that diesel is clean. They asked West Virginia University for help. The school’s Center for Alternative Fuels, Engines and Emissions had the right equipment -- a portable emission measurement system to stick in the car trunk, attached to a probe to shove up the exhaust pipe. German’s group, funded mostly by foundations, didn’t.

Testers drove the monitor-equipped diesels from San Diego to Seattle because if Volkswagen had gamed the emission test, they couldn’t be sure how, German said. In another cheating case years ago, he said, long-haul trucks were equipped with devices that allowed the engines to gradually discharge more and more harmful nitrogen oxides the longer the vehicle cruised at the same speed. The more emissions, generally speaking, the greater the engine power. The 1,300-mile trip under varying conditions would expose any such scheme in the VWs, German said.

On the open road, the Jetta exceeded the U.S. nitrogen oxide emissions standard by 15 to 35 times. The Passat was 5 to 20 times the standard.

“It was shocking,” German said.

The BMW X5 passed the road test.
Old 09-21-15, 11:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I worked in government for many years....and we used some contractors ourselves. But in government (which the EPA is part of) an agency is legally responsible if its contractors screw up. In fact, part of my job was not only my own regular work, but reviewing the work those contractors did.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-21-15 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-21-15, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Consumer Reports Strips ‘Recommended’ Rating From VW TDIs
of course people reading the dog-eared copies of CR in dentists waiting rooms will still see the tdis recommended.
Old 09-21-15, 02:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
of course people reading the dog-eared copies of CR in dentists waiting rooms will still see the tdis recommended.
I'm sure VW wouldn't mind.
Old 09-21-15, 03:50 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I worked in government for many years....and we used some contractors ourselves. But in government (which the EPA is part of) an agency is legally responsible if its contractors screw up. In fact, part of my job was not only my own regular work, but reviewing the work those contractors did.
That much is clear, not only are they responsible but there follow-up has been poor. But that doesn't take away from the fact that VW admitted they were lying. That is a fact. What more do you need to allow the EPA to launch their investigation? What happened with the supervision of contractor that caused the river contamination is completely separate.
Old 09-21-15, 04:28 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...lean-air-group

Good article on Bloomberg about how this whole thing got uncovered.
Good read. Ironic how the cheat was only uncovered by a diesel advocate group that was out to prove how clean diesel is. VW has really violated the trust these people had in it.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen diesel scandal