Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Despite Lost Sales, Infiniti Says Name Change Right Move

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 07:10 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

The BMW 4 series can be had with a hard top vert and AWD and with two power plant options 428, 435.

I agree that it is a niche but as I keep saying, there are folks in cold weather regions with lots of dough and want what they want. The car companies (like BMW) can extract some of that dough by giving the folks what they want.
Old 10-17-15, 07:34 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
AWD convertibles, while they do exist here and there (Audi, I believe, does a couple of them), are not something that the auto industry, as a whole tends, to put much time and effort into. I don't necessarily agree with it, but the general reasoning behind it, from most auto marketers, is that those who would want AWD do a lot of driving in bad weather and/or conditions that aren't really conducive to top-down driving.
And AWD adds significant weight to a car that is already overburdened with the mechanism of a folding hard top. Audi can get away with it because their convertibles are soft tops (but they are still heavy).

Back to the topic at hand. I've owned at least 9 Infinitis, starting with a '93 J30 and moving through a couple of FX35's, a G37 Coupe, an M45 and two M35s, and now we're on our second G37 Convertible. At one time, I thought they were the best Japanese alternative to BMW. I love the brand, but as someone else stated they just don't have a competitive product anymore. The new CUV and Coupe should help somewhat.

Re: the names, I no longer have any idea what stands for what, so what they have essentially done is alienate their loyal buyers by making the names of the models unrecognizable. I can certainly see how that would hurt sales. I don't see naming everything Q or QX as being comparable to German nomenclature. I guess they are trying to get to the 3 series (QX30), 5 series (Q50), 6 series (Q60), 7 series (Q70) recognition, but it just doesn't work. The guy had a good idea that was poorly executed.
Old 10-17-15, 07:39 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

My understanding of the industry decisions to go soft top tends (MB except for the SL and SLC, Audi) to be about how much trunk space you give up with a folding hard top.
Old 10-17-15, 08:26 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And you can contrast that with how Hyundai dealt with competing in the mid-lux segment. I instantly know what a Genesis coupe or sedan is. I don't even know where to start with QX nomenclature. I knew what a G or Nissan 300 was. They're in too deep now to change it from the looks of it.
Old 10-17-15, 08:29 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Let's face it folks, Infiniti is the only option for us Japanese only, RWD based luxury brand consumers.
I don't understand this statement. Aren't all Lexus cars (not SUV) RWD except for the ES and CT?
Old 10-17-15, 08:35 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Sorry ThaDRD.

I should have said option to Lexus.
Old 10-17-15, 09:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
from most auto marketers, is that those who would want AWD do a lot of driving in bad weather and/or conditions that aren't really conducive to top-down driving.
Just curious how you came up with this information? Did you read it somewhere or is it just your opinion?
Old 10-17-15, 09:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
And AWD adds significant weight to a car that is already overburdened with the mechanism of a folding hard top. Audi can get away with it because their convertibles are soft tops (but they are still heavy).

Back to the topic at hand. I've owned at least 9 Infinitis, starting with a '93 J30 and moving through a couple of FX35's, a G37 Coupe, an M45 and two M35s, and now we're on our second G37 Convertible. At one time, I thought they were the best Japanese alternative to BMW. I love the brand, but as someone else stated they just don't have a competitive product anymore. The new CUV and Coupe should help somewhat.

Re: the names, I no longer have any idea what stands for what, so what they have essentially done is alienate their loyal buyers by making the names of the models unrecognizable. I can certainly see how that would hurt sales. I don't see naming everything Q or QX as being comparable to German nomenclature. I guess they are trying to get to the 3 series (QX30), 5 series (Q50), 6 series (Q60), 7 series (Q70) recognition, but it just doesn't work. The guy had a good idea that was poorly executed.
I think you are right about the weight being the reason then followed by the incease in price.

I looked up the specs, the IS350c weights the same as the IS350AWD. Adding AWD to the IS350c would tip the scales to over 4000lbs.
Old 10-17-15, 09:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
And you can contrast that with how Hyundai dealt with competing in the mid-lux segment. I instantly know what a Genesis coupe or sedan is. I don't even know where to start with QX nomenclature. I knew what a G or Nissan 300 was. They're in too deep now to change it from the looks of it.
Hyundai is not the best example, especially Genesis... where Coupe and Sedan are nothing alike and priced very differently. They have their own problems with trying to sell luxury vehicles with low-market brand or rather not willing to invest into new premium brand.
Old 10-17-15, 09:41 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The declining sales are less about the naming conventions and more about the fact they just don't offer anything many people actually want to buy...
Old 10-17-15, 09:59 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

As Gyrase kindly pointed out, sales are increasing.

The M resign killed that car. They did a refresh during the Q70 period and it is selling better.

The Q50 does ok, not great. Rear seat passengers in the Q50 are a lot happier than those in an IS.

Again, once the little SUV and coupe get on the show room floors, their volume will go up. Simple story.
Old 10-18-15, 02:08 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That de guy really loves to rename models I guess. Out of all experience with whatever he was doing his stance is to mimic Audi branding. Sometime I wonder how these people get a job after a job. Caddy must have thought that he will bring in some internal info from VW Group so they settled for name change across line up, Then I wonder who runs Caddy and how they still have a job after bringing this de guy on a job after a poor job he did at Infiniti.

Lack of hyped product is Infiniti's Achilles right now but renaming was just the cream on top. We had discussion a while ago but its worth revisiting. If they wanted to rebrand why not rebrand with letter G, their most valuable letter, the best selling and the most recognizable model that has made Infiniti what it is today instead of Q that's been retired for over ten years now.

If Lexus is to consolidate their lettering across the board would they name all of their SUVs LX or RX? If this de guy was in charge it would probably be LX.
Old 10-18-15, 12:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

you can tell there is a TON of blood in the water when you can lease a G37 for the same as a loaded Honda Accord. There lease deals are insane!!
Old 10-18-15, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
you can tell there is a TON of blood in the water when you can lease a G37 for the same as a loaded Honda Accord. There lease deals are insane!!
Usually (but not always), a good lease deal means low projected depreciation of the vehicle involved. Accords of course, are known for their popularity and good resale value, so if you can get a similar deal in an G37 (BTW, the G37 is now known as the Q50), that would probably be a good deal in my book.
Old 10-18-15, 06:26 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

The G37 became the Q40 prior to phase out.

I believe the cheap leases were a mix of, hey this car costs us not too much to make so let's move en for cheap at the end of the run and the, we want as many folks as we can get associated with the brand. Giving them cheap leases on the Q40 will likely get then back in the store to pick up something else in the future.

Quick Reply: Despite Lost Sales, Infiniti Says Name Change Right Move