Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-15 | 05:41 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, over 5 people I know who purchased/leased new E class didn't know anything about cars, they simply went and bought a premium luxury sedan that's Mercedes, while can't/don't want to buy the S, and thinking the C is too small. And they are all E350s with minimium options.
Old 12-25-15 | 06:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Even the old outdated E Class outsells everything else, so it's hard to say that MB doesn't know what they're doing.

This E Class will go 5k units a month easy.
Because, much like the Lexus ES, its a car for people that hate cars. Camry for the people with a bit more money if you will.
Old 12-25-15 | 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
You don't? I think it's one of the smartest ideas the industry has had in a long time. Unless you have a MT, there's no point to having the gear shifter sitting there in the center console taking up space. You never touch it in an AT, particularly if you have paddle shifters anyway.
Welcome back .....haven't seen you post here for quite some time.

Actually, in my post, I said that are some things about it I agreed with, and some I don't.

On the paddle-shifter issue, sometimes, and sometimes not. On some vehicles, in order to use them, you have to first put the shift-lever in the manual gate. Other vehicles have a system where the paddies override the lever, even if the lever is in the full-auto mode.
Old 12-25-15 | 07:17 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome back .....haven't seen you post here for quite some time.

Actually, in my post, I said that are some things about it I agreed with, and some I don't.

On the paddle-shifter issue, sometimes, and sometimes not. On some vehicles, in order to use them, you have to first put the shift-lever in the manual gate. Other vehicles have a system where the paddies override the lever, even if the lever is in the full-auto mode.
Thanks. It's definitely been some time. Looks like many of the old characters are still around. You going to the DC Auto Show?

I got a loaded post-facelift E350 wagon a year and a half ago. It was surprisingly more engaging to drive than the F10 I compared it against (although it's possible I was just fooled by the dynamic seat enabled in the MB while taking a corner). I thought I wouldn't like the shifter moved to the steering wheel column, but it just makes too much sense when designed properly (as MB has done).

That said, I'm thinking my next wagon will be a 328xd (because I want diesel) or a SportWagen Alltrack (because I want MT). All AT cars are just extremely boring to me. Not sure which factor will win out...
Old 12-25-15 | 07:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,986 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Because, much like the Lexus ES, its a car for people that hate cars. Camry for the people with a bit more money if you will.
The objective is to sell cars though...hard to make an argument that MB has the wrong recipie for them.
Old 12-25-15 | 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Thanks. It's definitely been some time. Looks like many of the old characters are still around.
Yep, old car buffs never die.

You going to the DC Auto Show?
Wouldn't miss it. Here's the info:

http://www.washingtonautoshow.com

I got a loaded post-facelift E350 wagon a year and a half ago.
Congratulations . Nice car. You've got a classic...M-B wagons don't sell that well in the U.S..

All AT cars are just extremely boring to me.
Even in D.C. or L.A. area traffic? I can't imagine someone constantly pumping the clutch and rowing the lever in conditions like that.........that's self-inflicted punishment.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-15 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-26-15 | 02:10 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't wait to ride in one of these taxis
Old 12-26-15 | 07:44 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, old car buffs never die.

Wouldn't miss it. Here's the info:

http://www.washingtonautoshow.com

Congratulations . Nice car. You've got a classic...M-B wagons don't sell that well in the U.S..

Even in D.C. or L.A. area traffic? I can't imagine someone constantly pumping the clutch and rowing the lever in conditions like that.........that's self-inflicted punishment.
Cool. Maybe I'll see you there!

Yes, even in traffic. Traffic is so boring that I want to gouge my eyes out anyway, even though I listen to books on "tape" (really mp3 now). It helps to have something to do beyond just gas, brake, sigh, gas, brake, sigh...
Old 12-26-15 | 08:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I was never even aware I was shifting even in heavy traffic .....
Old 12-26-15 | 12:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I was never even aware I was shifting even in heavy traffic .....
maybe the traffic's not that bad where you are. when i was in atlanta with my stick acura legend, it only took a few months or sore left leg from stop and go (most stop) to say enough.
Old 12-26-15 | 12:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe the traffic's not that bad where you are. when i was in atlanta with my stick acura legend, it only took a few months or sore left leg from stop and go (most stop) to say enough.
Many taxi and bus drivers in Asia and Europe are still driving stick shift cars/buses for long hours everyday in heavy traffic, so it is clear you can get used to shifting without being aware of it, I am sure they drive much longer hours than you and me everyday ...
Old 12-26-15 | 12:43 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Many taxi and bus drivers in Asia and Europe are still driving stick shift cars/buses for long hours everyday in heavy traffic, so it is clear you can get used to shifting without being aware of it, I am sure they drive much longer hours than you and me everyday ...
It's all relative. I personally dislike stick shift in traffic...it's not painful but it is annoying to me.
Old 12-26-15 | 03:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,661 Posts

people CAN get used to anything... like stinky and dangerous tuk tuk taxis and other vehicles, but i'll pass on driving one of those too

Old 12-26-15 | 06:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
people CAN get used to anything... like stinky and dangerous tuk tuk taxis and other vehicles, but i'll pass on driving one of those too

But a stick shift car is nothing like those, they can be very luxurious and quite comfortable, like the newer generations 911's ......, even manual cayman's can be nice dd's, so are corvettes ...

Last edited by Gojirra99; 12-26-15 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-26-15 | 06:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I've been shifting my own gears the past 4 years in both of my cars(Lexus SC300 and a beat up Toyota truck), and I'm over it. Drove around in my buddy's automatic this past weekend(2000 Avalon), forgot how nice it is to just have a brainless car to drive around in heavy traffic, ie that car is completely effortless, rides nice, great seats, silent, automatic trans, has enough power(more would be nice though), great visibility, etc Mainly I think its because I live in town and traffic sucks, if I lived out in the middle of nowhere with great driving roads I'd probably fall in love all over again with my SC300

That being said, I do love driving a manual sports car like a Miata, Corvette, Viper, the old english iron like Austin Healeys, Lotus, MG, etc. The old muscle cars with a stick are fun too, but to be honest I'd rather have them with an automatic because I would be tearing up the drag strip, and its so much easier to be consistent in the quarter mile with an automatic.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class