Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model X

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 03:07 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

no it does not. It looks odd when you stretch the model s vertically
Old 07-24-15, 11:55 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Old 09-30-15, 03:10 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tesla Model X

Thoughts on the Tesla Model X debut last night?

I find I'm more impressed with the car than I thought I would be. Now, the average NX buyer wouldn't think of cross shopping these (45k v. 100k) but its certainly something that should be looked into. When you factor 4-5k in fuel costs every year, within 10 yrs of ownership, you have covered the initial cost of the Tesla. Now, there is a lot of depreciation and side math to it, but its something to think about.

Now, how about those gull wing doors. 3 hinges with ultrasonic sensors so that the doors judge distance properly? 260 mile range?

If the car is anything like the Model S I test drove last summer, that car is going to be absolutely stunning....

And best of all....0-60 in 3.2 sec when properly equipped!
Old 09-30-15, 04:54 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I looked at the Tesla line up and a good friend has the P85D. The problem for us is the range and refuel time. We have 2 cars, currently the NX200T F sport and a 2013 MB C63 sedan. We chose these cars based on our needs and the NX, while used for daily drives to work, also serves for vacations and road trips several times per year. We put on 2500 miles in the first 10 days he owned the NX. The C63 is a much better driving car but drinks fuel like triathlete. The NX gives us more storage, is smoother, quieter, a more relaxing vehicle for our road trips. The Tesla would take about 30 minute to refuel provided we follow routes with the proper sharing stations. Refueling our NX takes 5-6 minutes and can be done every 300 miles instead of 200 miles. This recharge time would add several hours to our driving time. So for now, the Tesla does not fit our needs. Perhaps when the C63 lease is done......
Old 09-30-15, 05:19 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

The range is certainly a concern. Especially when Elon is claiming the X can tow 5000lbs, but won't detail how much that range will suffer because of it.

As for charging, I'm not quite sure what they are going to do. They need to continue to widen their network, but they can't "smack" people on the hand for using them all the time. I have a supercharger near my home, but there aren't many available otherwise. So it makes a trip a little difficult to plan. Such as, when we went on a vacation a couple weeks back to the middle of nowhere, I would have been able to get us to the location on a single charge, but then where do I go? The place only had 120V outlets (which charges at 5mi/hr), and I can't plug the car in for 2 days to get a full charge back.

As for the C63 chugging gas, you get no pity from me haha. You pay to play hahaha My Camaro will average 6-8mpg around town next year

Last edited by Swacer; 09-30-15 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-30-15, 08:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

You guys both mentioned my main concerns with EV's and Tesla in particular. Earlier this year we took a trip from the Chicago are to Lincoln, NE which normally is around 7 hours with a couple of rest stops. Out of curiosity I checked to see what a trip in a Tesla would be like using supercharging stations along the way. As it turned out, on this route, it would have taken around 4-5 hours longer each way due to detours for charging and the needed charging times. This is an extreme case, other trips, wouldn't need such long delays. As the technology improves and more stations are built I'm sure things will improve and EV travel will become more convenient. For now though EV's don't suit our travel needs.
Old 09-30-15, 08:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I love Tesla and we'll look into them at some point in the future I am sure.

Originally Posted by Swacer
When you factor 4-5k in fuel costs every year, within 10 yrs of ownership, you have covered the initial cost of the Tesla.
That would be a LOT of miles each year to get to 4-5k in fuel costs. At 20 mpg and 15k miles a year, you'd use 750 gallons. At $3 a gallon you'd be at $2250 a year, or $3k a year for $4 a gallon gas. Then from that you'd need to subtract the cost of the electricity for charging to find the real savings per mile.
Old 09-30-15, 08:16 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I love Tesla and we'll look into them at some point in the future I am sure.

That would be a LOT of miles each year to get to 4-5k in fuel costs. At 20 mpg and 15k miles a year, you'd use 750 gallons. At $3 a gallon you'd be at $2250 a year, or $3k a year for $4 a gallon gas. Then from that you'd need to subtract the cost of the electricity for charging to find the real savings per mile.
That's true, I kinda picked that number out of my #(*
Old 09-30-15, 08:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

That's true, I kinda picked that number out of my #(*
Eh, it doesn't really matter though, when you consider this:

0-60 in 3.2 sec when properly equipped!
Old 09-30-15, 08:40 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Eh, it doesn't really matter though, when you consider this:

Scary to think a SUV being only .3 behind a Z07 vette
Old 09-30-15, 09:11 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

You guys are looking at EVs incorrectly. They are meant for city driving and not for road trips. Can you take them on long trips? Sure, but that's not their sweet-spot.

I just turned in a 3-year lease on a 2013 Volt. The Volt—like other PHEVs—are EV first, gasoline generator second. I used it primarily for city driving and (in those three years) only filled up three times. A few of my friends have Teslas, but it's not their main car. Now, one of my friends has a Fisker and that's his only car.
Old 09-30-15, 09:45 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXOwner
You guys are looking at EVs incorrectly. They are meant for city driving and not for road trips. Can you take them on long trips? Sure, but that's not their sweet-spot.

I just turned in a 3-year lease on a 2013 Volt. The Volt—like other PHEVs—are EV first, gasoline generator second. I used it primarily for city driving and (in those three years) only filled up three times. A few of my friends have Teslas, but it's not their main car. Now, one of my friends has a Fisker and that's his only car.
Um no, I'm looking at EV as a car that is supposed to replace my daily driver.

Saying that a car can do THIS, but not THAT, makes the car a half #(* attempt, and if they keep it that way, will be why the EV will never surpass an internal combustion engine.

It can't be THIS and THAT, it has to be EVERYTHING.

Last edited by Swacer; 09-30-15 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-30-15, 10:16 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Um no, I'm looking at EV as a car that is supposed to replace my daily driver.
Um, yeah—that's the point I'm trying to get through to you guys. EVs aren't meant to replace daily drivers if your daily drive does not consist of short city, commutes.
Old 09-30-15, 10:36 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Um, yeah—that's the point I'm trying to get through to you guys. EVs aren't meant to replace daily drivers if your daily drive does not consist of short city, commutes.
Then they are pointless IMO
Old 09-30-15, 10:47 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Then they are pointless IMO
For you, they are "pointless". Just to remind you, you are not the only driver on this earth. For a many others, EVs are the way to go.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model X