Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-16, 07:53 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
of course that doesn't make the GS bad it just means it doesn't really compete overall with a brand new E class.
No, not at all. And as a matter of fact, as great as the E Class looks I would still go for a 4GS if I was in the market right now.
Old 01-17-16, 07:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
No, not at all. And as a matter of fact, as great as the E Class looks I would still go for a 4GS if I was in the market right now.
I loved my 4GS, but honestly....unless this was a LOT more money I'd be in one of these.
Old 01-17-16, 08:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Why? ........
Old 01-17-16, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

..............for reliability reasons?
Old 01-17-16, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

The less than spectacular '16 gs front refresh notwithstanding, it probably still looks better to many, including me, than this bland new e class exterior.

Where the gs will lose is on features, engine range, but it may still win on ride quality, handling, and value.
Old 01-17-16, 09:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Ride quality? Eh doubt it. Handling, reliability, and value for sure though. I really dislike the current generation GS styling and can't wait for the next gen. From my perpsective, a properly optioned F10 5-series was the class winner this time around.

Last edited by TangoRed; 01-17-16 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 09:42 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The less than spectacular '16 gs front refresh notwithstanding, it probably still looks better to many, including me, than this bland new e class exterior.

Where the gs will lose is on features, engine range, but it may still win on ride quality, handling, and value.
Not so much on engine range. E class will debut with the single 2.0 turbo and they haven't announced anything
Old 01-19-16, 08:09 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

What he said.
Old 01-19-16, 08:11 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why? ........
First year issues with the E Class, non-existent in the GS. I also personally like the styling of the GS better than the E Class. I've also owned one so I know the GS is a great all-around car with great reliability

In 2017, maybe a different story.
Old 01-20-16, 04:46 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new E-Class marks the next step on the road to autonomous driving with the DRIVE PILOT driver assistance system. It can autonomously follow a vehicle travelling in front at speeds of up to 210 km/h, and at up to 130 km/h even without clear lane markings. If the indicator is activated for at least two seconds, the system can also steer the car into the neighbouring lane, having first identified the lane is clear. Further intelligent assistance systems are Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function, Evasive Steering Assist and Remote Parking Pilot, which, for the first time, enables remote parking using a smartphone app.
Old 01-21-16, 11:18 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ 125mph, I think I'd rather be driving and paying attention!!!
Old 01-24-16, 10:37 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes that should be the case. The GS should be coming up to the end of life soon for its current generation. The E class should feel very fresh.
I would like to think this is true but Lexus' 3rd generation IS, while a good car overall and nice to look at, arrived a couple years after the current 3-series and a few years after the current A4 with a sub-par interior. Now the 3er has been refreshed, a new A4 is hitting dealers, and the new C-class just puts everybody to shame in the interior department. So I'm not super convinced that the next GS will live up to the competition either.

I can't be too much of a skeptic though, that LC500 I stood just a couple feet away from was proof in my eyes that Lexus is serious about taking their brand to the next level.
Old 01-24-16, 10:41 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Ride quality? Eh doubt it. Handling, reliability, and value for sure though. I really dislike the current generation GS styling and can't wait for the next gen. From my perpsective, a properly optioned F10 5-series was the class winner this time around.
The current 5er has held up really well both inside and out. I am a long-time BMW guy though and it's driving dynamics always let me down. It seems like ever since the release of the E89 Z4 in 2009 every new bodystyle from BMW hasn't driven how a BMW should. Still better than all the competition? Yes. Still feel like a BMW? A little, powertrains have been on point but ride and steering have become softer.

BMW did a great job with the new 7-series so I'm confident the next 5er will really be something nice as well, I just hopes it stops gaining weight and starts feeling like a real BMW again.
Old 01-25-16, 10:42 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
The current 5er has held up really well both inside and out. I am a long-time BMW guy though and it's driving dynamics always let me down. It seems like ever since the release of the E89 Z4 in 2009 every new bodystyle from BMW hasn't driven how a BMW should. Still better than all the competition? Yes. Still feel like a BMW? A little, powertrains have been on point but ride and steering have become softer.

BMW did a great job with the new 7-series so I'm confident the next 5er will really be something nice as well, I just hopes it stops gaining weight and starts feeling like a real BMW again.
F10 5 series driving dynamics is definitely not better than the current gen GS. Not even close to be brutally honest.
Old 01-25-16, 12:21 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
F10 5 series driving dynamics is definitely not better than the current gen GS. Not even close to be brutally honest.
When optioned properly I think the F10 5-series doesn't embarass itself, but I agree the Lexus GS is clearly better. When I made my original post (that BrownPride responded to) I was talking about overall appeal. The F10's range of engines, great lease deals, looks, and options list made it a no-brainer for many. The dynamics on most models sold were unappealing to me, however. Anyways, back to the E-class:

Last edited by TangoRed; 01-25-16 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class