Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Says No To Chinese Manufacturing On Quality Grounds

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-15, 09:35 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Says No To Chinese Manufacturing On Quality Grounds

Interesting

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/625...uality-grounds
Old 11-06-15, 09:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It's good that are not doing it, but eventually Lexus will manufacture in China, at least for Chinese market models.
Old 11-06-15, 10:08 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would stop buying Lexus vehicles all together if they started making them in China. I want my Lexus from Japan built by a Japanese guy. LOL
Old 11-06-15, 10:26 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

"Measuring quality on 'reported problems per 100 vehicles', J.D. Power’s results showed an industry average of 105 problems per 100 vehicles in China, compared with 112 problems per 100 vehicles in the US."

So Chinese has better built quality than USA....lol
Old 11-06-15, 10:39 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

hmm, I wonder what risks they found that would have such a negative impact they would not want to build there? I'm thinking proper employee training and possibly a language barrier-things might get lost in translation
Old 11-06-15, 10:43 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would stop buying Lexus vehicles all together if they started making them in China. I want my Lexus from Japan built by a Japanese guy. LOL

I'd prefer that too lolol, but a good portion of Lexus cars are built in the US at the moment too. I think some of the RX and ES models.
Old 11-06-15, 10:45 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
I'd prefer that too lolol, but a good portion of Lexus cars are built in the US at the moment too. I think some of the RX and ES models.
The ES only just started production in the US last month. the RX has been produced in Canada
Old 11-06-15, 10:46 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
The ES only just started production in the US last month. the RX has been produced in Canada

hmm I must have misread
Old 11-06-15, 10:50 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
hmm, I wonder what risks they found that would have such a negative impact they would not want to build there? I'm thinking proper employee training and possibly a language barrier-things might get lost in translation
I think in general, the chinese have a bad reputation from everything we hear about them, be it blatantly copying others, taking short cuts (or worse, risking lives) to make more profit, etc.

On the flip side, the japanese culture is super proud and they are almost seen like the stereotypical german traits of over engineering, never taking short cuts, respect for work and family.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it and it simply isn't cost effective to do so at the moment
Old 11-06-15, 10:53 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

As we've discussed before on this forum, TMC appears concerned with two aspects as far as production: 1) actual Toyota assembly line / worker quality and 2) parts supplier quality. So TMC's reluctance to assemble in China could be related to either/or, or both. Remember that (as far as Lexus) TMC is on the record stating that their reluctance to move production to Canada and now the US was initially due to 2) rather than 1).

Originally Posted by grabber2
"Measuring quality on 'reported problems per 100 vehicles', J.D. Power’s results showed an industry average of 105 problems per 100 vehicles in China, compared with 112 problems per 100 vehicles in the US."

Sure - vehicles that happen to be sold in China vs sold in the US. That has nothing to do with production quality. The 105pp100 includes international vehicles produced outside of China. Domestic Chinese vehicles are much worse, at 120pp100. More relevant would be the IQ for all vehicles produced in China, but I don't know if they break down stats for that.

Last edited by gengar; 11-06-15 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-06-15, 10:59 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think in general, the chinese have a bad reputation from everything we hear about them, be it blatantly copying others, taking short cuts (or worse, risking lives) to make more profit, etc.

On the flip side, the japanese culture is super proud and they are almost seen like the stereotypical german traits of over engineering, never taking short cuts, respect for work and family.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it and it simply isn't cost effective to do so at the moment

Japanese culture definitely plays a role in any business transaction. Not sure how big of role it would take in this though.
Old 11-06-15, 11:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2

well let me lol back - these are user reported "problems". I will tell you right now with 100% certainty that Chinese users expect much less than American or Western European users.

Toyota will produce over 1 million cars in China this year. I think they are well aware of realities of Chinese production and quality. And simply they dont have to deal with the hassle of it. As by far the most profitable automaker, they dont have to produce cars in China to be profitable, they dont have to make those decisions that will impact what they stand for.
Old 11-06-15, 12:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
So then, what about U.S. or Canadian-built Lexus vehicles.....would you have one of those? The ES, for example, has just started production in the Toyota plant at Georgetown, KY.
Old 11-06-15, 02:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

couldn't have anything to do with other major japan/china disputes, huh?
Old 11-06-15, 02:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
couldn't have anything to do with other major japan/china disputes, huh?
i dont get it... they make 1.1m Toyota's in China, but they wont make Lexus (will sell them) and make more money because of Chinese-Japanese island dispute? Which is rather South Asia/USA vs China dispute.

Quick Reply: Lexus Says No To Chinese Manufacturing On Quality Grounds