Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus makes the ugliest cars on the road (says jalopnik)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 12:06 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

see i knew you'd say something good... yeah i know the s class comparison isn't totally fair but hopefully the next generation LS will fill some gaps. i have high hopes.
Old 10-29-15, 02:36 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I guess everyone just sits in the seat and doesn't give a rip how goofy their car looks.
Old 10-29-15, 09:46 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Serious question here:

Who here thinks this is not ugly?

Old 10-29-15, 09:54 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Serious question here:

WHY DID YOU POST THIS CAR'S PIC?!?

Old 10-29-15, 09:57 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

^ ^ ^ yeah seriously the murano convertible? certain things are just better left unmentioned lol
Old 10-29-15, 10:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
see i knew you'd say something good... yeah i know the s class comparison isn't totally fair but hopefully the next generation LS will fill some gaps. i have high hopes.
There isn't a valid argument that the S Class is not a superior car to the LS460. The LS is a lot cheaper.

Originally Posted by dicer
I guess everyone just sits in the seat and doesn't give a rip how goofy their car looks.
I've seen your posts, its clear that you don't like new cars styling in general. Thats fine for you, but styling is subjective. For the bulk, I like the new styling direction Lexus is taking, and I think cars today have a lot more style than they used to overall.

I think some of the deep creases and all are a bit much, such as you see on the NX and RX specifically, and the grills are getting to be a little overdone, but people are buying them clearly. At least Lexus has cars that stand out, they were always handsome, but generic and derivative, lacking any unique character or style.
Old 10-29-15, 12:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

If you're generating a lot of hate, either you're doing something right or something wrong. Either way, Lexus is doing better than ever. Hate away naysayers, hate away
Old 10-29-15, 12:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Serious question here:

Granted, it won't win any beauty contests........but I've seen lots worse.
Old 10-29-15, 01:18 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There have been Lexus naysayers since the beginning. There's always a different reason.
Too boring
Too soft
Too isolated from the road
Too slow
Too darn good for the rest to compete....is what it comes down to. If they aren't picking at you....you aren't worth crap. Lexus is the best car brand on the planet imo. Don't care what others think.

On the other hand, I would like to see the grills toned down a little. But they are bold. They are distinctive. We used to have to wait until some cars were close up before knowing for sure it was a Lexus. Now we know it from a mile away. I love that!

PS...I think the new Nissans are the ugliest. That Maxima should be killed.
Old 10-29-15, 11:07 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

For free just to help everyones eye's I volunteer to help design a 2017 Lexus, please someone contact the people at Lexus and let them know. I will get rid of that goofed up front end, and the blister roof.
And it will look similar to this as the sport model.
Old 10-29-15, 11:33 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That car recently came into the service bay at the local MB dealership. Loud was the word I'd use to describe it. Of course the cave like vehicle drop off area contributed to it. beautiful car.
Old 10-29-15, 11:38 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Yeah nice looking, no butt ugliness there. No little rounded with no substance Pimple roof like all cars have now. Who ever designed this did a great job. There are a few areas that could use some improvement though. And best of all no stupid antenna.

Last edited by dicer; 10-29-15 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-01-15, 07:04 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE
I think some of the deep creases and all are a bit much, such as you see on the NX and RX specifically, and the grills are getting to be a little overdone, but people are buying them clearly. At least Lexus has cars that stand out, they were always handsome, but generic and derivative, lacking any unique character or style.[/QUOTE]

I concur. IMHO Lexus went from being stoic to being overdone.
Old 11-01-15, 09:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
[QUOTE
I think some of the deep creases and all are a bit much, such as you see on the NX and RX specifically, and the grills are getting to be a little overdone, but people are buying them clearly. At least Lexus has cars that stand out, they were always handsome, but generic and derivative, lacking any unique character or style.

I concur. IMHO Lexus went from being stoic to being overdone.
The question is, though..........are today's buyers scooping up new Lexus products for their reliability or for the styling? Some people can tolerate awkward or controversial styling if a vehicle is reliable under the skin and doesn't send them constantly running to the repair or service shop.
Old 11-01-15, 12:15 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The question is, though..........are today's buyers scooping up new Lexus products for their reliability or for the styling? Some people can tolerate awkward or controversial styling if a vehicle is reliable under the skin and doesn't send them constantly running to the repair or service shop.
I believe the article states that the F Sport buyers are on average 12 years younger which would indicate that style is driving the sales vs reliability. I know the older demo might not like the styling but I know a lot of new Lexus owners my age and they certainly never looked at Lexus before due to it being boring. Lexus is clearly trying to avoid what happened to Cadillac. I think it's working.

Quick Reply: Lexus makes the ugliest cars on the road (says jalopnik)