Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Annual Holiday Full-Review: 2016 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 11:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree that the barn door is out of place and some trim pieces are questionable. But, using a GX for its intended purposes is still very good. A robust ladder frame, real mechanical 4WD (not the Rav 4 electronic type), lo range, V8, and Torsen differential are all items worth having. A good tow capacity that will not destroy the vehicle long term should be mentioned as well.
Very few people use their GX for any kind of offroad activity or even towing.
Old 12-28-15, 12:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Very few people use their GX for any kind of offroad activity or even towing.
Even if people are not using their GX for off roading (which I never mentioned) or for towing, a GX still has some pretty good attributes that make it highly desirable.
Do you yourself currently own a SUV or Cross over?

I wouldn't have a Toyota BOF vehicle as a daily driver, but it makes a fine secondary vehicle. It provides a lot more utility than a RX.
Old 12-28-15, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

It depends on what the utility is that you need. For me it doesn't offer any utility at all.
Old 12-28-15, 01:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Just read your review and was disappointed in your reference to no 3rd row at least three times. Lexus came out before your review and stated the 4RX would be a 2 row, 5 passenger crossover. They said it would be near impossible to accommodate 3rd row in the 4RX and were looking at a new platform. So I found it odd you belabored the point. I'm glad that Lexus did not bastardize the RX trying to squeeze a child's jump seat into it. They have a winning formula that has worked since the it first came out.

You should amend your review to include the latest paragraph you just posted. It seems you knew all along.
If you think there are too many 3rd-row references already, then why should I add another one? Besides, never mind me.....Lexus is getting thousands (if not millions) of comments about that issue from all over the Internet, in many different car-forums and blogs. One person (me) certainly isn't going to make any difference.
Old 12-28-15, 05:17 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had station wagons and SUV's with third-row seating - a Chevy Caprice with a rear-facing third seat that barely accommodated two very small teens, and a Ford Ranch Wagon that had facing "third row" seats that if used by two adults, had the rear bumper almost dragging the ground and the suspension bottoming out on every tar seam. I've had vehicles like this, large and mid-sized for both work and personal use for over 40 years, and I've learned that while utility vehicles can be excellent tourers, particularly with large loads of luggage for a couple of weeks or months on the trail, they're not a single solution for everyone. For me, driving an SUV years before they became popular taught me a few lessons about their practicality.

OK, they are immensely utilitarian, but as a grocery-getter or a daily commuter, they're deep into overkill territory. Parking is probably going to be limited to the far reaches of the lot as many 4WD vehicles have turning circles measured in yards rather than feet. (This was a distinct problem on the 1GenRX, nicely corrected on the 2Gen and onward.) Their size, weight, and a the aerodynamic qualities of a barn conspire to make them thirsty. That's to be expected, and there isn't much of any way to engineer around it; a big, bluff truck is going to a require a big engine, and you have to keep all those ponies fed. The RX does an excellent job as a mid-size, coming in at around 24-26 mpg on the highway, considering a Suburban comes in at about 14-16 in the real world, and if you're towing something rather large, figure slightly over half that. The optional Chevy 40 gallon tank should be considered a mandatory option, but it's fiberglass, so the separate skid plate option should be considered mandatory as well.

Truck-based SUV's have another seating problem in that putting a third row on that high load floor means a removable seat on the floor, meaning that your butt is about three inches above the floor and your view forward includes a couple of knees. If you opt for a more modern vehicle with seats that fold into the floor, your feet will be in a well. Good luck trying to get in an out of that row gracefully . . . if at all. What may be worse, there isn't much room for that big gas tank, so the spare is either going to have to reside in the cabin with you, alongside that third row seat, or it's going to hang out back where it's going to be a real struggle to remove and replace without a hoist. While we're considering mandatory options, consider a gym membership if you're going to need to get at that spare.

I found that over the years I could count on my fingers the times I used that third row, two of which were to carry an injured person in the rear seat with the middle row folded to allow my passenger to lie relatively flat. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't need that third row as badly as you might think. Then, if you use that third row, your luggage space behind it is suitable for maybe a couple of overnight bags. A tool box will fit, but not a decent ice chest. There just isn't any space left for much luggage after installing that extra row of seats.

Last edited by Lil4X; 12-28-15 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-28-15, 06:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I've had station wagons and SUV's with third-row seating - a Chevy Caprice with a rear-facing third seat that barely accommodated two very small teens, and a Ford Ranch Wagon that had facing "third row" seats that if used by two adults, had the rear bumper almost dragging the ground and the suspension bottoming out on every tar seam. I've had vehicles like this, large and mid-sized for both work and personal use for over 40 years, and I've learned that while utility vehicles can be excellent tourers, particularly with large loads of luggage for a couple of weeks or months on the trail, they're not a single solution for everyone. For me, driving an SUV years before they became popular taught me a few lessons about their practicality.

OK, they are immensely utilitarian, but as a grocery-getter or a daily commuter, they're deep into overkill territory. Parking is probably going to be limited to the far reaches of the lot as many 4WD vehicles have turning circles measured in yards rather than feet. (This was a distinct problem on the 1GenRX, nicely corrected on the 2Gen and onward.) Their size, weight, and a the aerodynamic qualities of a barn conspire to make them thirsty. That's to be expected, and there isn't much of any way to engineer around it; a big, bluff truck is going to a require a big engine, and you have to keep all those ponies fed. The RX does an excellent job as a mid-size, coming in at around 24-26 mpg on the highway, considering a Suburban comes in at about 14-16 in the real world, and if you're towing something rather large, figure slightly over half that. The optional Chevy 40 gallon tank should be considered a mandatory option, but it's fiberglass, so the separate skid plate option should be considered mandatory as well.

Truck-based SUV's have another seating problem in that putting a third row on that high load floor means a removable seat on the floor, meaning that your butt is about three inches above the floor and your view forward includes a couple of knees. If you opt for a more modern vehicle with seats that fold into the floor, your feet will be in a well. Good luck trying to get in an out of that row gracefully . . . if at all. What may be worse, there isn't much room for that big gas tank, so the spare is either going to have to reside in the cabin with you, alongside that third row seat, or it's going to hang out back where it's going to be a real struggle to remove and replace without a hoist. While we're considering mandatory options, consider a gym membership if you're going to need to get at that spare.

I found that over the years I could count on my fingers the times I used that third row, two of which were to carry an injured person in the rear seat with the middle row folded to allow my passenger to lie relatively flat. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't need that third row as badly as you might think. Then, if you use that third row, your luggage space behind it is suitable for maybe a couple of overnight bags. A tool box will fit, but not a decent ice chest. There just isn't any space left for much luggage after installing that extra row of seats.
Good points.

Over the long haul, I think a GX/LX/Sequoia are going to better long distance highway cruisers than a RX. The new RX models do have AVS, but not the last gen model and neither does most mid size SUVs.

The Sequoia and the rear 3rd seating and ***** of the rig plus the AVS, second row captains chairs, a big V8, rear window shades, IRS is probably the best highway SUV that Toyota currently offers.

An LX570 or a Land Cruiser would be fun to drive across America too.

You mentioned something about turning radius, well the LX/LC have something called a variable gear steering that shortens the turning circle for parking and such. Land Cruiser has a 38 foot turn while the Corolla has a 37.8 foot one.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-28-15 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-28-15, 06:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

All of that is well and good, but basically every manufacturer is selling three row crossovers with success, the market demands what it demands.

For the forseeable future I need 3 rows. Id like to buy a Lexus, but I can't. The GX And LX aren't viable alternatives for my needs. I need a vehicle like the Infiniti QX60. Lots of other people out there like me Lexus is missing.
Old 12-28-15, 06:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you think there are too many 3rd-row references already, then why should I add another one? Besides, never mind me.....Lexus is getting thousands (if not millions) of comments about that issue from all over the Internet, in many different car-forums and blogs. One person (me) certainly isn't going to make any difference.
I have no doubt that a 3 row Lexus cross over would sell well, I just think the need is a little bit overblown.
Old 12-28-15, 06:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
All of that is well and good, but basically every manufacturer is selling three row crossovers with success, the market demands what it demands.

For the forseeable future I need 3 rows. Id like to buy a Lexus, but I can't. The GX And LX aren't viable alternatives for my needs. I need a vehicle like the Infiniti QX60. Lots of other people out there like me Lexus is missing.
Cant win them all. I am sure TX is around the corner and I am also sure that their decision to keep RX 2 row is better for owners that dont need 3 rows.
Old 12-28-15, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Good write-up as usual, Bob. While you do have a point about adding weight and people sitting back there, a (much) more likely reason the rear end of your Ford Ranch Wagon was dragging its butt was because of the notoriously soft, Cream-of-Wheat suspension/shocks that full-size Fords of that era (and some big GM cars) were notorious for (I had a big 125-inch wheelbase Buick with a worn suspension that would scrape its exhaust tip every time I pulled out of my driveway LOL). On top of that, the older they got, the more those old coil springs would sag, simply from wear and tear on them. In general, though, at the cost of a somewhat firmer and noisier ride, you didn't have to put up with that from the big wagons that Plymouth, Dodge, and DeSoto put out at that time, because of their firmer and more durable longitudinal torsion-bar front and leaf-rear suspensions. You felt (and heard) more bumps and road noise, but handling was also less fuss, and the rear ends tended to clear the ground more, even with weight in them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-15 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-28-15, 06:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have no doubt that a 3 row Lexus cross over would sell well, I just think the need is a little bit overblown.
Tell that to the dealers. That's the #1 thing they ask for.