Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 07:02 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, saw my first E class in real life today on the highway. Funny a C class sedan first drove by me, and then a E followed it. Boy I thought they both C class just with difference package so the rear is bit different until I notice the badge on the trunk! They are more similar in person than in pictures, and only by looking at the daytime running LED headlights strips that I can tell the difference from the front...
Old 10-10-16, 07:05 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

And it also just look like a C coupe as well, now I'm little disappointed since I was really considering a S coupe

as the next car, which I think it's the most beautiful coupe inside out on the road. However, I don't want to spend 150k+ for a car only a E and C coupe can look similar, which cost half as much :/
Old 10-10-16, 07:50 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Ok, saw my first E class in real life today on the highway. Funny a C class sedan first drove by me, and then a E followed it. Boy I thought they both C class just with difference package so the rear is bit different until I notice the badge on the trunk! They are more similar in person than in pictures, and only by looking at the daytime running LED headlights strips that I can tell the difference from the front...
Ye I saw my 1st one yesterday and pulled right behind it at the red light to confirm it said E not C - the car is really hideous in real life even worse than the pics.

New 5 is being revealed this week - hopefully BMW doesn't mess up.

BTW saw the new Ccoupe as well the other day and wow is this thing hideous - even worse than the new E....Last gen MB designs were great but starting with the SL it went down. Thankfully S and S coupe still look great.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 10-10-16 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-11-16, 06:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

sheesh - due to changing regs and demands etc sedans and coupes are getting higher at the front and back - granted those pics probably show it in about the worst possible way...
Old 10-11-16, 07:11 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sheesh - due to changing regs and demands etc sedans and coupes are getting higher at the front and back - granted those pics probably show it in about the worst possible way...
The front has certainly gotten more upright, but you're mostly seeing a visual trick in the rear due to the styling. I must say, for me the coupe looks great in person. I think it has some seriously awkward angles in pictures, imo. Mostly from the front 3/4ths angle. This is really exemplified by the second picture of the blue one above...It looks awkward at 3/4ths but the black one in the background looks fantastic.

Old 10-11-16, 08:50 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Which means they are getting uglier. Wish they had a better solution for these regs then all these big, overly thick grills that ruin designs. Sports cars are still offering sleek, lower, hoods/designs, why can't sedans and coupes?
Old 10-11-16, 09:21 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really like the look of these new Mercedes. Too round IMO.
Old 10-11-16, 02:07 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Styling is very subjective, but I would have preferred if the coupes stuck to this basic Benz classic shape.

New coupe C-pillar too similar to Lexus RX Coupe.
Old 10-18-16, 02:37 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes-Benz E-Class And Peugeot 3008 Ace Euro NCAP Tests

Mercedes-Benz's E-Class sedan and Peugeot's 3008 crossover have been awarded with a maximum five-star safety rating during the latest round of assessments conducted by Euro NCAP.

The German executive saloon has scored 95 percent for Adult Occupant, where the dummies' readings indicate 'good' or 'adequate' protection for the key areas of the body. The poorest rating noted is 'marginal' and was achieved by the rear passenger's chest, during the frontal full width impact.

The latest generation Mercedes-Benz E-Class is also child-friendly, with a 90 percent score, while the Pedestrian protection carries a 77 percent rating, with the front area of the hood and the A-pillars being noted 'poor'. In the Safety Assist, the four-door vehicle has been rated at 62 percent, thanks to the standard automatic emergency braking.

Unveiled earlier this year with an updated design that moves away from the previous MPV, the 2017 Peugeot 3008 has scored top notch as well in Euro NCAP's tests. The crossover showed either 'good' or 'adequate' protection for the adult occupants, with the only problem being on the driver's chest in the frontal impact, noted as 'marginal.

The Adult Occupant protection sits at 86 percent for the French vehicle, while Child protection was rated at 85 percent. In the pedestrian impact test, the new 3008 was rated with 67 percent and sees the lower and side parts of the windshields as the most problematic ones. Since the autonomous braking system is not standard on all models, the safety systems carry a 58 percent rating.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/mer...geot-3008.html
Old 10-19-16, 05:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Ye I saw my 1st one yesterday and pulled right behind it at the red light to confirm it said E not C - the car is really hideous in real life even worse than the pics.

New 5 is being revealed this week - hopefully BMW doesn't mess up.

BTW saw the new Ccoupe as well the other day and wow is this thing hideous - even worse than the new E....Last gen MB designs were great but starting with the SL it went down. Thankfully S and S coupe still look great.

No way, C class and S class coupe are among the best looking coupes out there.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The front has certainly gotten more upright, but you're mostly seeing a visual trick in the rear due to the styling. I must say, for me the coupe looks great in person. I think it has some seriously awkward angles in pictures, imo. Mostly from the front 3/4ths angle. This is really exemplified by the second picture of the blue one above...It looks awkward at 3/4ths but the black one in the background looks fantastic.

Good info!
Old 10-20-16, 05:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I'm not sure how you can think the S Class Coupe is beautiful and the C Class Coupe is hideous. The C Class Coupe basically looks like a mini S Class Coupe...
Old 10-20-16, 06:30 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm not sure how you can think the S Class Coupe is beautiful and the C Class Coupe is hideous. The C Class Coupe basically looks like a mini S Class Coupe...

Agreed, they're both great designs. Although the S-class coupe, being so damn big it has a real imposing, heavy presence.
Old 10-20-16, 06:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Agreed, they're both great designs. Although the S-class coupe, being so damn big it has a real imposing, heavy presence.
Probably my favorite car on the road right now.
Old 10-20-16, 08:17 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

It's the proportion and interpretation of the design, I love the S and S coupe, and while think the C and C coupe look hideous and weird, and look half *** done. Very interesting how the similar design can make so much difference.
Old 10-20-16, 08:20 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, this generation of mercs worst angle is the front 1/4 angle because of the slope butt.

It makes it look like it has no butt. The front quarter angle is hard to get right. Even the 3GS looked hideous from that angle.

bmw gets the front quarter angle done right as far as butts go

Originally Posted by TangoRed

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class