Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 10:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
M5 and E63 are rare, exclusive models that are in their own league. An average E350 that is sold in droves is usually driven by those who don't enjoy driving.
But thats true of the 5 series and A6 too! Both the E Class and 5 Series sales are very similar, and I see lowly optioned 5 Series driven by little old ladies all the time. Lexus has the ES which is a little unique, but even so I see people in the GS all the time driven by ancient people slowly in the right lane. What you fail to realize is that MOST people don't enjoy driving.

The GS and LS are utterly different animals. If money was no object, I'd love to own both. I also love the 5 series but don't care much for the 7. I don't see the GS or 5 series being overshadowed by LS and 7 at all - they are simply different. But I bet you any E class owner would rather have the S if money was no object.
I don't agree. If that was the case, why did they make the 5 Series bigger, put it on the 7 series platform and make it feel more like the 7 Series on the road?

I also know several E Class owners that I know could buy an S Class, but have the E Class. The S Class is huge, and its a lumbering car. The same difference between the LS and GS exists between the S Class and E Class.

The S Class doesn't come in a SWB. The LWB S Class or LS or 7 is too big for me, if the new 2017 E comes out well...I could see myself buying a highly optioned one over an S Class.

The GS and LS aren't all that different. The GS is firmer no doubt, more aggressive but the luxury model GS I had before I got the LS was very similar to the LS in a lot of ways.

I'm old enough to have seen quite a few generations of the E class come and go. And they were always very uninspiring.
Thats your opinion, I too have seen quite a few generations come and go, and while they've never been for me I can understand why they'd be for somebody.

I just don't understand how you could have had an LS, and say the E Class is for people that hate driving but the LS is not? And thats coming from an LS owner.
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

SW15LS, you're wasting your time debating with Och.
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
An average E350 that is sold in droves is usually driven by those who don't enjoy driving.
Isn´t that the "normal" case with almost every brand or car model except for the most extreme models ? A very few people out there are buying for driving pleasure only and they dont buy the base sedan model of Lexus, BMW, Audi or MB, thats for sure.
Old 12-27-15, 10:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
You've met me right?
Old 12-27-15, 10:20 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
As if debating on the internet isn't supposed to be a waste of time?
Old 12-27-15, 10:35 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't agree. If that was the case, why did they make the 5 Series bigger, put it on the 7 series platform and make it feel more like the 7 Series on the road?
And look at the outcry from BMW diehards. There are thousands of pages of jihad on BMW forums with everyone complaining about 5 series losing some of its sporty character.

Heck, the E class could become FWD and hardly anyone would notice.

I just don't understand how you could have had an LS, and say the E Class is for people that hate driving but the LS is not? And thats coming from an LS owner.
I had an old LS when I was young and poor. But I actually love the LS and the S class. There isn't anything that drives with as much authority as the S class. In the past the LS used to give it a run for the money, but unfortunately its lagging further and further behind these days.
Old 12-27-15, 10:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
In the past the LS used to give it a run for the money, but unfortunately its lagging further and further behind these days.
The LS is lagging further and further becuase it hasn't really been updated since 06/07. I personally like the looks and the interior of the facelift 13 model, buts it still the same as the 07.

I could argue that the S class has jumped a level up over the flagship offerings, the MSRP of the s class is 25k higher than the LS.

Hopefully the next gen LS will move significantly higher is starting MSRP.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-27-15 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-27-15, 10:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The LS is lagging further and further becuase it hasn't really been updated since 06/07. I personally like the looks and the interior of the facelift 13 model, buts it still the same as the 07.

I could argue that the S class has jumped a level up over the flagship offerings, the MSRP of the s class is 25k higher than the LS.

Hopefully the next gen LS will move significantly higher is starting MSRP, perhaps there will be a spot between the GS and LS for a new model.
Well, even back in 06 when it was introduced, the LS was still a few notches behind W221 S class, but ever since that gap has been widening. I do find the exterior of the 13+ LS gorgeous, but it needs a major overhaul in every other department to be competitive again.
Old 12-27-15, 11:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well, even back in 06 when it was introduced, the LS was still a few notches behind W221 S class, but ever since that gap has been widening. I do find the exterior of the 13+ LS gorgeous, but it needs a major overhaul in every other department to be competitive again.
I will agree with you on some extend that it is a few notches behind, but mine critique of the 07 LS was more to do with the styling and interior design, I never loved the look of it. I think the V8 powetrain was very good but I could not really understand why they made the 600h, they should of just made a V12.

I firmly believe the next gen LS is going to get the RX styling inside and out.

Back to the E class, its pretty impressive. A cabriolet, coupe, wagan, sedan, diesel, hybrid I think, V8 (haha), AMG. What else?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-27-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-27-15, 11:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I will agree with you on some extend that it is a few notches behind, but mine critique of the 07 LS was more to do with the styling and interior design, I never loved the look of it. I think the V8 powetrain was very good but I could not really understand why they made the 600h, they should of just made a V12.

I firmly believe the next gen LS is going to get the RX styling inside and out.
LS styling was top notch for its time, but it didn't age well because Lexus failed to keep up with technology. The refreshed styling is more modern, but their mouse interface thingy is a clusterpluck and they need to lose it.
Old 12-27-15, 11:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
And look at the outcry from BMW diehards. There are thousands of pages of jihad on BMW forums with everyone complaining about 5 series losing some of its sporty character.
But look at sales figures, none of that has hurt sales and that shows you the impact the "diehards" who love driving have...very little.

Heck, the E class could become FWD and hardly anyone would notice.
I don't agree. The E Class also has a strong enthusiast following.

I will agree with you on some extend that it is a few notches behind, but mine critique of the 07 LS was more to do with the styling and interior design, I never loved the look of it.
Not everything can look like this show stopper:

Beige...its best color.
Old 12-27-15, 11:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
LS styling was top notch for its time, but it didn't age well because Lexus failed to keep up with technology. The refreshed styling is more modern, but their mouse interface thingy is a clusterpluck and they need to lose it.
Interesting how you liked the styling of the 07 while I thought it was behind the times, especially the interior. Materials were all good however. 13 refresh was much better.

As for the remote touch, its too bad Lexus did not have some forward thinking and offer both a touchscreen and a remote touch. It appears all the other players will be going that way.
Old 12-27-15, 11:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

But look at sales figures, none of that has hurt sales and that shows you the impact the "diehards" who love driving have...very little.
Well, unfortunately you are right when it comes to that. Enthusiasts are still a relatively small group, and most of car buying public don't care. There is an outcry amongst enthusiasts about whats happening to BMW, but their sales are increasing.

I don't agree. The E Class also has a strong enthusiast following.
I wonder what they have to say regarding the column shifter in the new E class.

Not everything can look like this show stopper:

Beige...its best color.
Ironically, the design of this crapbucket has been ripped off by Hyundai Elantra and VW Jetta.
Old 12-27-15, 11:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting how you liked the styling of the 07 while I thought it was behind the times, especially the interior.

Originally Posted by Och
but their mouse interface thingy is a clusterpluck and they need to lose it.
You get used to it. I've had it on two cars now, and I actually prefer it mostly for the benefits it provides with interior design, making the screen bigger, putting it up higher, etc.

I wonder what they have to say regarding the column shifter in the new E class.
The outgoing E Class has the same column shifter, as does the S Class (has for two generations), and the C Class. Hey, its better than the push button things a few automakers are using

Ironically, the design of this crapbucket has been ripped off by Hyundai Elantra and VW Jetta.
Just a little example of what kind of taste Jill has in cars lol
Old 12-27-15, 11:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

You get used to it. I've had it on two cars now, and I actually prefer it mostly for the benefits it provides with interior design, making the screen bigger, putting it up higher, etc.
Yeah, but its horrible compared to competitions solutions such as the i-drive.

The outgoing E Class has the same column shifter, as does the S Class (has for two generations), and the C Class. Hey, its better than the push button things a few automakers are using

At least the AMG versions have a center console shifter, albeit cheesy looking one.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class