Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus: Buying Used vs. New Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 10:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I don't know anyone that buys a brand new car every 3 yrs unless you're Steve Jobs.
I know plenty of people who buy new cars every 3 years. I suppose it depends on where you live and who you know.

Of course leasing will be less expensive than buying a brand new car every 3 yrs. But if someone is not buying a brand new car every 3 yrs, after 3 yrs the leasing cost will be more than the loan cost.
Provided you keep the purchased new car longer than 5 years. I've done the math, 5 years is the magic number. If you don't plan on keeping it longer than that leasing is a break even or is cheaper.
Old 10-19-15, 11:46 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I know plenty of people who buy new cars every 3 years. I suppose it depends on where you live and who you know.
If only 4% of the population pays cash for a brand new car then the percentage of people that buy a brand new car repeatedly every 3 yrs is probably less than 1%. Buying a new every 2-3 yrs is reserved for the extremely wealthy.

Provided you keep the purchased new car longer than 5 years. I've done the math, 5 years is the magic number. If you don't plan on keeping it longer than that leasing is a break even or is cheaper.
Disagree. Several calculations I've done show you lose money starting after the 3rd year. Of course there are many different factors that play into which year you start losing money but the earliest possible outcome of losing money is year 3.
Old 10-19-15, 12:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If only 4% of the population pays cash for a brand new car then the percentage of people that buy a brand new car repeatedly every 3 yrs is probably less than 1%. Buying a new every 2-3 yrs is reserved for the extremely wealthy.
LOL, okay. Somehow all these 2-3 year old cars get on dealer lots used somehow. Apparently there are a lot of "extremely wealthy" people out there.

Disagree. Several calculations I've done show you lose money starting after the 3rd year. Of course there are many different factors that play into which year you start losing money but the earliest possible outcome of losing money is year 3.
My calculations clearly show that if you purchase the same model new vs leasing it new, at 3 years if you trade in the purchased car vs turning in the leased car, you save money by leasing. Please share your calculations, I've shared mine several times.
Old 10-19-15, 12:57 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
LOL, okay. Somehow all these 2-3 year old cars get on dealer lots used somehow. Apparently there are a lot of "extremely wealthy" people out there.
Yea they are called leases. Alot of those 2-3 yr old cars are also leases from businesses.

My calculations clearly show that if you purchase the same model new vs leasing it new, at 3 years if you trade in the purchased car vs turning in the leased car, you save money by leasing. Please share your calculations, I've shared mine several times.
You are probably getting favorable numbers because you're more savvy than the average consumer when it comes to leasing. Not everyone can get the same deals your getting.

It's been awhile since I leased, I'll see if I can find them.

Last edited by Diesel350; 10-19-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 01:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Several calculations I've done show you lose money starting after the 3rd year. Of course there are many different factors that play into which year you start losing money but the earliest possible outcome of losing money is year 3.
On most vehicles, the steep depreciation curve starts to flatten out after the 3rd year. But, on 4-year or longer leases, that's supposed to be taken into account when the manufacturer or the dealer figures lease-rates. I figured properly, that should lower the average monthly payments because the vehicle is depreciating less each year after the third year.

On a separate note, I see your screen name is Diesel350. I hope you weren't one of those who got stuck with that awful 5.7L (350 c.i.) V8 from GM from the late 1970s and early 1980s. It was one of the most poorly-engineered powerplants in modern automotive history....there were even class-action suits on it. (If you did get stuck with one, you have my sympathy)
Old 10-19-15, 01:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yea they are called leases. Alot of those 2-3 yr old cars are also leases from businesses.
Not all of them are leases, and not all of them are corporate leases. If you have a carfax account or look at the carafaxes displayed when the cars are listed for sale online you can see what was a lease and what was a corporate lease.

You are probably getting favorable numbers because you're more savvy than the average consumer when it comes to leasing. Not everyone can get the same deals your getting.

It's been awhile since I leased, I'll see if I can find them.
Just because I'm more competent than the lowest common denominator doesn't mean that you can make a blanket statement that X is cheaper than Y because people let themselves get screwed. People get screwed on the purchase too, it evens out.

If people don't take the time to educate themselves about this stuff before they do it, its their own fault.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On most vehicles, the steep depreciation curve starts to flatten out after the 3rd year. But, on 4-year or longer leases, that's supposed to be taken into account when the manufacturer or the dealer figures lease-rates. I figured properly, that should lower the average monthly payments because the vehicle is depreciating less each year after the third year.
You might be surprised to know that a lot of times 4 year leases are more expensive per month than 3 year leases. Depends on the car and the program.