Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Says No To Chinese Manufacturing On Quality Grounds

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-15, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I think spwolf may have a point...this could have political undertones somewhere. Buick, for example, has been a huge success in China, and has no problems both building and selling vehicles there.
Old 11-06-15, 04:03 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would stop buying Lexus vehicles all together if they started making them in China. I want my Lexus from Japan built by a Japanese guy. LOL
same haha. i love that my LS was an all japanese effort made in japan by japanese people with japanese sourced parts. i think i've yet to come across a single made in china on my LS so far.
Old 11-06-15, 04:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
I'd prefer that too lolol, but a good portion of Lexus cars are built in the US at the moment too. I think some of the RX and ES models.
As someone mentioned above, the ES just started some production in the States. As for the RX, the Canadian Cambridge plant which manufactures RX's (2T2 VIN) has received 14 Plant Quality awards which is more than any other automotive manufacturer in the Americas
Old 11-06-15, 04:54 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
couldn't have anything to do with other major japan/china disputes, huh?
I don't think that is the reason. They are planning on building another Toyota factory in China in 2018.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...mexico-reports
Old 11-06-15, 05:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

thanks. i guess it is what it is then... toyota figures labor there's good enough for toyotas but not lexus.
Old 11-06-15, 06:13 PM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Meanwhile Cadillac is manufacturing cars to be shipped to the US.
You need a scorecard to determine which companies are American, Japanese or Chinese not to mention German, Canadian and so on.
Old 11-06-15, 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

china builds almost anything and everything so they certainly could build lexus vehicles to world standards.
Old 11-06-15, 09:51 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
thanks. i guess it is what it is then... toyota figures labor there's good enough for toyotas but not lexus.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 11-06-15, 10:17 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think in general, the chinese have a bad reputation from everything we hear about them, be it blatantly copying others, taking short cuts (or worse, risking lives) to make more profit, etc.

On the flip side, the japanese culture is super proud and they are almost seen like the stereotypical german traits of over engineering, never taking short cuts, respect for work and family.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it and it simply isn't cost effective to do so at the moment
Your absolutely right on point. They even go so far as to taint babies milk in order to spike the protien count on inspections. This lead to hundreds of babies killed. Of course the plant owner was found hanging not to long afterwards expressing regret in "his" suicide note. Then you had all the dog food laced with antifreeze that killed scores of pets. The list never ends.

They take little pride in the mfg of goods. On the family front though they LOVE kids, and take pride in family. Solid HARD working people just wouldn't trust them to make ANYTHING for me.
Old 11-06-15, 11:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

because japan never has ethical problems or corruption...

not bashing japan, but they're no saint - recent sampling:

Toyo Tire & Rubber Co. said an internal probe found one unit manipulated quality testing data for rubber products supplied to 18 customers over a decade.

Asahi Kasei Corp. then said one of its units had falsified data for foundation piles in condominiums, after one building had sagged sideways.

Matsumotokiyoshi Holdings Co., a Japanese drugstore chain, said it found likely accounting irregularities and is investigating the president of one unit it suspects inflated inventories to hide past losses.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.Vj2rwaIkUpY
Old 11-07-15, 10:51 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Your absolutely right on point. They even go so far as to taint babies milk in order to spike the protien count on inspections. This lead to hundreds of babies killed. Of course the plant owner was found hanging not to long afterwards expressing regret in "his" suicide note. Then you had all the dog food laced with antifreeze that killed scores of pets. The list never ends.

They take little pride in the mfg of goods. On the family front though they LOVE kids, and take pride in family. Solid HARD working people just wouldn't trust them to make ANYTHING for me.
haha, so where do you buy anything if you dont trust them to make anything for you?
Old 11-07-15, 11:55 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

because japan never has ethical problems or corruption...

not bashing japan, but they're no saint - recent sampling:

Toyo Tire & Rubber Co. said an internal probe found one unit manipulated quality testing data for rubber products supplied to 18 customers over a decade.

Asahi Kasei Corp. then said one of its units had falsified data for foundation piles in condominiums, after one building had sagged sideways.

Matsumotokiyoshi Holdings Co., a Japanese drugstore chain, said it found likely accounting irregularities and is investigating the president of one unit it suspects inflated inventories to hide past losses.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.Vj2rwaIkUpY

Hopefully I'm not talking sideways here, but society in Japan is a lot harder on people who cheat or fail miserably. The level of personal shame and shame brought upon their family is enough for most people in that country to not cheat the system, as you are ostracized by society if you are caught. A CEO like Carly Fiorina would never be allowed into a corporate leadership position again(or god forbid into a serious presidential candidate) after she left HP in such a mess if this were Japan.

As for Lexus not opening a factory in China, I'd say the supplier chain quality is one valid reason. Toyota has a good bit of control over quality in their assembly plant, but I'd imagine it is a daily battle with their suppliers to get them up to their quality standards in a place like China.

I'm speaking from knowing somebody who has worked in the automotive plastics industry her whole career in the US, its appalling how out of control some suppliers are in terms of not being able to meet production schedules due to the number of reject parts they are making. Its like everything has to be overnight trucked(or air shipped) just so the next supplier or the final assembly plant won't run out of parts in 8 hours.
Old 11-07-15, 12:19 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

haha, so where do you buy anything if you dont trust them to make anything for you?

Move off the grid and make everything by hand
Old 11-07-15, 03:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Hopefully I'm not talking sideways here, but society in Japan is a lot harder on people who cheat or fail miserably. The level of personal shame and shame brought upon their family is enough for most people in that country to not cheat the system, as you are ostracized by society if you are caught. A CEO like Carly Fiorina would never be allowed into a corporate leadership position again(or god forbid into a serious presidential candidate) after she left HP in such a mess if this were Japan.
except carly didn't fail and hp still exists. her actions were controversial, but hp was in a WORLD of hurt when she took the job.

also, it's very hypothetical as i doubt there's hardly any female ceo's in japan.
Old 11-07-15, 03:28 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

3 D printing baby!
(Daaaaammit. The machine is made in China!)

Quick Reply: Lexus Says No To Chinese Manufacturing On Quality Grounds