Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care' (UPDATE: 15 yrs prison time)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 02:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Breaking the law (crossing the double yellow) and attempted vehicular manslaughter are two different offenses.

The motorcyclist does not deserve to die for crossing the double yellow line.

Trust me, if I can legally attempt murder on car drivers, I would.
Old 10-19-15, 02:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The motorcyclist does not deserve to die for crossing the double yellow line.
Perhaps "deserves to die" is too strong. The motorcyclist should have his priviledge to operate a motorcycle on public roads rescinded for being too immature to operate it in a safe and lawful manner, putting everyone around him at risk. If he were to die being so stupid, and it took him out of the gene pool, and off of the roads before he was able to hurt or kill someone else, I certainly would not be sad...and believe that it would in general make the roads safer for everybody. Nature at work. Nothing to be sad about there.
Old 10-19-15, 02:11 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Perhaps "deserves to die" is too strong. The motorcyclist should have his priviledge to operate a motorcycle on public roads rescinded for being too immature to operate it in a safe and lawful manner, putting everyone around him at risk. If he were to die being so stupid, and it took him out of the gene pool, and off of the roads before he was able to hurt or kill someone else, I certainly would not be sad...and believe that it would in general make the roads safer for everybody. Nature at work. Nothing to be sad about there.
So, car drivers in similar situations would not have their driving privilage rescinded as well? Can I swerve my car into a illegally passing car because I felt like it?

The bias cannot be justified.
Old 10-19-15, 02:12 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

However...this is an example of behavior from motorcyclists and drivers for that matter I see a lot. A disregard for the rules of the road that puts everyone at risk. I do not feel bad for the operator of the motorcycle. I do feel bad for the passenger. Personally? I think its unfortunate the motorcyclist survived so that he could continue to put others in danger by operating his vehicle in such an unsafe way. Thats what I always say when I see someone do something stupid like this "hopefully he'll wipe out or hit a tree or something and kill himself before he hurts anybody else". And I mean it.
so did you read the article that said the car was going 20mph UNDER the legal speed limit? You act like they were going 150mph while passing the car.

Double yellow line or not, if some idiot is going 20mph under the posted speed limit, I'm going to pass them.
Old 10-19-15, 02:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
INTENTIONALLY? Are you a mind reader?
Sorry but anyone with decent eyesight can see intent to harm from the video. The car was slower than posted speed limit with no body in front of him. There was no reason to enter the other lane other than to hurt the rider. Don't have to be a mind reader for this. Any reasonable person could infer intent from this.
Old 10-19-15, 02:27 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think its pretty obvious it was intentional. I doubt he intended to hit him, but his goal was to stop him or scare him from passing in the oncoming lane.
u think it is intentional because you may have done that?

I wouldn't and I cannot think of someone doing this intentionally.
Old 10-19-15, 02:28 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sorry but anyone with decent eyesight can see intent to harm from the video. The car was slower than posted speed limit with no body in front of him. There was no reason to enter the other lane other than to hurt the rider. Don't have to be a mind reader for this. Any reasonable person could infer intent from this.
Dropped his cellphone? Saw a squirrel on the road?
Old 10-19-15, 02:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Dropped his cellphone? Saw a squirrel on the road?
A driver is legally responsible to be in control of their vehicle at all times.

Although it may not be proven in criminal court that the car driver didn't do anything wrong, any civil case against him (especially with his posts on social media) will cost him dearly.
Old 10-19-15, 03:55 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel bad for the passenger. She's having to pay a high price for both these idiots. Ticket for the motorcyclist & there will be a laundry list of felony charges against the car driver. He's toast.
Old 10-19-15, 04:52 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biker was clearly breaking the law, & probably deserves whatever fine Texas would typically issue for that infraction, but that in no way excuses the actions of that driver. That was at a minimum reckless driving, & with what looks like malicious intent, should probably see a higher charge. He's a danger to society, & should not be on the road anymore. I'm honestly impressed that the biker with the camera kept his cool as well as he did. I'm not sure I'd be so restrained. I hope both the biker & his passenger have a swift recovery.
Old 10-19-15, 06:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
so did you read the article that said the car was going 20mph UNDER the legal speed limit? You act like they were going 150mph while passing the car.

Double yellow line or not, if some idiot is going 20mph under the posted speed limit, I'm going to pass them.
Then you should no longer be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.

You can NEVER EVER cross a double yellow line to pass a moving vehicle. Its illegal, its reckless, and it puts your life and the lives of others on the road at risk. The Speed LIMIT it just that, the LIMIT. You can't drive FASTER. Its not a minimum speed. If someone is operating their vehicle under the speed limit and you have to sit behind them...sit behind them until such time as you can legally and safely pass.

Jesus. I can't believe we're even having this conversation.

u think it is intentional because you may have done that?
I think its intentional because its pretty darn coincidental that he swerved out of his lane into the oncoming lane at the exact instant the biker was there, pretty bad timing don't ya think?

Then there's his story. At first there was no reason, then he got "stung by a wasp"? And he "doesn't care"? Don't you think if there was a simple explanation, "I dropped my phone", "i avoided a squirrel" he would have just said that?

I see people drive in a retaliatory way every day. Ever heard of road rage? People get out of cars and shoot other people for cutting them off or turning without a signal in this world. You don't think somebody is capable of this?
Old 10-19-15, 07:17 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Then you should no longer be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.

You can NEVER EVER cross a double yellow line to pass a moving vehicle. Its illegal, its reckless, and it puts your life and the lives of others on the road at risk. The Speed LIMIT it just that, the LIMIT. You can't drive FASTER. Its not a minimum speed. If someone is operating their vehicle under the speed limit and you have to sit behind them...sit behind them until such time as you can legally and safely pass.

Jesus. I can't believe we're even having this conversation.
LOL "Jesus"....I'm about 6 million (probably the $$ amount I'd sure the driver of the car) times more concerned about the MF that nearly killed the 2 on the motorcycle...not because the motorcycle crossed a yellow line.
Old 10-19-15, 07:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I said that he certainly should be prosecuted for what he did, but that doesn't negate the fact that the motorcycle driver was completely out of line by operating his vehicle in the manner he was.

Neither one should continue to be allowed to operate a vehicle on public roads.
Old 10-19-15, 07:29 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I frequently see motorcyclists swerving in and out of traffic on highways at obscene speeds, and all I can think is "You are going head-to-head with 3000-4000 pound pieces of machinery. You are the most vulnerable out there and you are going to drive like there is no one else on the road?" If that adrenaline rush means that much to them at least they will die doing something they enjoy.

Last edited by dseag2; 10-19-15 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 07:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
So, car drivers in similar situations would not have their driving privilage rescinded as well? Can I swerve my car into a illegally passing car because I felt like it?

The bias cannot be justified.
Missed this. No bias here. Any person who operates any vehicle in that manner should have their driving privileges rescinded.

Quick Reply: Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care' (UPDATE: 15 yrs prison time)