Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-15, 06:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

^^^ yeah that one still looks great, particular in black.
Old 11-07-15, 09:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the w211 was purely handsome. i still remember when i first saw it in MIB2, i was like wow damn....
Old 11-07-15, 09:43 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The W211 is a timeless design, I think it will age better than the frumpy square headlight W212.

Plus the AMG models in the W211 were RWD. I know the newer AWD AMG cars are faster, but if I have that much power, I want to do a burnout and powerslides dammit

Old 11-07-15, 11:06 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the w211 was purely handsome. i still remember when i first saw it in MIB2, i was like wow damn....
oh yeah right i remember reading that it was shown in that movie before it officially went on sale. i definitely don't dislike the standard E320 looks but i don't love it either. the E55 though... it added just the right amount of subtle aggression that made it so pretty...

not only was there more of a distinction between amg and non amg in the looks, but the driving experience was way different as well. the E500 had a 5 liter V8, then the E55 had an engine that was bigger AND supercharged, so not only was there A LOT more power, the supercharged engine delivered the power in a different way (all at once all the time) whereas the E550 now already has a twin turbo v8 and the E63 is just a scaled up version of that. the feel is almost identical, just more of it in the E63. also a good 75% of normal E classes (at least those i see) already have the 'AMG' wheels from the dealer so that even further blurs the line of distinction

i dont care what any results say, i'm quite familiar with each and the older E55 just feels way more muscley, hell my LS 400 gets off the line quicker than the biturbo E63. use launch control on the E and it's a whole different story lol but under normal conditions LS is more responsive
Old 11-07-15, 11:32 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The W211 is a timeless design, I think it will age better than the frumpy square headlight W212.

Plus the AMG models in the W211 were RWD. I know the newer AWD AMG cars are faster, but if I have that much power, I want to do a burnout and powerslides dammit
The W211 was definitely a high point in E-class design. To the W212's defense, the pre-facelift AMG models were RWD and brought in great handling.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
not only was there more of a distinction between amg and non amg in the looks, but the driving experience was way different as well.
Hmm, not sure if I agree here. The distinction between non-AMG and AMG has stayed relatively the same imo. If anything I find the new models more distinctive due to the different grille.

The E500 had a 5 liter V8, then the E55 had an engine that was bigger AND supercharged, so not only was there A LOT more power, the supercharged engine delivered the power in a different way (all at once all the time) whereas the E550 now already has a twin turbo v8 and the E63 is just a scaled up version of that. the feel is almost identical, just more of it in the E63. also a good 75% of normal E classes (at least those i see) already have the 'AMG' wheels from the dealer so that even further blurs the line of distinction

i dont care what any results say, i'm quite familiar with each and the older E55 just feels way more muscley, hell my LS 400 gets off the line quicker than the biturbo E63. use launch control on the E and it's a whole different story lol but under normal conditions LS is more responsive
I disagree, simply because the MCT transmission changes the feel of the car completely to me vs. the normal E550. I can understand your point of view if I was driving the E63 AMG in comfort mode, but once you're out of that they drive very differently imo. I loved the old E55 but I welcome the sharper edge that is the current E63; it is FAR more of a dynamic drive. The E55's handling was nothing to brag about at all.
Old 11-08-15, 12:03 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I disagree, simply because the MCT transmission changes the feel of the car completely to me vs. the normal E550. I can understand your point of view if I was driving the E63 AMG in comfort mode, but once you're out of that they drive very differently imo. I loved the old E55 but I welcome the sharper edge that is the current E63; it is FAR more of a dynamic drive. The E55's handling was nothing to brag about at all.
oh the newer one is definitely a much better sorted car. the 5 speed in the E55 was nothing to brag about either, even for the time it was outdated. for a transmission thats called 'speedshift' it shifted quite slowly but there's something i like about the more blunt nature of the E55. it's more like the original amg hammer 6.0 way of more or less just sticking an unnecessarily powerful engine in an otherwise ordinary, somewhat luxurious sedan. the E63 in its stock form feels like it could handle a bunch more power than it has, almost like its holding back. of course it is... and getting a tune brings it to 710 hp 820 tq which i imagine would feel kinda scary the first time lol
Old 11-08-15, 12:20 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, not sure if I agree here. The distinction between non-AMG and AMG has stayed relatively the same imo. If anything I find the new models more distinctive due to the different grille.
the grill's a bit different but really not all that much from the standard E350 sport package. the E55 also has a different bumper (more wire mesh stuff), different, noticeably lower profile and different design wheels, rides lower and is more stanced, and the amg quad tips are more noticeable than the current exhaust tip in bumper thing they have going on. the amg one is just the standard version with a dividing strip in the middle honestly

Last edited by Stroock639; 11-08-15 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-08-15, 04:35 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

the grill's a bit different but really not all that much from the standard E350 sport package. the E55 also has a different bumper (more wire mesh stuff), different, noticeably lower profile and different design wheels, rides lower and is more stanced, and the amg quad tips are more noticeable than the current exhaust tip in bumper thing they have going on. the amg one is just the standard version with a dividing strip in the middle honestly
The current E63 has:

1) A completely different bumper as well
2) 1 bar vs. 3 in the grille
3) Dramatically lower and is definitely more stanced as well

So those are moot points.

The pictures you posted are inconsistent because you posted a pre-facelift non-sport package W211 and a sport package facelifted E350. I will agree with you that the rear is where the majority of the differences are bigger on the W211, although if we're going to post facelifted models you should be aware the W211 post-facelift sport package looked like the below (much closer to the AMG front and rear). I included the pre-facelifted W212 w/o sport package as well which had a similarly tame rear end to the non-sport pack W211.

See what happens when you mix pictures up? Pre-facelift on both the W211 and W212 yielded greater differences between the AMG and non-AMG models.
Old 11-08-15, 09:20 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

The pictures you posted are inconsistent because you posted a pre-facelift non-sport package W211 and a sport package facelifted E350. I will agree with you that the rear is where the majority of the differences are bigger on the W211, although if we're going to post facelifted models you should be aware the W211 post-facelift sport package looked like the below (much closer to the AMG front and rear). I included the pre-facelifted W212 w/o sport package as well which had a similarly tame rear end to the non-sport pack W211.
i think i posted exactly what i intended, two w211 from the same year and two w212 from the same year. yeah sorry if i wasn't exactly clear (i posted that after getting back from my friend's house and wasn't yet entirely sober at the time) but a good majority of the E classes i see have the sport package with the different bumpers and wheels, THAT model looks very similar to the AMG but yes you're right the non-sport package cars still look different enough from the E63.

unless i'm wrong i don't think the E320 had an option for sporty bumpers and big wheels, whereas now you can dress the cars up to look almost exactly like the AMG. it doesn't bother me all that much since we actually have the E63 and it just makes it even more sleeper.
Old 11-09-15, 03:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Aron9000

actually the w212 were rwd until 2013 i believe. i think last year they started doing it in 4matic only.

oh yeah right i remember reading that it was shown in that movie before it officially went on sale. i definitely don't dislike the standard E320 looks but i don't love it either. the E55 though... it added just the right amount of subtle aggression that made it so pretty...

not only was there more of a distinction between amg and non amg in the looks, but the driving experience was way different as well. the E500 had a 5 liter V8, then the E55 had an engine that was bigger AND supercharged, so not only was there A LOT more power, the supercharged engine delivered the power in a different way (all at once all the time) whereas the E550 now already has a twin turbo v8 and the E63 is just a scaled up version of that. the feel is almost identical, just more of it in the E63. also a good 75% of normal E classes (at least those i see) already have the 'AMG' wheels from the dealer so that even further blurs the line of distinction

for w212, they don't have e550 anymore so ttv8 in the e class only means it's the e63. the ttv8 for both e550 and e63 era was only from 12 to 13. for 10-11 it was 5.5v8 vs 6.2v8.

i don't know what you mean by "off the line" but i don't see how a ls400 can be quicker off the line compared to ttv8 e63. those cars are monsters. the ls400 is not that fast by any of today's metric

if you are talking about throttle response that's a different story
Old 11-09-15, 04:29 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

now those are some REAL Benz, ain't like the CLA, GLA or whatever those aren't built in Germany
Old 11-09-15, 07:34 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
for w212, they don't have e550 anymore so ttv8 in the e class only means it's the e63. the ttv8 for both e550 and e63 era was only from 12 to 13. for 10-11 it was 5.5v8 vs 6.2v8.

i don't know what you mean by "off the line" but i don't see how a ls400 can be quicker off the line compared to ttv8 e63. those cars are monsters. the ls400 is not that fast by any of today's metric

if you are talking about throttle response that's a different story
the tt V8 is still alive in the E550 coupe, CLS, S, etc... but yes as of now the highest non amg e sedan is the E400.

and that's why i included the thing about launch control, using it the E definitely is quicker than the LS. i'm talking about the first maybe 5 mph from just stomping on the gas. i think it might just be the 4matic in the E63 that got introduced in 2014 which makes it bog off the line.

there's even a thread on MB world about it
http://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/5...-annoying.html

i've never driven a RWD E63 but the AWD version doesn't have the same jumpy response as the LS. however any advantage the LS might have for the first 0.5 second is VERY quickly lost hahaha... when you drive the E you get the sense that it's holding back in first gear from software stuff they got in there
Old 11-10-15, 04:46 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
now those are some REAL Benz, ain't like the CLA, GLA or whatever those aren't built in Germany
The built-in-Austria G-Wagen would like to have a word with you.

i think it might just be the 4matic in the E63 that got introduced in 2014 which makes it bog off the line.
No, it's 100% not the AWD system and all in the throttle programming. A lot of manufacturers are doing this- you can look up "BMW throttle lag" and get back tons of results as well. People are always claiming they narrowly avoided an accident.
Old 11-10-15, 10:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

The built-in-Austria G-Wagen would like to have a word with you.

No, it's 100% not the AWD system and all in the throttle programming. A lot of manufacturers are doing this- you can look up "BMW throttle lag" and get back tons of results as well. People are always claiming they narrowly avoided an accident.
we are in total agreement
Old 11-10-15, 11:58 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

yes you're absolutely right, but regardless of the reason the car feels somewhat sluggish over the first 10 mph. apparently getting a tune mitigates this to some degree but it'll never be a GTR. even without turbos you'd expect a 5.5 liter V8 to be a bit more forceful when you step on it from a dig

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class