Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 08:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

maybe i am just getting used to the mb pricing, but i actually think the e43 pricing to be pretty in line with what i think

i also doubt we will see e400 here, sounds a bit too "congested"
Old 09-20-16, 09:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i also doubt we will see e400 here, sounds a bit too "congested"
Car and Driver just posted their first drive review of the E400 wagon. I am sure the sedan will be coming soon.
Old 09-20-16, 09:34 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Car and Driver just posted their first drive review of the E400 wagon. I am sure the sedan will be coming soon.
The E400 wagon was always part of the plan though. They post release schedules out over a year in advance...that's what I was saying. No E400 sedan currently on the horizon. /brokenrecord

EDIT: LexusCTJill- you may also need to take into account that the W212 E550 and subsequent E400 only made up 6-9% of the sedan sales mix, depending on the year. I wish I could find the slides from 2014, but they were actually selling more E63's than E550/E400's.

Last edited by TangoRed; 09-20-16 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 12:27 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

One reason the E wagon has never sold well here is pricing. Its a significant premium over the sedan, and has a lot of options standard. I remember reading that Mercedes marketing did a bit of research and figured out its wagon customers were like in the top 3 or 4% of income in the US. Basically Benz has figured out they can price gouge people for the E wagon because they want to be different/unique instead of buying a loaded up GLE(M-Class) or a more basic GLS(just GL in previous years)

Still, one of my all time favorite Benz models was the 2003-2006 E55 AMG Wagon. Classic Mercedes station wagon styling, big wheels, big sticky tires, huge brakes, 469hp/520lb-ft 5.5 liter supercharged V8, indestructible and quick/smooth shifting 5 speed automatic. Main thing was the engine though, best throttle response I've ever sampled in an automatic transmission car. Plus it is supercharged, so it has that crazy whine, especially evident if you swap out the airbox and put on a smaller diameter pulley on the supercharger that makes it spin faster. Its stupid easy to get an extra 150hp out of that engine without affecting driveability. Plus that station wagon, back in the day, was faster through the quarter mile than a 2003-2004 Corvette Z06.

Last edited by Aron9000; 09-21-16 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-21-16, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Still, one of my all time favorite Benz models was the 2003-2006 E55 AMG Wagon. Classic Mercedes station wagon styling, big wheels, big sticky tires, huge brakes, 469hp/520lb-ft 5.5 liter supercharged V8, indestructible and quick/smooth shifting 5 speed automatic. Main thing was the engine though, best throttle response I've ever sampled in an automatic transmission car. Plus it is supercharged, so it has that crazy whine, especially evident if you swap out the airbox and put on a smaller diameter pulley on the supercharger that makes it spin faster. Its stupid easy to get an extra 150hp out of that engine without affecting driveability. Plus that station wagon, back in the day, was faster through the quarter mile than a 2003-2004 Corvette Z06.
I did a full-review on an E63 sedan of (roughly) that vintage (507 HP, 469 ft-lbs. of torque), and I have to agree it was probably the fastest sedan I had ever sampled. I didn't actually try it (I don't abuse cars when I test-drive them), but, had I turned the traction/stability system off and floored it, that car would have done a solid burnout for probably a quarter of a mile.
Old 09-21-16, 10:44 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I saw an fully loaded E300 in showroom before and thought it was nice. I was behind one the other day. I was kind of disappointed. It looks too much like a C. Not sure how true but the salesman told me there would only be E43 not 400 for the US.
Old 09-28-16, 07:04 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mercedes E-Class All-Terrain Revealed, Rivals Volvo V90 Cross Country

After a short teaser video today, Mercedes revealed the first information on the newest member of the E-Class family, the All-Terrain model.

Set to challenge models like the Audi A6 Allroad and the also freshly revealed Volvo V90 Cross Country, the new E-Class All-Terrain is basically a lifted version of the wagon bodystyle with flared wheel arches, a different front grille with two fins and of course the company’s 4Matic AWD system fitted as standard.

The new E-Class All-Terrain also comes with Mercedes’ Air Body Control multi-chamber air suspension and up to 35mm increase in ride height. This means that the rugged version of the E-Class Estate can offer up to 156mm of ground clearance, when the suspension is set at its highest setting.

"No E-Class has ever been as versatile as the All‑Terrain. The new model combines a striking look in SUV style with the intelligent space concept of the estate. This is coupled with lots of innovative safety features and the multi-award-winning E‑Class interior", says Ola Källenius, Member of the Daimler management board responsible for Sales and Marketing of Mercedes Benz Cars.

"With 4MATIC all‑wheel drive as a standard feature and increased ground clearance thanks to the AIR BODY CONTROL multi-chamber air suspension the All‑Terrain is a flexible all‑rounder – for unpaved roads, family and leisure time."

The company has retuned their AWD system specifically for the All-Terrain while the 19-inch alloy wheels are dressed with higher-sided tires to improve the off-road capabilities and the ride comfort on any sort of roads.

An ‘All-Terrain’ mode has been added to the Dynamic Select, bringing the total of available driving modes up to five. The new off-road setting primes the whole car for off-road use, adjusting the ESP, Active Yaw Control and ASC and lifting the suspension.

Mercedes will initially offer the new E-Class All Terrain with only one engine, a 2.0-litre diesel with 191hp and 295lb ft of peak torque paired to the nine-speed 9G-Tronic automatic gearbox. 0-62mph comes in 8 seconds flat, with a top speed of 144mph. Mercedes reckons it will return a combined 55.4mpg UK while CO2 emissions are rated at 137g/km. The E 220 d 4Matic All Terrain will be joined by a six-cylinder E350d model later in 2017.

The new Mercedes E-Class All Terrain is set to make its first public appearance at the upcoming Paris Motor Show.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/new...l-terrain.html

Old 09-28-16, 07:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

^ Man that looks tacky as all get out. I can't stand that matte black/grey plastic trim on car bumpers/wheel arches. It ends up fading and looking horrible after 2-3 years.
Old 09-28-16, 08:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I think it's awesome!
Old 09-28-16, 10:04 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

That is what all terrain gets you. It is what is found on the audi all road models. If you dont want it, then just get the toned down estate version or your mall excursions.
Old 09-29-16, 07:21 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

^ Man that looks tacky as all get out. I can't stand that matte black/grey plastic trim on car bumpers/wheel arches. It ends up fading and looking horrible after 2-3 years.
I've actually been seeing the latest batch of Audi Allroad's stay on point from a wear and tear perspective.

Originally Posted by RXSF
That is what all terrain gets you. It is what is found on the audi all road models. If you dont want it, then just get the toned down estate version or your mall excursions.
This model isn't even slated to come to the U.S. anyways. Interesting enough, you can opt for painted fenders on the A4 Allroad. No one gets them though. Also it's not like Aron9000 was going to buy one of these new.
Old 09-30-16, 01:18 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I've actually been seeing the latest batch of Audi Allroad's stay on point from a wear and tear perspective.

This model isn't even slated to come to the U.S. anyways. Interesting enough, you can opt for painted fenders on the A4 Allroad. No one gets them though. Also it's not like Aron9000 was going to buy one of these new.

You've actually seen an Audi All-road in the wild??? I've seen maybe ONE of them in person, and that was like 10 years ago when they first came out. Their Q line of SUV's though, those things are everywhere, especially the Q5.

Although I agree it is kind of a moot point, I'm not buying a Mercedes station wagon, I can think of way more compelling vehicles for $80k and you can't even buy that model in the states.

The kind of crazy thing about this Benz wagon with cladding is its another niche model that Benz is going forward with, apparently they see a market. Its kind of insane how many different body variants Benz and BMW(and to a lesser extent Audi) have come out with in the past 5 years. Makes the rest of the industry, including Lexus, seem asleep at the wheel with just a dearth of no new models coming out(hello, 3 row crossover, LS replacement is 4 years late, where's a convertible???) I counted 23 different body styles(not including AMG variants) on www.mbusa.com, assuming you count things like the E class coupe, wagon, sedan, and convertible as 4 different models.
Old 10-09-16, 11:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The kind of crazy thing about this Benz wagon with cladding is its another niche model that Benz is going forward with, apparently they see a market. Its kind of insane how many different body variants Benz and BMW(and to a lesser extent Audi) have come out with in the past 5 years. Makes the rest of the industry, including Lexus, seem asleep at the wheel with just a dearth of no new models coming out(hello, 3 row crossover, LS replacement is 4 years late, where's a convertible???) I counted 23 different body styles(not including AMG variants) on www.mbusa.com, assuming you count things like the E class coupe, wagon, sedan, and convertible as 4 different models.
I agree with you on the incredible amount of products from Mercedes but not as much that Lexus is sleeping behind the wheel. Mercedes sells more designs throughout out the world but if you combine Lexus and Toyota, they cover a lot of different products, price points and options.
Old 10-10-16, 03:27 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default 2018 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe Looks Like A Mini S-Class

Winter is coming, but that isn’t stopping the all-new E-Class Coupe from dropping some of its clothes in the latest spy video.

Snapped in Germany, probably somewhere near the brand's headquarters, the carmaker's latest addition to the E-Class range, which will join the new sedan, estate and thehairy-chested All-Terrain, is more willing than ever to partially reveal its fresh design.

While its exterior follows the brand's 'Matryoshka doll' pattern, being sandwiched between the smaller C-Class Coupe and the larger S-Class Coupe, inside it will gain all the gizmos and tech found on the rest of its executive siblings, including the fully-digital console, which will become available on high-end grades.

Daimler's map of future products spoke of a 2017 unveil for the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe, and by that time, the company's BMW 6-Series Coupe fighter will benefit from the sedan's powertrains. The lineup will include the E43 AMG and the range-topping E63 AMG with its two outputs, which, in the most potent version, will be good for 612 PS (604 HP) and 850 Nm (627 pound-feet) of torque.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/201...upe-looks.html
Old 10-10-16, 03:42 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain Is A 'Maybe' For The US

Mercedes-Benz execs have yet to take an official decision when it comes to whether the newly unveiled E-Class All-Terrain will launch in the United States.

"We're still debating that and thinking about it. It's a very, very exciting vehicle, and we're taking a look at overall production, volumes that we have to have and business case and so on. So we'll see. Decision not finally made", as the brand's USA CEO, Dietmar Exler, toldAutomotiveNews.

If it will be considered profitable and competitive enough, then a possible launch of the E-Class All-Terrain in the US could happen sometime next year, following the latest interpretation of the E-Class sedan, which went on sale this summer, and the E-Class Estate, on which the All-Terrain is based, which will become available across the pond in early 2017.

Designed and developed to tackle the Audi A6 Allroad and the Volvo V90 Cross Country, the Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain features a rugged exterior, with a more generous ground clearance over the standard wagon and plastic cladding to enhance its off road abilities. It also comes with standard 4Matic all-wheel drive and an extensive range of petrol and diesel powertrains.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/mer...errain-is.html

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class