Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15 | 01:32 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Who has the adjustable?
Old 12-27-15 | 01:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
On the news of turn signals, Mercedes vey early on pioneered the perfect turn signal and now everyone is on board. Soft tap for 3 signals and auto return to center. Full depress for repeated signal, no auto return. Hold down the lever to the indent to control however many signals you want.
Yep, in my merc soft tap returns it to center but full depress keeps it there. No problem with this whatsoever. BMW however totally efffed it up.
Old 12-27-15 | 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Who has the adjustable?
Lexus does
Old 12-27-15 | 02:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Why do we need a "unique" shifter? Why does every vehicle need to have some different way of selecting gears?

Sometimes being different for the sake of being different is just annoying.
Free up space, add some new features or maybe a wireless charging pad? There is very little need to have a shifter (although I prefer it) I could live with a dial. Lexus LS now has an automatic emergency brake, no pedal or pull, why not save the space on the shifter?

And PS, why not post pics of the 14 Corolla shifter?
Old 12-27-15 | 02:54 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I actually love the Mercedes and BMW shifters. It's so easy to just give it up a bump up or down to get into reverse or drive. I hope they don't go away. Interestingly, Jeep is bringing back the "classic" shifter for next year's Grand Cherokee:

Old 12-27-15 | 03:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And PS, why not post pics of the 14 Corolla shifter?
Because it's funnier the way I did it.

Originally Posted by TangoRedInterestingly, Jeep is bringing back the "classic" shifter for next year's Grand Cherokee:

[IMG
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/2016/2016_wk2_shifter_01.jpg[/IMG]
Doesn't surprise me. People in the Jeep forums complain about it all the time. Really was maddening!
Old 12-27-15 | 03:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Because it's funnier the way I did it.

Doesn't surprise me. People in the Jeep forums complain about it all the time. Really was maddening!
For an offroad capable vehicle, these new style trick shifters could in fact be maddening. When trying to rock your vehicle when its stuck, these zigzag or electronic shifters are very annoying.
Old 12-27-15 | 03:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
For an offroad capable vehicle, these new style trick shifters could in fact be maddening. When trying to rock your vehicle when its stuck, these zigzag or electronic shifters are very annoying.
I agree 100%, tons of threads on it over there.
Old 12-27-15 | 03:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Because it's funnier the way
immature IMO.
Old 12-27-15 | 04:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
If that is such an issue, then most SUVs are out of question for serious off road unless they have a true mechanical 4WD shifter. Only Toyota for US that I know of is the Trail 4Runner.
Old 12-27-15 | 04:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

If that is such an issue, then most SUVs are out of question for serious off road unless they have a true mechanical 4WD shifter. Only Toyota for US that I know of is the Trail 4Runner.
Most SUVs are rarely taken offroad. Jeep actually has offroad heritage.

But for proper offroading, manual is still best.
Old 12-27-15 | 04:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Jeep actually has offroad heritage.
And Toyota or Ford or Dodge do not?
Old 12-27-15 | 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think that what you are referring to is a 4WD low-range transfer-case. For true off-road work (I don't mean just dirt trails, winter snow, or fire-roads, but serious stuff like rock boulders, desert floors, creek-beds, very steep grades, etc...) having a 4WD Low-range is far more important than simply AWD or 4WD in general. That's because the low range vastly multiplies torque, pulling power at crawl-speeds, and the ability to both climb very steep slopes and hold the vehicle back coming down. Also very important to true off-roading are high approach/breakover/departure angles.

You're correct that the majority of today's SUVs, especially the car-based unibody ones, do not have that feature, simply because they are either not designed for true off-roading, or there isn't really enough demand for it from today's SUV buyers (as opposed to yesterday's). Some car-based Jeeps, however, (Patriot, Renegade, etc...) do have that feature in their Trail-Rated versions, along with the high underbody angles needed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-27-15 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-27-15 | 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back on topic, I hope to see the new E-cLass at the D.C. Auto Show next month, (if it is there, as, of course, the Detroit show will get first-pick on it, and the D.C. show overlaps the last couple days of the Detroit show). Problem is....even then, many new models (not all) are first displayed on turntables, where one cannot really get up close or inside.
Old 12-27-15 | 04:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think that what you are referring to is a 4WD low-range transfer-case. For true off-road work (I don't mean just dirt trails, winter snow, or fire-roads, but serious stuff like rock boulders, desert floors, creek-beds, very steep grades, etc...) having a 4WD Low-range is far more important than simply AWD or 4WD in general. That's because the low range vastly multiplies torque, pulling power at crawl-speeds, and the ability to both climb very steep slopes and hold the vehicle back coming down. Also very important to true off-roading are high approach/breakover/departure angles.

You're correct that the majority of today's SUVs, especially the car-based unibody ones, do not have that feature, simply because they are either not designed for true off-roading, or there isn't really enough demand for it from today's SUV buyers (as opposed to yesterday's). Some car-based Jeeps, however, (Patriot, Renegade, etc...) do have that feature in their Trail-Rated versions, along with the high underbody angles needed.
mmarshall, what I'm referring to is any mechanical 4WD/4LO shifter. A direct link to the transfer case is what is paramount when shifting from 2WD to 4WD or into 4LO from AWD or from 4LO. You do not want an electronic switch to determine if you are going to 4WD or out of 4LO and vice versa. The FJ Cruiser did it well, so does the 4Runner Trail.

When people claim how great the Land Cruiser/LX570 is for hard core off roading, I always ask whether or not the electronic 4WD shifter is superior to a mechanical link that is connected to the transfer case.

The LX470 had it, so did the GX470. Not so on the newer Toyotas.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class