Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 09:51 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
vs

I love this move by Mercedes not to use the same tune for the 3.0L V6. Helps make the E43 even more distinctive than the C43.
I believe the e has larger turbos than the c
Old 03-10-16, 10:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

same engine, attributed to larger turbos and tuning.
Old 03-10-16, 10:58 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yep and I'm happy the touchpad is making it here in time. The availability of the parts was a bit touch and go which is why the scroll wheel was present in the launch pics. What was funny was that the flat touch pad was in several pics during the launch as well, but only when interior pieces were presented in a freestanding nature vs. installed in the car.

As far as the W205 only coming in 4matic guise, I read it that it had to do with streamlining plant operations at the beginning. Given the quality of the initial run of Alabama C-class's, they had plenty of problem to address.
Actually I dislike the look of the flat pad, but it made me a bit sick to know that if the rotary **** came back, it would be discontinued within a year.
Old 03-10-16, 11:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
I believe the e has larger turbos than the c
Originally Posted by RXSF
same engine, attributed to larger turbos and tuning.
Well there we have it. Either way for E-Class
Old 03-11-16, 01:43 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amount of glare on those screen panels is surprising. How come no one thought of matte panel?

Anyway headlight technology is amazing, it's the freaking proper way to do LED lighting. Now that we are past Christmas decoration of headlight clusters fad LED is finally utilized for all its benefits. Time where there will be only one beam that outputs light as much as or more than today's high beam all the time are here to stay within three to four years. Sure it will be optional on most of the offerings but its exciting none the less.

Other thing that caught my eye was the promotion of autopilot and selfparking feature like its a new game or something. Its not a new game its just marketed right and it has caught traction. Lexus and Infiniti missed the boat on this big time. Lexus was the first one to the parallel parking and backup parking and yet they did nothing with it and they have silently dropped it. They could have easily made the car come out of the garage or parking space for you as its the same technology and its a pure gimmick unlike self parallel parking but its the gimmick Lexus needed to sell the feature.

And I don't want to comment on "self-driving" feature that uses radar and LKA. Lexus and Infiniti cars have been doing this for almost a decade now. Im not sure they relied on Navigation data or camera upfront but they did work like this new E-class. Im sure tech in E-class is a lot more refined and precise but again its the same damn thing Lexus and Infiniti had years ago.
Old 03-11-16, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
And I don't want to comment on "self-driving" feature that uses radar and LKA. Lexus and Infiniti cars have been doing this for almost a decade now. Im not sure they relied on Navigation data or camera upfront but they did work like this new E-class. Im sure tech in E-class is a lot more refined and precise but again its the same damn thing Lexus and Infiniti had years ago.
so you don't want to comment on it but you did anyway. just kidding.

yes, lexus definitely missed the boat there... the self-parking feature of the LS had a lot of if's and but's AND needed human intervention anyway, so it was more gimmick than useful, and maybe lexus didn't continue quickly developing it because it wasn't well received? either way, we have to remember that lexus, being only a part of toyota, doesn't have the r&d budget of mercedes, whose entire fate depends on successful models and leadership if they can do it, and they've correctly decided imo to make the standard e-class (not amg) a highly refined low stress vehicle for people who have to drive rather than want to drive with a movement toward self-driving. even in the amg case self-driving will become important for differentiation and because even for a 'hot' car, sometimes the driver won't want to be bothered, particularly in traffic.

i can't wait for the day when i come out of a place walk up to my car (it starts itself of course), i get in and just say 'home please' and off we go.
Old 03-11-16, 08:07 AM
RXSF

LKA barely was able to keep you in the lane. Sure it slightly turned the wheel, but it practically made you drive on the line and beep the hell out of you. This is much much more advanced.

As for LED tech, I dont think I have heard anything change in legislation so Ill be a bit bummed when it is confirmed that we won't get the new multi beam functions on this E
Old 03-11-16, 09:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Because this is not a true AMG. The C43 that will come out this year, is the same C450 AMG Sport as last year. These do not deserve the AMG badge.
I see your POV. But honestly, I doubt most average buyers will know the difference between an AMG Sport vs an AMG.
Old 03-11-16, 11:10 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Because this is not a true AMG. The C43 that will come out this year, is the same C450 AMG Sport as last year. These do not deserve the AMG badge.
But the MB+AMG folks thought otherwise?
Old 03-11-16, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i can't wait for the day when i come out of a place walk up to my car (it starts itself of course), i get in and just say 'home please' and off we go.

Be careful what you wish for..........

Old 03-11-16, 11:43 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Be careful what you wish for..........

I grew up like that. As my friends called me - Born with a silver spoon in my mouth.
The driver lived with us in the garage, and for all practical purposes he was like an uncle, and I called him just that - Uncle. - taking me wherever I wanted to go. All I needed to do was ask. Ahh...memories.
Old 03-12-16, 10:53 AM
RXSF

MY17 E-Class Sedan DOG 03.10.2016.pdf

Dealer Ordering guide for US. I can already tell this will be an expensive car. While the nav is standard, I dont know why they didn't rope in the 12 inch instrument cluster into one of the premium packages. It is standalone at $1000, and also they require an additional $250 since it will be special order only...

No mention of multi beam in the US, and also slightly annoyed that the multispoke rims I wanted on the sport package is not available.
Old 03-21-16, 08:02 PM
RXSF

Old 03-22-16, 02:40 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've checked the German pricing. Forget about all those autopilot features. The least expensive package with self park and other stuff is over $6,000 while the the complete autopilot package is $12,000. Remember that these packages do not include any of other premium options other than LED matrix headlights which are $3,500 standalone option.

There is going to be very, very few E-classes that drive itself on the road. Great marketing I guess.
Old 03-22-16, 03:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I've checked the German pricing. Forget about all those autopilot features. The least expensive package with self park and other stuff is over $6,000 while the the complete autopilot package is $12,000. Remember that these packages do not include any of other premium options other than LED matrix headlights which are $3,500 standalone option.

There is going to be very, very few E-classes that drive itself on the road. Great marketing I guess.
I think the higher end E class models you are referring to will sell well.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class