Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

LOL, thats a good one.

Yeah I don't care for Toyota's marketing plan of late.
Old 11-15-15, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Diesels haven't shown that they have considerable desirability in the US. Europeans are much more fuel conscious than Americans, and there is still a stigma in the US about diesels.
After this VW fiasco, the future of automotive (non-truck) diesels themselves may be questionable in the American market....though perhaps less so in Europe, where there is more acceptance.

Yet, the few people I know here in the U.S. who have owned small VW TDI diesels have just loved them. They get up to 60 MPG on the road with less complexity under the hood than a typical hybrid. Even Toyota itself offers diesels in Europe that they do not here.
Old 11-15-15, 06:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?

Modern diesels are great, they just don't seem to want to catch on in the US. You're right the VW fiasco isn't going to help.
Old 11-15-15, 10:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by doobay
If Toyota brought back diesel trucks and some diesel cars I think it would definitely sell and appeal to gas saving North Americans.
No they would not sell, North America is set up for cheap, discounted vehicles that sell for as low a price as you can get and the fuel infrastructure is also set up for gas.

There is some market for diesel but not a lot. Toyota will not get involved with diesel as it just way too expensive to do for NA standards. Add in the higher price increase, lack of fuel pumps as gas stations, different driving feel, I can't see it working.

As for a Toyota diesel in a truck, the 5.7 is a much superior engine that the 4.5 diesel.
Old 11-16-15, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

As for a Toyota diesel in a truck, the 5.7 is a much superior engine that the 4.5 diesel.

For the Tundra, yes. But a big diesel 5.7L V8 would probably be too much weight for the Tacoma's front end. And, converting gas engines to diesel (if that's the case) has to be done correctly. GM tried converting their 5.7L, and the result was one of the worst engine fiascos in automotive history.
Old 11-16-15, 07:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Can you give me an example of what you mean?
Sure.

On the IS, you can't get memory seats on an F Sport. If you want memory seats, you have to get the Luxury package. Same with leather. And they've since remedied it, but when I bought my '14, you could not get ventilated seats in an F Sport. It is, basically, not possible to get a fully loaded IS.

On the Toyota side, look at the new Tacoma. You can't get a Sport with leather or with a moonroof, which are two options I'd like to have, but those are only on the Limited model, which is not available with the long bed.

Like I said, I understand why Toyota does this, but as a consumer, it makes it difficult to actually get the configuration I would like to buy. All car manufacturers do this, but I think some are less restrictive than others.
Old 11-17-15, 05:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Pretty disappointing LS460 trunk alignment.
Attached Thumbnails How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?-tmp_17934-img_20151117_181746-903253158.jpg   How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?-tmp_17934-img_20151117_1818151284759064.jpg   How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?-tmp_17934-img_20151117_181804320217290.jpg   How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?-tmp_17934-img_20151117_181733-110700215.jpg   How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?-tmp_17934-img_20151117_1817411858876425.jpg  

Old 11-17-15, 05:25 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

what's so disappointing about the trunk alignment?
Old 11-17-15, 07:19 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

i must still be missing something. trust me, i'd love to be able to go "HA! they just don't build 'em like they used to..." and proclaim that my old car is better than the new one, but that honestly looks just fine
Old 11-17-15, 07:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its hard to tell from those pictures whether theres an alignment issue, you'd have to be there to see it in person. My particular LS460 doesn't have any alignment issues, its built just as well and the gaps are just as tight as they were in my LS400 and my LS430.

The one area where I am disappointed in the LS460 is leather quality, and thats because I have the basic leather and had the semi-aniline leather in my previous GS. The leather in the GS was considerably nicer, and in fact embarrassingly so is the nappa leather in our Kia Sedona Minivan. That would be solved by having the semi-aniline leather on the LS, but IMHO a car of this caliber should have that leather standard, and have even better leather as an upgrade. This leather is not as nice as what was in my LS430 (which was a UL with semi-aniline leather) or my LS400 (which had no leather upgrade available).

Like I said before though, Jill's just trying to get a rise out of me by posting this. If you want me to direct you to the thread where she (or he? who knows) told me I was wrong that the current LS wasn't an improvement over the LS430 in a lot of quality/interior areas, but was more of a continuation without a lot of real growth, let me know.
Old 11-17-15, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its hard to tell from those pictures whether theres an alignment issue, you'd have to be there to see it in person. My particular LS460 doesn't have any alignment issues, its built just as well and the gaps are just as tight as they were in my LS400 and my LS430.
I think SW15LS is correct on this one. Camera-lenses can sometimes distort things a little (part of my job, at one time, involved photo-interpretation). I've never seen an LS with actual gaps around the taillights like that.

Originally Posted by SW15GS
Like I said before though, Jill's just trying to get a rise out of me by posting this.
Jill, I think you need to explain just how these photos were taken, posted, and if that was the way they came off the camera. The bottom-center and bottom-right photos, in particular, looks like a classic case of lens-distortion. If I post something with one of my own reviews, for example (usually Google images), that turns out to be questionable or inaccurate, I'll delete or replace it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-17-15 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 08:14 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

mmarshall deleting your post, sneaky sneaky...

yeah i've sat in a new LS 460 when i was more naive than i am now and still wanted to take my car to the stealership, and the leather (and seats in general for that matter) was not as soft, or as thick.

the 98-00 400 (without the nav) though is honestly about as perfect a laid out car as i've come across. if it just had a tastefully integrated aux port, turn signals that blink 3 times when you tap the stalk, and steering wheel volume adjustment it's truly the last car anyone would ever need. well, until it snows at least lol... an iphone has all the music and navigation capabilities anyone needs, i just fire up the cassette adaptor and everything's good. great quality tape deck in that car btw lol
Old 11-17-15, 08:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
mmarshall deleting your post, sneaky sneaky...
I deleted it because the more I looked at that old commercial, the more I decided, in a judgement-call, that it had nothing to do with what you and SW15LS were saying. Those gaps in the taillights look more to me like simple camera-lens distortion (which, as an ex-cartographer, I was well-versed in) than any real problem in the car's quality-control.

But, here....just to show you there was nothing sneaky......I'll repost it for you. No problem

That's why I think that Jill also needs to either explain those photos or delete them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-17-15 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 08:55 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I deleted it because the more I looked at that old commercial, the more I decided, in a judgement-call, that it had nothing to do with what you and SW15LS were saying. Those gaps in the taillights look more to me like simple camera-lens distortion (which, as an ex-cartographer, I was well-versed in) than any real problem in the car's quality-control.

But, here....just to show you there was nothing sneaky......I'll repost it for you. No problem

That's why I think that Jill also needs to either explain those photos or delete them.
haha don't worry i'm ALWAYS down for some vintage 90s lexus commercials, but yeah i'm not sure if it really did lol. deleting it just made my 2nd post seem a bit out of context is all.

also just a note for the future, i know how perilous the internet can be and you always have to worry about someone getting offended no matter how seemingly innocent you think something is. when i say something like "sneaky sneaky" i'm just having a bit of fun, i don't mean anything by it when i say something like that. like seriously though you gotta try pretty hard to offend me lol.

also the sarcasm in NY seems to be at a higher level than elsewhere in the country haha. people elsewhere (like here at UMass where i am now) generally don't seem to realize that i'm joking as much as people from home do. i often feel i'm being taken the wrong way lol...
Old 11-17-15, 09:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The semi-aniline leather is excellent. It's just the standard leather. It's like they created a leather grade below what used to come standard and made the previously standard leather optional lol

That leather should be standard in the LS, and there should be an optional much better leather unavailable elsewhere in the lineup. Especially in a world where excellent Napa leather is available on a Kia or Chrysler Etc.

Quick Reply: How Can Toyota Make Its Vehicles "Ever-Better"?