Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 06:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The objective is to sell cars though...hard to make an argument that MB has the wrong recipie for them.
Same with ES350 and the Camry... but I'd rather have anthrax than be stuck driving any of these depressing examples of miserable transportation.
Old 12-26-15, 07:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

No doubt, but its hard to argue that they have designed commercially successful cars.
Old 12-26-15, 07:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Same with ES350 and the Camry... but I'd rather have anthrax than be stuck driving any of these depressing examples of miserable transportation.
so you'd rather have anthrax than drive a 2017 Mercedes E class... you crazy.
Old 12-26-15, 07:26 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Och, I thought you had an ES. Am I remembering incorrectly?
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so you'd rather have anthrax than drive a 2017 Mercedes E class... you crazy.
Well, figuratively speaking of course. But I think I might have died from some sort of depressive disorder if I was forced to drive an E class.
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Personally I've been shifting my own gears the past 4 years in both of my cars(Lexus SC300 and a beat up Toyota truck), and I'm over it. Drove around in my buddy's automatic this past weekend(2000 Avalon), forgot how nice it is to just have a brainless car to drive around in heavy traffic, ie that car is completely effortless, rides nice, great seats, silent, automatic trans, has enough power(more would be nice though), great visibility, etc Mainly I think its because I live in town and traffic sucks, if I lived out in the middle of nowhere with great driving roads I'd probably fall in love all over again with my SC300

That being said, I do love driving a manual sports car like a Miata, Corvette, Viper, the old english iron like Austin Healeys, Lotus, MG, etc. The old muscle cars with a stick are fun too, but to be honest I'd rather have them with an automatic because I would be tearing up the drag strip, and its so much easier to be consistent in the quarter mile with an automatic.
I hear you. I owned an '06 Mazda MX-5 for about a year. It was a blast to drive... a fun, engaging car for local errands, but when I had to drive it in local Dallas traffic that was the end of the fun for me. DSG is the next best thing.
Old 12-26-15, 07:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Och, I thought you had an ES. Am I remembering incorrectly?
Gosh no! I had 2 GSes and LS.
Old 12-26-15, 07:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The ES isn't a bad car, back in the day there wasn't a whole lot else that provided that space and luxury at that price point. Now at that price level I'd buy a Hyundai Genesis.
Old 12-26-15, 09:27 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, figuratively speaking of course. But I think I might have died from some sort of depressive disorder if I was forced to drive an E class.
For many, the E class is just an obvious choice. For people who had a C class and want more room, maybe because of an expanding family, its natural to move to an E class. The price delta between C and E is only about 20K, but from an E to an S, its more like 40K. Just because the E outsells the competition doesn't mean that it is an appliance.
Old 12-26-15, 10:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
For many, the E class is just an obvious choice. For people who had a C class and want more room, maybe because of an expanding family, its natural to move to an E class. The price delta between C and E is only about 20K, but from an E to an S, its more like 40K. Just because the E outsells the competition doesn't mean that it is an appliance.
Lease rates on C and E are actually pretty comparable, while the S is in a whole different league. Basically C stands for cheap and E stands for economy.

While I don't particularly like the C, I absolute despite the E class. Its for people that hate driving.
Old 12-27-15, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Lease rates on C and E are actually pretty comparable, while the S is in a whole different league. Basically C stands for cheap and E stands for economy.

While I don't particularly like the C, I absolute despite the E class. Its for people that hate driving.
LOL, you haven't even seen a new E Class. While I am not a fan of the E Class either, "for people who hate driving"? Really? What is it about a 5 Series or a GS or an A6 that is "for people who don't hate driving"? An LS isn't "for people who hate driving"?

This car is for people who hate driving?

Have you driven a new C Class? With the right options and packages they're great cars, very high quality, comfortable, fun to drive. Buddy of mine just bought a C400 AMG and its really nice.

I'm sure the all new 2017 E Class will be great.
Old 12-27-15, 09:06 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF

The E-Class is the obvious choice because it has been around forever; it can trace its lineage back 60+ years, to when the Mercedes-Benz' entry-level Executive sedan (what would become the E-Class) and its Luxury sedan (what would become the S-Class) shared a common body and differed mainly in engine (4-cylinder for the Executive and 6-cylinder for the Luxury). The C-Class can only trace its lineage back 20 years.

The E-Class has become synonymous with the Executive sedan; when executive sedans come to mind, the E-Class is the most obvious choice. Comparing the E-Class to the Camry -- to say that the E is the Camry of luxury sedans -- is the wrong comparison; it would be more proper to call the Camry as the E-Class of the mid-size family sedans.
Old 12-27-15, 09:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

LOL, you haven't even seen a new E Class. While I am not a fan of the E Class either, "for people who hate driving"? Really? What is it about a 5 Series or a GS or an A6 that is "for people who don't hate driving"? An LS isn't "for people who hate driving"?

This car is for people who hate driving?

Have you driven a new C Class? With the right options and packages they're great cars, very high quality, comfortable, fun to drive. Buddy of mine just bought a C400 AMG and its really nice.

I'm sure the all new 2017 E Class will be great.
Meh, you can post a pic of just about any car at a race track with smoke coming out from its tires. In real life these abortions are usually driven to the post office by little accountant ladies.

The GS, 5 series, even the C class - all have their own merit regardless of price. But the E class has always been overshadowed by the S class. The only people buying the E are those who can't afford the S.
Old 12-27-15, 09:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Little accountant ladies drive E63's to the post office? But they don't drive M5s to the post office? So everybody who buys an M5 drives it on the track?

Every car is overshadowed by the car above it in the chain. Guess why I got the GS in 2012? Because I couldn't afford the LS. The reason not to drive a full-size car vs the midsize car, outside of price is size, and thats a legitimate point. All of the unique plusses a GS or a 5 have vs the full-sized cars in their own line exist for MB as well. I know plenty of people who drive E Classes who could very well drive S Classes.

Your argument is predicated on the idea that an E Class is a boring, terrible car to drive "for people who hate driving" and thats just not the case. In basic trim its heavy and boaty yes, but in sportier trims its a very rewarding car. in any event discussing the outgoing car makes no sense...its outgoing...if the C and S are any example I'm sure this car will turn out well. If I was still in that segment, it would probably be a car I would likely buy.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-27-15 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-27-15, 09:59 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Little accountant ladies drive E63's to the post office? But they don't drive M5s to the post office? So everybody who buys an M5 drives it on the track?
M5 and E63 are rare, exclusive models that are in their own league. An average E350 that is sold in droves is usually driven by those who don't enjoy driving.

Every car is overshadowed by the car above it in the chain. Guess why I got the GS in 2012? Because I couldn't afford the LS. The reason not to drive a full-size car vs the midsize car, outside of price is size, and thats a legitimate point. All of the unique plusses a GS or a 5 have vs the full-sized cars in their own line exist for MB as well. I know plenty of people who drive E Classes who could very well drive S Classes.
The GS and LS are utterly different animals. If money was no object, I'd love to own both. I also love the 5 series but don't care much for the 7. I don't see the GS or 5 series being overshadowed by LS and 7 at all - they are simply different. But I bet you any E class owner would rather have the S if money was no object.

Your argument is predicated on the idea that an E Class is a boring, terrible car to drive "for people who hate driving" and thats just not the case. In basic trim its heavy and boaty yes, but in sportier trims its a very rewarding car. in any event discussing the outgoing car makes no sense...its outgoing...if the C and S are any example I'm sure this car will turn out well. If I was still in that segment, it would probably be a car I would likely buy.
I'm old enough to have seen quite a few generations of the E class come and go. And they were always very uninspiring.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class