Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 07:06 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I understand having a design continuity across the different models, but this is serious laziness. I guess as long as it sells, they will continue to be lazy. Lexus went down that road before with lazy redesigns and they lost their sales title.
Old 01-06-16, 07:58 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I understand having a design continuity across the different models, but this is serious laziness. I guess as long as it sells, they will continue to be lazy. Lexus went down that road before with lazy redesigns and they lost their sales title.
You know, it's actually quite presumptuous of you to determine this outcome was due to laziness. I saw the C-class design proposals and it's very clear the design leaders made a very conscientious effort to make all of these cars similar when they picked a final design. Now, whether that is the right direction or not is certainly up for debate.

I haven't seen the E-class proposals, but I was honestly shocked at how different the C-class designs looked, particularly at the rear.
Old 01-06-16, 09:46 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Everything is in the details. General greenhouse shape is similar, yes, but if you look at them side by side (Even against the S class), you will see that the dropping lines are different. The S and the C share the same, while the E is on its own.

Taken from GermanCarForums

Old 01-06-16, 09:47 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Agree on all points. The harsh kangaroo leg fender flares on older E's are gone. The grille pictured on the black car is much more elegant than the sport version I first brought up.
The fender flares on the E were removed in mid cycle. They remain on the CLS.
Old 01-06-16, 11:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I would not call it laziness. MB cars are intentionally made to look familiar. Lexus does the same thing, (ES/LS/GS all look similar from afar). Caddy, BMW and Audi are all following this trend.
Old 01-06-16, 11:26 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
E-class coupe and convertible, Mercedes GLE still has it too.
Old 01-06-16, 01:48 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Everything is in the details. General greenhouse shape is similar, yes, but if you look at them side by side (Even against the S class), you will see that the dropping lines are different. The S and the C share the same, while the E is on its own.

Taken from GermanCarForums

Sure there will always be slight differences, but even then unless you look at it side by side, it is hard to tell them apart. The C looks like someone kicked the E real hard in the azz. Just saying.
Old 01-06-16, 05:57 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

C-class is a very photogenic car due to a great design theme and because you don't have sense of scale and proportion. Once you see it on the road next to other cars it looks like the design was squished and deformed in order to accommodate the length. It looks nothing like it does on pictures, it just looks wrong. I hope the same fate wont get to E-class.
Old 01-06-16, 06:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Those wheels look really similar..
Old 01-06-16, 07:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
. It looks nothing like it does on pictures, it just looks wrong. I hope the same fate wont get to E-class.
The C-class has always looked the same whether I look at it in photos or in person.
Old 01-06-16, 07:12 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in time for the opening of the biggest Consumer Electronics Show CES® in Las Vegas the most intelligent business-sedan of all times welcomes the visitors together with the C- and S-Class.
Old 01-06-16, 07:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Agree on all points. The harsh kangaroo leg fender flares on older E's are gone. The grille pictured on the black car is much more elegant than the sport version I first brought up.
That rear fender flare was meant as a retro design theme. It was meant to tie the W212 model E-Class with the first modern (post-WW2) MB sedan, the 1953-1962 model W120 Mercedes 180 "Ponton" model, which had a very obvious rear fender flare. But it did not turn out that well and it was removed (by re-skinning the rear doors) during the MMC facelift; but they could not remove the top crease on the rear fender.
Old 01-06-16, 07:23 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
C-class is a very photogenic car due to a great design theme and because you don't have sense of scale and proportion. Once you see it on the road next to other cars it looks like the design was squished and deformed in order to accommodate the length. It looks nothing like it does on pictures, it just looks wrong. I hope the same fate wont get to E-class.
The C-Class looks too round, IMO, as though the designers tried to shrink the S-Class but could not maintain all proportions in the shrink; it seems they had to maintain the height, so that the proportions came out all wrong. And the trunk lid is just too droopy for my tastes (I guess I would agree with Fizzboy7 here).

To me, the new E-Class (at least in these pictures) looks less rounded and with a higher trunk lid, which makes it look more elegant, IMO. To me, MBs looked the best when they looked sleek, yet elegant, especially some of the past (not recent) S-Class models.
Old 01-06-16, 07:28 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sulu
It seems that MB has toned down the flames along the sides, compared to the latest S- and C-Classes. The rear end / trunk lid also seems to be flatter and less sloping. These differences give it a more elegant look, IMO. The S-Class, especially the Pullman and Maybach lines should have looked more like this; the S is supposed to look elegant, not trendy.

I prefer the traditional ("legacy") MB grille, especially on the sedans, with its chrome surround and stand-up three-pointed star hood ornament.
I'm on the same boat. I understand why they have a Luxury model and a Sport model, but I wish one could still get the traditional Mercedes grille with hood ornament on the Sport model. To me, an E-class is the type of Mercedes where having that hood ornament is a must.
Old 01-06-16, 07:32 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Those wheels look really similar..
I also think that is pushing the envelope. These wheels are available on the C, E, and S.

Now Audi is well-known for their homogeneity between models, but at least they all have different wheels, LED patters, and tail light designs.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class