Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2016 Lincoln MKX Is Not a Luxury Vehicle, No Matter How Hard It Tries

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-15, 11:53 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thick A pillars and terrible rear vision cost them my business. I like the seats and ride a lot. The ES 350 does not seem comfortabke enough for my back (did not fond the LS comfortabke for me either). The GS seats from memory are amazing. I will be testing one again next week. I really do not want to soend 50k (maybe '15 incentives might help soon) so i think i will be looking at a '13-14, sure wish i could find criss traffic but believe it was not offered. I hope this car worms for me. My Subaru '15 outback is comfirtable, has incredible visibility (i also have all of the safety tech options) but i am not a fan of the primitive wind nouse which plagues this model. If it was quieter i would kerp it, Subaru is useless on a fix.
Old 10-31-15, 12:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

What does all of this have to do with whether or not the MKX is a luxury vehicle?
Old 10-31-15, 01:13 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
What does all of this have to do with whether or not the MKX is a luxury vehicle?
Well, someone mentioned the Lacrosse and got my interest. Sorry the diversion offended you.
Old 10-31-15, 01:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The MKX is a nice car with lots of luxury materials. But I think it missed an opportunity with the styling and design of the exterior and interior. It looks too ordinary from the outside and a boring layout inside. I also think Lincoln made a mistake offering the smaller turbo V6.
Old 10-31-15, 01:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BB11
Well, someone mentioned the Lacrosse and got my interest. Sorry the diversion offended you.
Not offended, just curious.
Old 10-31-15, 01:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The MKX is a nice car with lots of luxury materials. But I think it missed an opportunity with the styling and design of the exterior and interior. It looks too ordinary from the outside and a boring layout inside.
Lincoln buyers typically like that sort of styling. If they want something radically different, they can go look at a new RX.

I also think Lincoln made a mistake offering the smaller turbo V6.
I don't care for that policy either, but most of the blame can go to the government and upcoming CAFE laws, which are forcing ever-smaller power plants with turbos. The smaller MKC doesn't offer a V6 at all....only two turbo 4's. And we're seeing some mid-size sedans now with turbo engines under 2 liters.

I don't want to get too far off-topic into politics, but now that you have a new left-wing government in Canada where you are, don't be surprised if you see more of the same there, too.
Old 10-31-15, 01:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The MKX is a nice car with lots of luxury materials. But I think it missed an opportunity with the styling and design of the exterior and interior. It looks too ordinary from the outside and a boring layout inside. I also think Lincoln made a mistake offering the smaller turbo V6.
I think it's interesting that Lincoln is going with more understated styling in the MKX (and MKC). It seems like it will probably appeal more to an older demographic than the new Lexus styling language. Personally I like it. I hope it does well for the division. They really need the MKX and MKC to succeed.
Old 10-31-15, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think it's interesting that Lincoln is going with more understated styling in the MKX (and MKC). It seems like it will probably appeal more to an older demographic than the new Lexus styling language.
Definitely. You can take that one to the bank.

Personally I like it.
So do I. (you've got good taste) If I was in the market for a small to medium side car-based SUV, I'd probably come home with an MKC, though I'm not particularly satisfied with the engine choices....it needs a small N/A V6 as an option, not a larger turbo 4. Lincoln avoided that issue, of course, on the MKX with its two V6s. As I told Jill earlier, though, smaller turbo engines seem to be the wave of the future.
Old 10-31-15, 04:46 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Since I haven't seen the new RX in person, the closest comparison I can make with the MKX is the current RX. The Lincoln has a nicer interior than the RX, it has a better slow speed ride, and it is quieter. If the RX is a luxury vehicle, then the MKX is more luxurious. The "little" 2.7 V-6 has vastly better acceleration than the RX350 or the Lincoln 3.7 V-6.

Styling is subjective, but to many the new RX is too extreme. The MKX is less radical but still modern. As to the $60K price, this is a max price and includes things like a panorama roof, 22 way seat package, etc. More normal equipment comes in at just over $50K which is about what a loaded RX350 costs. With the new RX price increase, the two should be in the same overall price range.

Steve
Old 10-31-15, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Since I haven't seen the new RX in person, the closest comparison I can make with the MKX is the current RX.
Here's the upcoming Cadillac XT5....which has not been released yet, but is on the way. It will probably be considered the MKX's closest competitor when it is released (it will replace the current Cadillac SRX).

Cadillac is also working on a compact-sized MKC competitor....but that won't be ready for at least another year or so.
Old 11-01-15, 07:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think it's interesting that Lincoln is going with more understated styling in the MKX (and MKC). It seems like it will probably appeal more to an older demographic than the new Lexus styling language. Personally I like it. I hope it does well for the division. They really need the MKX and MKC to succeed.

We shall see if the older demographic will buy-in to the new styling. The MKC is to small for the older folks, the NX and MKC vehicles, complete with their turbo 4s were made for the younger crowd. The MKX should do well, but the high price is a concern especially with the less than stand out styling.
Old 11-01-15, 09:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We shall see if the older demographic will buy-in to the new styling. The MKC is to small for the older folks, the NX and MKC vehicles, complete with their turbo 4s were made for the younger crowd. The MKX should do well, but the high price is a concern especially with the less than stand out styling.
The MKC got a below-average reliability rating in its first year from Consumer Reports, but that is not surprising, considering that it is a first-year domestic-badged vehicle and based on the Ford Escape platform, also below average in reliability.

Why do you keep harping on the MKX's price? I've mentioned at least half a dozen times, in several different threads, that base FWD versions can be had for as low as 40K. You seem to have that 60K figure stuck in your mind for some reason.
Old 11-01-15, 05:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why do you keep harping on the MKX's price? I've mentioned at least half a dozen times, in several different threads, that base FWD versions can be had for as low as 40K. You seem to have that 60K figure stuck in your mind for some reason.
Most people are not going to be buying the base price FWD version, I don't know why you keep bringing that model up. It's like the base 2WD V6 reg cab pick up trucks that nobody really wants. I mention the 60K price tag of the MKX because I would like to see if anyone is gonna buy it. I am curious to see of the Lincoln brand can command that price tag.
Old 11-01-15, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Most people are not going to be buying the base price FWD version, I don't know why you keep bringing that model up. It's like the base 2WD V6 reg cab pick up trucks that nobody really wants. I mention the 60K price tag of the MKX because I would like to see if anyone is gonna buy it. I am curious to see of the Lincoln brand can command that price tag.
A number of reasonably well-equipped AWD new MKXs list in the 50K range.....sometimes less. Problem was.....they were virtually all sold when I did my review.
Old 11-02-15, 10:48 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's what blind spot monitoring is for.
with my newly acquired soft top convertible, it has blind spot monitoring built in - my ears. I can hear the vehicles clearly when they are at the area where the C-pillar should be.

Quick Reply: The 2016 Lincoln MKX Is Not a Luxury Vehicle, No Matter How Hard It Tries