Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 11:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, but its horrible compared to competitions solutions such as the i-drive.
iDrive or MMI or COMAND are all control platforms, the RTC isn't a control platform...its just a mouse and the interface with the system is the same as it always was, only difference is you click stuff with the mouse instead of touching it with your finger.

In general I agree, Lexus is way behind when it comes to infotainment technology.

At least the AMG versions have a center console shifter, albeit cheesy looking one.
Not the S Class or the C Class, and my guess is not the new E Class.

S63 AMG Sedan:

S63 AMG Coupe:

S65 Sedan:

S65 Coupe:

C63:

Old 12-27-15, 12:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ My eyes hurt from all this Buickry.

This is why God created Lexus.

2017 Mercedes E Class-5mqjrqn.jpg
Old 12-27-15, 12:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm with you on the shifter. I appreciate that its an ACTUAL shifter too, not one of these BMW ones that leaves me rolling out into the parking lot trying to put it in reverse:

My Jeep Grand Cherokee had one that I always struggled to put in the right gear too:

Just so Jill feels more at home and not left out:

Old 12-27-15, 12:23 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the reason to put a shifter in an AT car in the center console other than tradition? Functionally it is better off as a stalk next to the steering column.
Old 12-27-15, 12:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm with you on the shifter. I appreciate that its an ACTUAL shifter too, not one of these BMW ones that leaves me rolling out into the parking lot trying to put it in reverse:

I'm with you on that. I still can't used to this idiotic shifter (and even more idiotic turn signal switch) after years of driving BMWs.
Old 12-27-15, 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
What's the reason to put a shifter in an AT car in the center console other than tradition? Functionally it is better off as a stalk next to the steering column.
To me its just a feel thing. I like the feeling of a regular shifter, I like to rest my arm on it when i'm driving. I like the standard way it operates vs trying to reinvent the wheel (i.e push up for reverse and push the button for park, etc).

I remember one time when we had the Jeep, my brother his wife and I were in WV and we were out one night, my sister in law was the DD. We were...obnoxious and she got pissed off and left. My brother was worried she would leave us behind and I said "Don't worry, she won't be able to figure out how to get the Jeep in reverse and get it out of the parking space because of that shifter"

Sure enough, 20 minutes later we stumble out and there she sits in the drivers seat...couldn't get it into reverse LOL.

Thats a 100% true story!
Old 12-27-15, 12:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Because this is sexy.
Attachment 493372

And this belongs in the nursing home.
Old 12-27-15, 12:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'm with you on that. I still can't used to this idiotic shifter (and even more idiotic turn signal switch) after years of driving BMWs.
The traditional shifter is what I like, however I can see why MB and BMW have gone in alternative route or way. Hopefully Lexus will come up with something their own, unique and different than a standard shifter.
Old 12-27-15, 12:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The traditional shifter is what I like, however I can see why MB and BMW have gone in alternative route or way. Hopefully Lexus will come up with something their own, unique and different than a standard shifter.
Why do we need a "unique" shifter? Why does every vehicle need to have some different way of selecting gears?

Sometimes being different for the sake of being different is just annoying.
Old 12-27-15, 12:37 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

What's the idiotic turn signal?
Old 12-27-15, 12:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

What's the idiotic turn signal?
Ah, where do I start. BMW found a way to design turn signal that completely defies logic. The turn signal switch returns to the center after you turn on your signals, and in order to shut them off you need to tap the switch again in the same direction, which is very counter intuitive. And I am tall, so my steering wheel blocks the view of turn signal indicators on the instrument panel, and I can't check whether my turn signals are on or off just by checking whether the switch is in the center or up/down - so i constantly have to bend my head and check the cluster.
Old 12-27-15, 12:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Ah, where do I start. BMW found a way to design turn signal that completely defies logic. The turn signal switch returns to the center after you turn on your signals, and in order to shut them off you need to tap the switch again in the same direction, which is very counter intuitive. And I am tall, so my steering wheel blocks the view of turn signal indicators on the instrument panel, and I can't check whether my turn signals are on or off just by checking whether the switch is in the center or up/down - so i constantly have to bend my head and check the cluster.
Lexus stole this on some of the newer cars. My 13 GS had the same sort of turn signal that returned to center, but luckily a tap the opposite way canceled them.

The LS still has the old style turn signals and I was happy to have them back.
Old 12-27-15, 01:21 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, I see. I like the MB turn signal. Press partway and the signal blinks a few times for lane switching. Press all the way for standard turns.
Old 12-27-15, 01:24 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

On the news of turn signals, Mercedes vey early on pioneered the perfect turn signal and now everyone is on board. Soft tap for 3 signals and auto return to center. Full depress for repeated signal, no auto return. Hold down the lever to the indent to control however many signals you want.
Old 12-27-15, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I do like the adjustable quick slide for 3-5-7 blinks.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class