Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Annual Holiday Full-Review: 2016 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 04:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks Marshall. Sounds like you enjoyed reviewing the RX. Appreciate all the areas you covered, including a little history on the introduction of the RX back in 1998. Remember that. And I like the list of plusses and minuses. It was an informational, well balanced summary. An enjoyable read too.

Regarding the F-sport only being available in AWD, it's noted on page 10 of the 2016 RX450h Product Information file and page 9 of the 2016 RX350 Product Information file. Hopefully Lexus will fix the error on their website. BTW, there's no mention of this in 2016 RX brochure.

Happy holidays to you too!
Old 11-15-15, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Thanks Marshall.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Sounds like you enjoyed reviewing the RX.
There was a lot of interest in this new RX, I had some review-requests for it, and it was about time for the Holiday review I do each year in November or December. So, I figured the RX would be the natural choice.

Reviewing vehicles is a long-ingrained part of my life. Been doing it since high school (and that was a long time ago LOL) For several reasons, I never wanted to be part of the formal auto press, though, as I don't care for the way much of it operates, and some of the auto journalists can be arrogant. I casually know John Davis, though, of the MotorWeek TV program (he's a very nice guy...always liked him), and a number of my comments have been printed in Autoweek magazine. But, in general, I'm not part of the auto press.....don't care to be.

Appreciate all the areas you covered, including a little history on the introduction of the RX back in 1998. Remember that.
The OVERVIEW part is a history of the vehicle (and sometimes that of its manufacturer) that I typically include in all full-reviews....it may or may not be part of a condensed or partial-review. Also usually included in that part is the present vehicle's trim models, drivetrain options, prices, etc....for that applicable model-year.

If, for any reason, I can't do a formal test-drive, which could happen from any one of several reasons (vehicle already sold, vehicle inside of showroom and can't be driven, vehicle has mechanical or electrical problems, not enough of the vehicles are available, dealer forbids it or their insurance won't allow it, etc.....), or the allowable test-drive is not long enough for a reasonably accurate on-the-road evaluation, I'll do what is called a static-review. That means everything else on the car but the test-drive itself. Recently, I had a situation like that with the new 2016 Mazda Miata...I wanted to test-drive a 6-speed manual, but no unsold ones were available, so I had to settle for a static-review of an (available) automatic. I'll test-drive the manual when one is available.

And I like the list of plusses and minuses. It was an informational, well balanced summary. An enjoyable read too.
Thanks. The PLUS / MINUS lists, while still done in my own style and evaluation, is something that I more or less took from the way both Consumer Reports and some enthusiast magazines do their + / - columns, So, to be honest, I can't take total credit for it.

As for the rest of it, I'm a firm believer, especially in a full-review, in covering the whole vehicle carefully and completely from bumper to bumper, stem-to-stern. Those who purchase a new vehicle today, in the American market, are going to fork out anywhere from about 13-14K to well up in triple-digit pricing....a large chunk of most people's incomes. IMO, they deserve to know what they are getting. Of course, my reviews are not for everyone. For those who want track or performance data, with 0-60, skidpad, G-cornering, panic-braking figures, etc....there are plenty of other sources which provide that....including some right here on the forum My reviews. in general, will tell you what to expect in general everyday suburban driving.

Regarding the F-sport only being available in AWD, it's noted on page 10 of the 2016 RX450h Product Information file and page 9 of the 2016 RX350 Product Information file. Hopefully Lexus will fix the error on their website. BTW, there's no mention of this in 2016 RX brochure.
Yes...that's not the only error I've ever seen on manufacture websites. When I was reviewing the Kia Sedona minivan, for example, Kia had forgotten to include, on its website, the specs on temporary spare-tire and/or Fix-a-Flat compressed-air bottles for several of its new vehicles (but not for others) We found that the web-site was wrong when a current owner of a new Sedona actually had something different on his vehicle from what I was either reporting or remember seeing on the vehicle I reviewed.

Happy holidays to you too!
Thanks. Though probably not full-reviews, I might do some other write-ups between now and the end of the year. (got a close friend, for example, interested in a Ford Escape). And, off course, at the D.C. auto show in January, Ford and Lincoln sign people up for pre-paid Mastercards for local test-drives.....needless to say, I take them up on it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-15-15 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-15-15, 11:12 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Questions about the leather color. Anybody know if the color red shows stains more easily than other? What leather would one avoid if say you had kids. White obvious but on this RX?
Old 11-15-15, 11:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Requesting a new A4 test when we get them next Spring. Thank you.
Old 11-16-15, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Requesting a new A4 test when we get them next Spring. Thank you.
OK.....I'll add it to the list. Before then, let me know your engine / transmission preference (if possible). Before then, I'll also look at the new A4/S4 at the late-January D.C. Auto Show, if Audi brings them there.

In the meantime, Road & Track did a preliminary test and write-up in the January 2016 issue (it is in the paper copy, but not on the site's web site yet). Diesel availability will depend, of course, partly on how this current VW/Audi diesel scandal unfolds. A conventional manual transmission may (?) also be available with some engines.
Old 11-16-15, 08:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK.....I'll add it to the list. Before then, let me know your engine / transmission preference (if possible). Before then, I'll also look at the new A4/S4 at the late-January D.C. Auto Show, if Audi brings them there.

In the meantime, Road & Track did a preliminary test and write-up in the January 2016 issue (it is in the paper copy, but not on the site's web site yet). Diesel availability will depend, of course, partly on how this current VW/Audi diesel scandal unfolds. A conventional manual transmission may (?) also be available with some engines.
Given that the A3/S3 doesn't offer a manual transmission, I'm expecting the same from the new A4. I'm also expecting the diesel models to be a bit delayed in their introduction....
Old 11-16-15, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Given that the A3/S3 doesn't offer a manual transmission, I'm expecting the same from the new A4.
Road and Track says it will be coming late next year. It's on page 97 of the January 2016 issue, in the "First Drive" article for the new A4.........but that article is not on their web site yet, so I can't post it.
Old 11-17-15, 05:31 PM
Samour
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent review. We got the autumn shimmer with noble brown AWD. on Sunday after a week's wait though. also got the premium package with heated and ventilated seats . still getting used to the huge 12.3 navigation screen. the quality is excellent. I find the mouse to be too fast though.
Old 11-17-15, 05:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Samour
Excellent review. We got the autumn shimmer with noble brown AWD. on Sunday after a week's wait though. also got the premium package with heated and ventilated seats . still getting used to the huge 12.3 navigation screen. the quality is excellent. I find the mouse to be too fast though.
Go To MENU > SETUP > GENERAL > FEEDBACK FORCE and adjust accordingly to your preference
Old 11-17-15, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Samour
Thanks. And Congratulations on both your new purchase and on joining CL. The Autumn is one of three colors I'd choose if I was buying one.......along with the Matador Red and White Pearl. (the other colors are too much for funeral homes LOL).

Enjoy your new RX. I regularly do vehicle-reviews in the Car Chat forum...both of Lexus products and of other brands.
Old 11-17-15, 09:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I finally had a chance to go through this review, most of it is agreeable.

1. I agree that a full size spare should be included, Land Cruiser/LX, Tundra, LS460, GS and Tacoma all have them. The LX and LS have full size matching rims as well. Any luxury car should have a full size as it really messes up a lot g trip as the replacement tire usually can't go very fast or far. (I have now changed my tune on the spars)

2. I don't think the lack of a 3 row is an issue. The RX always had 5 seats and its nice to see Lexus focus on a car with 2 rows instead of trying to do to much. I always liked the fact that 4Runner could be had with 5 seats instead of 7, I like the idea that the RX is clearly defined in its roll.

3. The rear hatch sensor is fine in either the Ford or the Lexus. I understand the idea that your hands could be full, but I don't like the idea of having to stand on one leg either, especially in slippery weather. Why cant they come up with a better compromise, perhaps something where you stand in front of the parking sensor with a key in your pocket would be ideal.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-17-15 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 10:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I don't have an issue with the RX having only 2 rows. But, Lexus needs a 3 row solution.
Old 11-17-15, 10:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

1. I agree that a full size spare should be included, Land Cruiser/LX, Tundra, LS460, GS and Tacoma all have them. The LX and LS have full size matching rims as well. Any luxury car should have a full size as it really messes up a lot g trip as the replacement tire usually can't go very fast or far. (I have now changed my tune on the spars)
Although the last-geneation Toyota Avalon offered one, the only current sedan I've seen with a real spare is the limited-production Chevy SS, an Australian Holden design.....and even that is part of an expensive $950 option package.

I don't think the lack of a 3 row is an issue. The RX always had 5 seats and its nice to see Lexus focus on a car with 2 rows instead of trying to do to much.
When I mentioned it, though, I wasn't necessarily speaking of you or me, but of those (many) owners and prospective owners who have expressed a desire for one. (You'll see that desire, not only in CL, but in other Lexus forums as well). Yet, it still manages to sell in large numbers even without the 3rd seat.

3. The rear hatch sensor is fine in either the Ford or the Lexus. I understand the idea that your hands could be full, but I don't like the idea of having to stand on one leg either, especially in slippery weather.
Yes, a legitimate concern....but one should have reasonably grippy shoes or boots on in bad weather.

Why cant they come up with a better compromise, perhaps something where you stand in front of the parking sensor with a key in your pocket would be ideal.
Fine in theory, but what if John Q. Pervert is also standing nearby or in front of the sensor while you have the key fob in your pocket? The sensor only knows that a human being and the key fob is there...not which human being, or who is holding the key fob.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-17-15 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 11:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

@ mmarshall, the LS460 and GS are both sedans and both come with full size spares.

As for third row, I get that there are people who want it, but satisfaction and idea that Lexus is making a dedicated 5 seater is nice IMO. I would bet the Lexus research and feedback points to better sales with the 5 seat design than the size and GVWR increase of a 7 seater. Toyota makes a 7 seat Highlander so I'm sure they could.

But IMO, the RX like the MKX has a really nice intitmate size that Lexus I'm sure knows appeals better.
Old 11-17-15, 11:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
@ mmarshall, the LS460 and GS are both sedans and both come with full size spares.
I'll take your word for it.....I haven't formally reviewed the latest ones, though I did the GS350 a couple of years ago.

As for third row, I get that there are people who want it, but satisfaction and idea that Lexus is making a dedicated 5 seater is nice IMO. I would bet the Lexus research and feedback points to better sales with the 5 seat design than the size and GVWR increase of a 7 seater. Toyota makes a 7 seat Highlander so I'm sure they could.
I agree that the Highlander is a good choice from a practical standpoint......but it doesn't have enough panache for some people.

But IMO, the RX like the MKX has a really nice intitmate size that Lexus I'm sure knows appeals better.
I think one difference, though, between the RX and MKX is that the RX is bought more by families with kids......where the MKX is bought more by older, empty-nesters whose kids have long since moved out. Lincoln's average buyer-age is one of the oldest in the industry.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-17-15 at 11:12 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Annual Holiday Full-Review: 2016 Lexus RX