Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care' (UPDATE: 15 yrs prison time)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 08:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
. The Speed LIMIT it just that, the LIMIT. You can't drive FASTER. Its not a minimum speed. If someone is operating their vehicle under the speed limit and you have to sit behind them...sit behind them until such time as you can legally and safely pass.
I don't know where you live but about 99% of SoCal drivers completely ignore the speed limit on the highway. The slowest lane cruises at 70mph and if you go anything slower than 75-80 on the left, people tailgate you. I've never been pulled over for doing 75-80 and I see a cop everyday driving. They simply don't pull over people at those speeds unless you are driving dangerously. If you don't believe me, ask other SoCal members here. They will corroborate what I say. Also, if he's 20 under, you can actually get a ticket in some states. In Cali, 20 under is simply unsafe and legally they may have he right, but it really creates an unsafe situation for the driver and everyone around them.
Old 10-19-15, 08:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

first off, both in the wrong.

biker and passenger didn't deserve that outcome, but bad things happen when you do stupid things.

car driver may or may not have intended to hit the biker (or just scare him) but either way, it was an obviously deliberate, stupid, and dangerous move.

again they're both in the wrong and bad things have happened and will happen to all involved.

just say no to road rage.
Old 10-19-15, 09:10 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

both need to be suspend from driving. That's what happen when two idiot driver meet. The biker should have stay much more to the left during the pass especially hes not on a passing zone.

the biker are clearly speeding.....
Old 10-19-15, 09:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't know where you live but about 99% of SoCal drivers completely ignore the speed limit on the highway. The slowest lane cruises at 70mph and if you go anything slower than 75-80 on the left, people tailgate you. I've never been pulled over for doing 75-80 and I see a cop everyday driving. They simply don't pull over people at those speeds unless you are driving dangerously. If you don't believe me, ask other SoCal members here. They will corroborate what I say. Also, if he's 20 under, you can actually get a ticket in some states. In Cali, 20 under is simply unsafe and legally they may have he right, but it really creates an unsafe situation for the driver and everyone around them.
I'm not making an argument about speeding. My point is that someone is not necessarily in the wrong because they are going "20 MPH under the speed limit". This was a double yellow lined road, there was no safety issue, and even if there were someone isn't allowed to pass them on a double yellow line.
Old 10-20-15, 02:53 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guy has been arrested.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/10/19/d...ki3vo.facebook
Old 10-20-15, 05:36 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL

HOOD COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM ) – William Crum, 68, was arrested late Monday afternoon and charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with a crash on Tin Top Highway, according to District Attorney Rob Christian.
Old 10-20-15, 05:43 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
HOOD COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM ) – William Crum, 68, was arrested late Monday afternoon and charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with a crash on Tin Top Highway, according to District Attorney Rob Christian.
Unless the old crum confesses and pleads guilty, good luck on proving intention.
Old 10-20-15, 07:22 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Unless the old crum confesses and pleads guilty, good luck on proving intention.
video tape doesn't lie.
Old 10-20-15, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Yeah, no t sure how a judge or a jury would find that this wasn't his intention.
Old 10-20-15, 07:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah, no t sure how a judge or a jury would find that this wasn't his intention.

This guy, from one stupid decision, will be dealing with the criminal and civil cases and pay thousands of dollars in lawyer fees for the next decade.
Old 10-20-15, 07:51 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
This guy, from one stupid decision, will be dealing with the criminal and civil cases and pay thousands of dollars in lawyer fees for the next decade.
I agree and in Cali, civil is way easier to win. Don't know where he lives but chances aren't good for him. If he has any net worth, it's gone now.
Old 10-20-15, 07:58 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

He's 68, probably won't even last a decade
Old 10-20-15, 08:14 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

truth to be told, a driver cannot expect somebody to be passing his/her vehicle on a no passing zone. As long as the incoming lane was clear, his actions are not at fault.
If you purposely swerve at the motorcyclist, it doesn't matter what you could "reasonably expect." If he really and truly was startled by a bee, then maybe he's not at fault because the motorcycle shouldn't have been there. If it were my, I'd be beside myself if I accidently did that trying to swat a bee in the car--this guy repeatedly said "I don't care", so you know damn well he did it on purpose.
Old 10-20-15, 08:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

u think it is intentional because you may have done that?

I wouldn't and I cannot think of someone doing this intentionally.
There are stories on the news every single day with crimes committed that are inexplicable--there are some messed up people out there. This car driver is one of them, clearly. It's honorable that you give people the benefit of the doubt, but this guy is not worthy of it.

Dropped his cellphone? Saw a squirrel on the road?
And then jumps out of the car and says "I don't care?" C'mon man. That is something I can't imagine.
Old 10-20-15, 11:01 AM
EyeSF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he hopes it's thousands of dollars.
I predict tens of thousands if not more.
the biker can only hope the guy is liquid and not destitute / declares bankruptcy.

Quick Reply: Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care' (UPDATE: 15 yrs prison time)