Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus: Buying Used vs. New Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 10:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I never buy used. I look at as you are buying someone else's problems.
Old 10-15-15, 12:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I've done both with great results. My TSX and my 4Runner were purchased used, with very low miles, and both were excellent vehicles. Lately I've been going with new, but I would still consider used, depending on the car, price, and condition.
Old 10-15-15, 10:18 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought the last two (2008, 2012) Mazda 6's new. Great, had fun but won't do that again with any car due to depreciation. I'm over buying new cars. Lately been looking at four doors and have really liked offerings from Porsche Panamera, Lexus GS 450H or LS hybrids with low miles. To each their own. Just enjoy life.
Old 10-17-15, 08:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I've done both with great results. My TSX and my 4Runner were purchased used, with very low miles, and both were excellent vehicles. Lately I've been going with new, but I would still consider used, depending on the car, price, and condition.
Yes, one CAN get a good used car, but it's obviously a lot riskier and more a matter of rolling the dice than with a new one. Of course, a brand-new car is no guarantee of trouble-free ownership, ether, but you lessen the odds quite a bit.
Old 10-17-15, 01:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, one CAN get a good used car, but it's obviously a lot riskier and more a matter of rolling the dice than with a new one. Of course, a brand-new car is no guarantee of trouble-free ownership, ether, but you lessen the odds quite a bit.
Yes I agree, you lessen the odds substantially and you get a new car warranty and you get to experience a car NEW. If one has the money for new car, I cannot understand why they would want to buy a car that is used.
Old 10-17-15, 02:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes I agree, you lessen the odds substantially and you get a new car warranty and you get to experience a car NEW. If one has the money for new car, I cannot understand why they would want to buy a car that is used.
You get more car with used. You can get a brand new IS350 F Sport or a used M3, Carrera S, CTS V etc...

I could see the benefits of a used car but I tend to keep my cars for at least 8 years so new was the way to go for me.
Old 10-17-15, 02:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
You get more car with used. You can get a brand new IS350 F Sport or a used M3, Carrera S, CTS V etc...

I could see the benefits of a used car but I tend to keep my cars for at least 8 years so new was the way to go for me.
I do not agree with you. I think you get more car with an IS350F with zero miles vs a Carrera with 30,000 miles. The zero miles is what is more appealing to me. You also got maintenance issues such as brakes and tires way earlier on a used.
Old 10-17-15, 09:01 PM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With the Lexus we looked at new and used RX 350, new and used Caddy SRX and new Nissan Murano. Surprised me when we went with a used RX350. The logic is, we don't put many miles on a car (7K per year). So a low mileage, older version fit our needs. I estimate the RX350 will last us 7 to 10 years. We took into consideration that a RX 350 is built to last at least 200K miles.
Old 10-18-15, 06:16 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I used to pay cash and buy used cars so I can spent less for a higher end car that I wouldn't be able to afford. Then I drive it for a while, usually 6 months to 1 year and sell it a little less than I spent and move on to another one. But this was getting old and no matter how much I pay, like my last CPO 750Li individual, for 75k, it was still an used car, and everytime I get in it, it keep reminding me it's an old car that someone has driven it before me. Traded that in after one year of ownership, total loss= 29k.

Then I start leasing new for my business, and to consider I never keep a car for more than 3 years, leasing new is the way for me. I can drive the newest, better tech, fresh design, enjoy the new car smell all the time. Don't have to worry about depreciation, drove it for 3 yrs or less and move on to the next one. In short 2 and half years, I have 5 cars leased under me. And since I always get the new style, people know I drive brand new cars not bought a used model. I love cars, and life is too short for me to get stuck with one car for too long that I can't taste something different, So I will probably only lease till I retire, or ever!
Leasing is the most expensive way to operate a motor vehicle. If you don't care about that then it's a great way to always make sure you are driving a newer vehicle.
Old 10-18-15, 06:21 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

People that have plenty of money buy used cars all the time. Some people just don't care to have the latest and greatest. Read some statistic that less than 5% of people pay cash for a brand new car.

A slightly used car (1-2 yrs) beats a brand new car in every single way. Except one, It's brand new.

Last edited by Diesel350; 10-18-15 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-18-15, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I can, to some extent, even if it is not something that you or I would necessarily agree with. Some people simply do not have (or don't want to spend) the minimum 15K or so (in American dollars) needed to get into even an entry-level econobox in the American market (Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, Ford Fiesta, Chevy Spark, etc...). Others aren't particularly careful where they drive or park their cars (or, for whatever reason, have to park in hazardous areas), or let kids tear the interiors up, or tend to get a lot of scratches and dings when they drive. Others are just lazy and don't clean their cars regularly (they don't care how it looks), or are disabled and can't do much physical work taking care of their car. I myself, unfortunately, have some friends/colleagues that are like that....they basically drive a mobile city-dump. For them, it might not be feasible to have a nice new vehicle in mint condition......it probably wouldn't stay that way very long.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-18-15 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 06:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I can't speak for everybody else, but the reason I bought my 4Runner used was because I could not find a new one on a lot optioned the way I wanted, and came across a used one that was exactly what I was looking for. It came with the Toyota Certified Pre-Owned extended warranty, and only had 11k miles on it. So yes, it didn't have "zero" miles on it, but it was exactly what I wanted, and I saved a fair bit of coin over a brand new one.
Old 10-19-15, 08:12 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can buy used cars any day, but I cannot understand why people would want to get married with somebody who had been with many partners before ( and hence falls in the same category ie used)

/ducking for cover ... I know this is a very sensitive subject/
Old 10-19-15, 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Leasing is the most expensive way to operate a motor vehicle. If you don't care about that then it's a great way to always make sure you are driving a newer vehicle.
We've had this argument before. Leasing is a very expensive way to operate a motor vehicle, but its not THE most expensive way. Buying new and trading every 2-3 years would be the most expensive way.

The reason I lease is because:

1. I know I will want a new car after 3 years.
2. I can deduct for business.
3. Because of #1 and #2, leasing is considerably cheaper than buying, eating the worst of the depreciation, and then having to pay recaptured depreciation trading before its fully depreciated.

Even absent #2, if someone knows they're going to trade anyways after 2, 3 or 4 years leasing saves them money. I've done the math even at 5 years, leasing every 3 is no more expensive than buying new and keeping it for 5.

I can totally understand why people buy used, but its not for me.
Old 10-19-15, 09:03 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
We've had this argument before. Leasing is a very expensive way to operate a motor vehicle, but its not THE most expensive way. Buying new and trading every 2-3 years would be the most expensive way.

The reason I lease is because:

1. I know I will want a new car after 3 years.
2. I can deduct for business.
3. Because of #1 and #2, leasing is considerably cheaper than buying, eating the worst of the depreciation, and then having to pay recaptured depreciation trading before its fully depreciated.

Even absent #2, if someone knows they're going to trade anyways after 2, 3 or 4 years leasing saves them money. I've done the math even at 5 years, leasing every 3 is no more expensive than buying new and keeping it for 5.

I can totally understand why people buy used, but its not for me.
I don't know anyone that buys a brand new car every 3 yrs unless you're Steve Jobs.

Of course leasing will be less expensive than buying a brand new car every 3 yrs. But if someone is not buying a brand new car every 3 yrs, after 3 yrs the leasing cost will be more than the loan cost.

Quick Reply: Lexus: Buying Used vs. New Lexus