Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai separating Genesis as stand alone luxury brand

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 11:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i really don't fault them for being cautious, time has changed and there are so many players now, a wrong move and they are doomed
Old 11-05-15, 07:05 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
^ The original intent was to spinoff a new brand but the economy was tanking and they chose to ride it out under the same brand and wait for the opportune moment.
And now may actually be the opportune moment. With the growing disparity in household income (the "haves" and the "have nots") there is a great opportunity to market to wealthy buyers that have most of the discretionary income. Less so on the lower end of the spectrum where Hyundai sits. Just look at how Wal-Mart is doing these days in comparison to their performance during the financial downturn.
Old 11-05-15, 08:33 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are a buyer who thinks along the lines of, "I'm above the rabble". This car won't appeal to you. You want the Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Audi. If you want performance and already drive an Asian brand, then there's no worry about badge snob posturing. Don't forget that it's not about old school loyalties anymore.
Old 11-06-15, 01:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure if it was reported yet

Heard today on Autoblog, Genesis will have six models, all Hyundai dealers will carry them, the naming is like Infiniti, it will have Genesis G70, G80, G90. Current Genesis and Eqqus will keep their names until the end of the production run.
Old 11-06-15, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
If you are a buyer who thinks along the lines of, "I'm above the rabble". This car won't appeal to you.
That's what some people think.........until they actually sample a new Genesis.

Hyundai's former slogan: "Driving is Believing", like BMW's 'Ultimate Driving Machine", did not just come out of nowhere....both of them were earned.
Old 11-06-15, 02:58 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, they all three are derived from the same platform, though not all are quite the same size. My point was, though (and this is just my opinion, not necessarily fact), the K900 is actually a nicer-driving car than the Equus, with a noticeably smother ride.
The K900 is pretty much the same size as platform mate Equus. Generally 1-2" in any measurement and exact same wheelbase.

The K900 is actually often criticized for its single tuned spring suspension that is extremely floaty. We had one for nearly a year and steering was vague and suspension had so much wallowing after any sort of road event, that people would often get sick. The Equus has a better sorted Air Suspension with the continuous damping control.

I'm excited for the Genesis line with its focus on RWD derived platforms. I wonder if they'll focus more on the concierge/valet type service that was initially part of the Equus ownership experience in lieu of separate dealerships.
Old 11-06-15, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
The K900 is pretty much the same size as platform mate Equus. Generally 1-2" in any measurement and exact same wheelbase.

The K900 is actually often criticized for its single tuned spring suspension that is extremely floaty. We had one for nearly a year and steering was vague and suspension had so much wallowing after any sort of road event, that people would often get sick. The Equus has a better sorted Air Suspension with the continuous damping control.
Yes, I know that some people consider that type of suspension "floaty", "wallowy" or "mushy". I happen to find soft underpinnings comfortable over bumps, and if the car wallows as a result.....well, then, I just don't try and drive it like a sports car. Besides, there are not many sedans left like that nowadays...if it's a firm suspension and tires you want, you can find them almost anywhere. The K900 and Equus are for those few comfort-lovers who want something different (again, by today's standards).

Now that's not to say that the softer, the better...not always the case. Sometimes a car can be so soft that is almost unsafe. I can remember sampling huge Thunderbirds and Lincoln Mark-coupes from the 1970s that not only (literally) plowed straight ahead with any kind of significant steering input but rocked and bobbed up and down like a boat over undulations. Yes, that was overdoing it a little in the softness department...as was also the case with the former Kia Amanti, which basically went around corners on its door handles LOL.
Old 11-06-15, 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,978 Posts

Theres a difference between a car riding well and a car wallowing. The LS is a great example of a car that rides really well, but never wallows. A willowy car as ppm is describing doesn't do so as a result of being driven like a sports car. It can happen on a straight highway.
Old 11-06-15, 07:04 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are a buyer who thinks along the lines of, "I'm above the rabble". This car won't appeal to you. You want the Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Audi. If you want performance and already drive an Asian brand, then there's no worry about badge snob posturing. Don't forget that it's not about old school loyalties anymore.
Agreed that the Blue Bloods are going to continue to buy Mercedes, but there is a lot of "new money" out there today with no brand loyalty and the right car with service to back it up will appeal to that group. They are less about conspicuous consumption and more about value for the money.
Old 11-06-15, 07:47 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Hyundai has lured away German designers to set the direction. They've roared up the luxury premium ladder while still offering Elantra's and Santa Fe's. All in such a short period of time.

They had to separate the Genesis sedan in particular from the Elantras, Sonatas and Santa Fe's. This won't hurt them at all. They've been scooping up a lot of sales from buyers who like to look around.
Old 11-07-15, 01:13 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not sure if it was reported yet

Heard today on Autoblog, Genesis will have six models, all Hyundai dealers will carry them, the naming is like Infiniti, it will have Genesis G70, G80, G90. Current Genesis and Eqqus will keep their names until the end of the production run.
Six models? Wow.

Take away the Genesis and the Equus, and Hyundai only has 8 models (9 if the Santa Fe is further broken down with the Sport version). Where are the other 4 coming from???
Old 11-07-15, 01:21 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus, Infiniti and Acura were all in this position once. "Who is going to pay all that money for a Toyota?" was a critique when Lexus debuted. But Lexus had the Toyota reputation, it was a solid product, it was priced below German counterparts, it was summarily dismissed as a legitimate competitor--and look where Lexus is now. The Japanese luxury brands went after people that wanted nicer cars than their Accords and Camrys, but maybe weren't quite going to make the jump to MB or BMW.

Frankly, I don't see this as any different. The Genesis is a really nice car, and someone who wants something nicer than a top of the line family sedan, but maybe not a Lexus LS or even a GS, may be very interested. Hyundai can't expect to run with the big boys right out of the gate--that was the mistake that VW made with the Pheaton--a great car that maybe could compete, but was a flop because who is going to pay an A8 price for a VW?

And...isn't this what Hyundai has done within its current market place? 10-12 years ago, they were not serious competition to Honda and Toyota. That's not the case anymore.
Old 11-07-15, 04:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670

And...isn't this what Hyundai has done within its current market place? 10-12 years ago, they were not serious competition to Honda and Toyota. That's not the case anymore.

I'd say a little longer then that....15-20 years ago they were not serious competition, and were not making reliable cars. That basically changed to change around 2000 or so. 10-12 years ago, they were becoming serious competition. Indeed, IMO, the best Sonata ever done was the 5th generation model, which debuted in the U.S. in 2005....I thought the ones after that were a disappointment.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-15 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-07-15, 07:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Even as a HUGE Lexus fan boy, I am rooting for Hyundai. They have come so far i such a short period of time .
Old 11-07-15, 07:17 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's what some people think.........until they actually sample a new Genesis.

Hyundai's former slogan: "Driving is Believing", like BMW's 'Ultimate Driving Machine", did not just come out of nowhere....both of them were earned.
I have driven the Hyundai Genesis over a long trip (1 week) and loved the way it was composed. But the seat leather/foam was weird because it took forever to cool down once it got heated when parked in the sun. Very uncomfortable.

Quick Reply: Hyundai separating Genesis as stand alone luxury brand