Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The worst car of the 21st century . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 07:39 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you would trust your life to the Smart's roll-cage, fine......I'll respect your opinion. But, as I see it, one picture is worth a thousand words........

That white vehicle looks like a truck, not an E-Class. Even a S-Class is unlikely to survive a crash with a heavy, body-on-frame truck.
Old 10-31-15, 08:29 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I must disagree. The fortwo's Tridion safety cell (the silver-coloured roll cage that is visible on all smart vehicles) is extremely tough and can withstand a lot of abuse.

In fact, even in a crash against a larger car (like the MB E-Class), your injuries are more likely to be due to bouncing around inside that tough ball (secondary collisions) rather than being crushed from the primary collision.
Actually went looking for a video to disprove your claim but came away impressed by this:

But everything else mmarshall said about the Smart is true. Pigeon headed transmission makes it just awful to drive, gets blown around on the road, handling is questionable, no room, noisy, gets no better gas mileage than a Corolla and uses premium fuel, costs as much as a Corolla. Really if they had offered a manual gearbox and priced it at $10,000 it would've been a compelling buy.
Old 10-31-15, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Actually went looking for a video to disprove your claim but came away impressed by this
I agree with the video, but most crashes don't happen that way. In real-world crashes with other vehicles, I certainly wouldn't want to be in a Smart.

But everything else mmarshall said about the Smart is true. Pigeon headed transmission makes it just awful to drive, gets blown around on the road, handling is questionable, no room, noisy, gets no better gas mileage than a Corolla and uses premium fuel, costs as much as a Corolla. Really if they had offered a manual gearbox and priced it at $10,000 it would've been a compelling buy.
It should be noted that, for those who like the Smart's overall design (except for the clip-on plastic body panels) a significantly better alternative can be found in the Scion iQ, which, even with a somewhat quirky CVT transmission, is noticeably better to drive. Unfortunately, the iQ has been discontinued in the American market, so one is limited to previously-owned models.

Old 10-31-15, 09:24 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

^ One of the funniest top gear moments ever involved that car.

"he doesn't know to get in or if he should mate with it"
Old 10-31-15, 09:34 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Actually went looking for a video to disprove your claim but came away impressed by this:
Even if the occupant space stays somewhat intact there is almost no crush space so the deceleration will be dramatic and will scramble your brains for good.
Old 10-31-15, 12:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Even if the occupant space stays somewhat intact there is almost no crush space so the deceleration will be dramatic and will scramble your brains for good.
Oh I know the shock would be pretty brutal and that is what would kill you in a higher speed crash, not the dashboard/steering wheel coming through your forehead. Still for something that is basically the size of a golf cart, its pretty impressive how well it held together in that video. A tiny car like that isn't going to be safe if you get creamed by a pickup truck, but at least Benz has made a valid effort to make it safe. Its too bad that is probably the reason it costs as much as a Corolla and why the drivetrain in it sucks.
Old 10-31-15, 05:30 PM
danielrds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am new to the forum, it is a great pleasure to meet you. Good,
you are saying this because they know the cars in Brazil ..

-Fiat Palio
-Fiat Siena
-Ford Fiesta
-Fiat Uno
,,,the list goes on LOL
Old 10-31-15, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by danielrds
Hello, I am new to the forum, it is a great pleasure to meet you. Good,
you are saying this because they know the cars in Brazil ..

-Fiat Palio
-Fiat Siena
-Ford Fiesta
-Fiat Uno
,,,the list goes on LOL
Welcome to CL.

Fiat's traditional problem (though it is probably not as bad today as decades ago) is build-quality and reliability...but, other than that, whether they can be considered the worst new cars on the road is a debatable issue. They DO, however, still rank as the worst-nameplate in Consumer Reports (which is for U.S. market vehicles) for overall reliability, with the 500L in the lowest spot.

BTW, speaking of Brazil, they run a lot of alcohol-fueled cars down there, something that, except for E85 stations in the American Midwest, is something badly lagging here.
Old 11-01-15, 04:22 AM
danielrds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Fiat's traditional problem (though it is probably not as bad today as decades ago) is build-quality and reliability...but, other than that, whether they can be considered the worst new cars on the road is a debatable issue. They DO, however, still rank as the worst-nameplate in Consumer Reports (which is for U.S. market vehicles) for overall reliability, with the 500L in the lowest spot.

BTW, speaking of Brazil, they run a lot of alcohol-fueled cars down there, something that, except for E85 stations in the American Midwest, is something badly lagging here.
Wow, Thanks!! thank so much bro

So, In Brazil, I had an "IDEA ADVENTURE 1.8 16V E-TORQ". It's a good car, which does not sell here in the USA (here has much better cars), but generally the fiat is not a good brand, taking into account all cars.

Thank you for mmarshal reception ..

God Bless
Old 11-01-15, 05:43 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
That white vehicle looks like a truck, not an E-Class. Even a S-Class is unlikely to survive a crash with a heavy, body-on-frame truck.
I am surprised to see a wheel in the rear door. Is that really a smart car?
Old 11-01-15, 05:46 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Worst cars I was unfortunate to drive:

Pontiac Sunfire
Chevy Beretta
Old 11-01-15, 07:03 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

SmartCar Obliterated In Crash - YouTube

I agree with the video, but most crashes don't happen that way. In real-world crashes with other vehicles, I certainly wouldn't want to be in a Smart.

Most real-life car crashes may not be similar to this video but it is extremely difficult to be able put a real-life car crash on video, so you will have to live with controlled situations.

But in terms of controlled crashes, you cannot have much worse than this -- speeding car meets immovable object and the car comes out with only a slight buckle of the Tridion roll cage and the doors can still open.

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Oh I know the shock would be pretty brutal and that is what would kill you in a higher speed crash, not the dashboard/steering wheel coming through your forehead. Still for something that is basically the size of a golf cart, its pretty impressive how well it held together in that video. A tiny car like that isn't going to be safe if you get creamed by a pickup truck, but at least Benz has made a valid effort to make it safe. Its too bad that is probably the reason it costs as much as a Corolla and why the drivetrain in it sucks.

That's right. If you are sitting in the smart fortwo when it crashes, you may not be killed by being crushed by the dashboard or steering wheel, but you may be killed as you become a bouncing ball inside the larger bouncing ball that the fortwo has become. You better be belted in and hope that at the moment of impact, the seat belts cinch tightly and remain so, keeping you tight to the seat (and the seat does not move in its tracks or worse, become detached from its tracks) until the car stops bouncing around.

Originally Posted by chikoo
I am surprised to see a wheel in the rear door. Is that really a smart car?

You are right! That is NOT a smart fortwo. From that rear-mounted spare tire, I think that it is probably a small (subcompact) crossover utility vehicle that is sold in South America or Asia but not in North America. If that particular vehicle is not sold in North America or Europe, it was probably not designed for the stringent crash standards of North America or Europe.