Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 05:16 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That grey with AMG ( ? ) package looks pretty good to me. Looks very expensive ( and probably is ) in combination with that interior. Sadly, the 200/ 220 diesel option (136-170 hp if it doesn´t change) will stand for like 80% of the world wide sales
Old 01-04-16, 05:26 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Oddly enough, I dont dislike the Luxury trim on the E. Really like the chrome strips on the front bumper, kind of like the newer AMGs...
Old 01-04-16, 06:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Looks a bit ho-hum but kind of expected. I'll likely have to do a double take when I see one since it looks like a C-Class and S-Class. To it's credit, it looks more refined inside and out than the bland outgoing model. Overall nice improvements

The luxury version does a nice S-Class impression for much less
Old 01-04-16, 06:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Better than I had expected. It appears to be the least dumpy in the rear compared to the C and S.
Not a fan of the retro Mercedes grille and oversized 1980's headlights. I rather see them create the future instead of go back to the past. What do you all think about that aspect?
Old 01-04-16, 08:28 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Oddly enough, I dont dislike the Luxury trim on the E. Really like the chrome strips on the front bumper, kind of like the newer AMGs...
I much prefer the classic grille.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not a fan of the retro Mercedes grille and oversized 1980's headlights. I rather see them create the future instead of go back to the past. What do you all think about that aspect?
I prefer the traditional grill to the sports one personally. There's nothing wrong with continuing a tradition that's been modernized (it's now huge and is especially wide), especially if the goal is to bring luxury into paramount focus. Tradition plays huge there.

As far as the headlights are concerned, I actually think they look a bit small in comparison to the grille.
Old 01-04-16, 08:38 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Better than I had expected. It appears to be the least dumpy in the rear compared to the C and S.
It is not really retro if it has been continually used. Retro implies that it was a design characteristic of the past, which ends, and then returns. Now the circular air vents are retro.
Old 01-04-16, 09:31 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

welp. Put this interior into a 5 series, and we have a winner.

5 series still looks best in this class.
Old 01-04-16, 10:29 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks exactly as I expected. The C/E/S all look nearly identical but are obviously different in length. I'm cool with it though since it's still a handsome sedan. The interior is also a pure hybrid of the S-class and C-class, which is a good thing. Mercedes will sell a ton of these, it looks like a great car. Huge improvement over the current E-class, which I never warmed up to during it's 6-7 year run. I always felt the exterior styling was a bit frumpy and didn't age well, and the interior design is ugly and unappealing. And up until the refresh, there was plenty of cheap plastics throughout the interior. This new E-class is in another league.

It'll be interesting to see how BMW responds with the next 5er. I feel that the current 5er is very handsome and has aged very well. The interior is nice but BMW will certainly have to step it up a notch with the next body style. I've spent some time with the new 7-series and while the interior is right there with the S-class in material quality and build quality (and ahead in tech), I still feel the S-class interior is a bit flashier and appealing to the eye. I feel the next 5er's interior may be a bit on the simple, modern side too.
Old 01-04-16, 11:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
It is not really retro if it has been continually used. Retro implies that it was a design characteristic of the past, which ends, and then returns. Now the circular air vents are retro.
It's old fashioned, whether it's been in use constantly or off and on. If they want to be stuck in the past, I'd rather see them put the Mercedes emblem above the grille like decades ago. It's just getting too big and tumbly to be elegant.
Old 01-05-16, 04:34 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

It's old fashioned, whether it's been in use constantly or off and on. If they want to be stuck in the past, I'd rather see them put the Mercedes emblem above the grille like decades ago. It's just getting too big and tumbly to be elegant.
You're aware there's 2 different grilles available right? When you said retro, I think we all thought you were talking about this grille, which indeed has the star above the grille:

If you're referring to the star in the grille, then I really wouldn't call that retro either. Mercedes only started putting that in use for sedans with the last generation but its been in use in some form a long time. What you're inferring would be like BMW giving up its kidneys. It's actually pretty stupid when that's a key element of their brand identity.
Old 01-05-16, 04:36 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I feel the next 5er's interior may be a bit on the simple, modern side too.
It's going to look extremely similar to the 7-series with less nice materials. And that's not a bad thing.
Old 01-05-16, 08:10 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

It seems that MB has toned down the flames along the sides, compared to the latest S- and C-Classes. The rear end / trunk lid also seems to be flatter and less sloping. These differences give it a more elegant look, IMO. The S-Class, especially the Pullman and Maybach lines should have looked more like this; the S is supposed to look elegant, not trendy.

I prefer the traditional ("legacy") MB grille, especially on the sedans, with its chrome surround and stand-up three-pointed star hood ornament.
Old 01-05-16, 10:18 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu
It seems that MB has toned down the flames along the sides, compared to the latest S- and C-Classes. The rear end / trunk lid also seems to be flatter and less sloping. These differences give it a more elegant look, IMO. The S-Class, especially the Pullman and Maybach lines should have looked more like this; the S is supposed to look elegant, not trendy.

I prefer the traditional ("legacy") MB grille, especially on the sedans, with its chrome surround and stand-up three-pointed star hood ornament.
Agree on all points. The harsh kangaroo leg fender flares on older E's are gone. The grille pictured on the black car is much more elegant than the sport version I first brought up.
Old 01-05-16, 09:44 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty awesome, exactly what an E class should be.
Old 01-05-16, 09:52 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

very nice. the best in class just got even better

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class