Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln MKZ revealed - all-new 400hp/400tq V6 TT w/AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-15, 05:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

An all-new, Lincoln-exclusive 3.0-liter GTDI V6 leads available engine choices for the new Lincoln MKZ. When paired with an intelligent all-wheel-drive system, the twin-turbocharged engine produces 400 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque (2,3 )for effortless performance and refinement.

Dynamic Torque Vectoring (4), part of an available Driver's Package for MKZ with the 3.0-liter engine, enhances cornering agility without compromising ride comfort, helping drivers enjoy a smooth, seamless experience.

The new Lincoln MKZ provides a hybrid alternative as well; and a 2.0-liter GTDI, 245-horsepower2 four-cylinder engine with front-wheel drive.

3. 3.0-liter GTDI V6 engine in front-wheel drive models is limited to 350 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque.
Wow what a change for 2017:

MKZ FWD Hybrid (188*hp)
MKZ FWD 2.0T 245hp
MKZ FWD 3.0T 350hp
MKZ AWD 3.0T 400hp

vs 2016 Model:

MKZ Hybrid 2.0 188hp
MKZ 2.0T 240hp
MKZ 3.7 300hp
Old 11-18-15, 05:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Galleries:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/18/2...n-mkz-la-2015/

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2017-lincoln-mkz/
Old 11-18-15, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I prefer the pre-facelift exterior. IMHO the new front end of this doesn't flow with the sides, where the pre-facelift car was very unique this is derivative. Step backwards IMHO.

Interior is a big improvement.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, you are not wrong. The ES350 does, in fact, have a FWD transaxle. So does the Acura TLX. So does the MKZ. So do FWD Audi sedans. So does both the Volvo S60 and S80. So does the Hyundai Azera. So does the Buick LaCrosse. This idea, often pushed, that upmarket and luxury sedans have to have RWD (or, if AWD, RWD-based platforms) is nonsense.
None of the cars you listed there is a serious, tier 1 luxury car. The fact that a comparison can be made to a Buick or an Acura or a Volvo is the issue. If Lincoln wants real parity with the rest of the luxury world they need a legitimate RWD platform to build off of. Not to say everything has to be RWD, but the fact that this is FWD/transverse, and it looks like the upcoming Continental is going to be FWD/transverse, they're not going to get there. Rebadged Fords aren't going to get them there.

FWD Audis? Why do you think they don't sell many here? Why do you think they went longitudinal with their AWD instead of keeping it Transverse like EVERYBODY else? Because they understand the issue.

I agree that the ES and the RX and NX being Toyota economy transverse platforms holds Lexus back to a degree, they at least have good RWD platforms to give them parity, same with Cadillac. If Lincoln isn't serious enough to design a RWD platform for a dedicated model, then they're not really trying to achieve parity. Perhaps they aren't, and they're happy being "near luxury" along with Acura, Buick, Volvo, etc.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-18-15 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-18-15, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Interior is a big improvement.
Yeah...they've gone back to more-usable ***** and rotary-controls instead of those idiotic capacitative finger-slide sensors (I couldn't stand those). it also looks like they took some of the nicer trim-materials from the MKC and new MKX. The old MKC interior and road manners weren't impressive at all.....I thought the less-expensive Ford Fusion, done on the same platform, actually did a better job.
Old 11-18-15, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I added a response to your post above too.

They still need to do away with the push button transmission IMHO.
Old 11-18-15, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

None of the cars you listed there is a serious, tier 1 luxury car.
Correct. I agree. I wasn't stating otherwise. But the point I was making was that some people seem to think that anything upmarket from a standard mid-grade family-sedan (Camry, Accord, Fusion, etc....) has to be RWD or else it doesn't belong on the market. I disagree with that idea, and always have. But, no, if you are going to have the max in higher-speed handling, RWD/AWD is usually the way to go.

Lincoln isn't serious enough to design a RWD platform for a dedicated model, then they're not really trying to achieve parity. Perhaps they aren't, and they're happy being "near luxury" along with Acura, Buick, Volvo, etc.
Lincoln had sunk so low in the marketplace, though, that just what they have done in the last two years has brought them major improvements compared to what they were like not long ago. Right now, Lincoln, IMO, needs sales more than image....and it is worth noting that at Lexus, the two biggest sellers in the American market (ES, RX) are both from the Camrty-based, FWD/AWD platform, not RWD like the GS or LS. So, I understand where you are coming from when you say that a dedicated RWD platform is usually necessary for a true Tier 1 vehicle, but that's not the only factor involved in decision-making.
Old 11-18-15, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Correct. I agree. I wasn't stating otherwise. But the point I was making was that some people seem to think that anything upmarket from a standard mid-grade family-sedan (Camry, Accord, Fusion, etc....) has to be RWD or else it doesn't belong on the market. I disagree with that idea, and always have. But, no, if you are going to have the max in higher-speed handling, RWD/AWD is usually the way to go.
I'm not saying that any premium near-luxury sedan needs to be RWD, I'm saying that any serious luxury car that has its sights set on the big players in that segment needs to be a longditudinal/RWD style layout to be considered legitimate.

Not everybody wants to compete in that space, maybe Lincoln doesn't...but Acura, Volvo, Buick, etc aren't competitors in that space...nor do they seem to want to be which is fine.

Lincoln had sunk so low in the marketplace, though, that just what they have done in the last two years has brought them major improvements compared to what they were like not long ago. Right now, Lincoln, IMO, needs sales more than image....and it is worth noting that at Lexus, the two biggest sellers in the American market (ES, RX) are both from the Camrty-based, FWD/AWD platform, not RWD like the GS or LS. So, I understand where you are coming from when you say that a dedicated RWD platform is usually necessary for a true Tier 1 vehicle, but that's not the only factor involved in decision-making.
Lincoln has the benefit that Lexus has...they don't have to rely on their own sales to survive because they are a part of Ford.

Yes the best selling Lexus vehicles are the FWD Camry/Rav4 based vehicles, but those vehicles also hold Lexus back from truely being embraced by the market they're going after now. With that new market in sight, the ES and RX and NX while they are the sales leaders also contribute to an identity problem within Lexus. If they wanted to...they could do away with those vehicles and still survive. Not saying they're going to do that, but they could.

Lincoln is in the same situation. They don't "NEED" sales.

If you look at the market, I would say that its true powertrain layout isn't the only factor involved, but a transverse FWD layout is an absolute deal breaker when it comes to a true tier 1 luxury vehicle. Name one FWD entry that has succeeded in achieving parity among tier 1 products? There is none.
Old 11-18-15, 06:13 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

So they are still trying to find their grill identity. I dont like this one and I was actually warming to the grill of the previous MKZ. Anyways, looks like they stole the door speakers out from Mercedes's Burmeister parts bin. Also, taking words like "stop and go" and "Pre collision" in the press release straight MB
Old 11-18-15, 06:35 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

If you look at the market, I would say that its true powertrain layout isn't the only factor involved, but a transverse FWD layout is an absolute deal breaker when it comes to a true tier 1 luxury vehicle. Name one FWD entry that has succeeded in achieving parity among tier 1 products? There is none.

thank you.
Old 11-19-15, 01:12 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Exterior was never a problem with this car, yeah this one looks even better but that center stack inside is cringingly non premium and they did nothing about it. Cant wait for the day when they ran out of that bin depository.
That is exactly the case. Everyone loved the current body, especially the sleek front. But they now got rid of the sporty and evil headlights and replace them with generic Chrylser 200 units. Ugh.

And as you mentioned, the plain and dated center stack is the biggest flaw. It should have been completely revamped. Backwards move with this facelift. But at least it's confirmed, the split grille was a failed idea that never caught on. Something I said when Lincoln first picked up the feature ten years ago. Oh well.
Old 11-19-15, 03:33 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Now I see why Lexus went with full spindle grille, to stay unique. There is no way to copy the current Lexus designs, without looking like Lexus at the end.
Old 11-19-15, 05:11 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That is exactly the case. Everyone loved the current body, especially the sleek front. But they now got rid of the sporty and evil headlights and replace them with generic Chrylser 200 units. Ugh.
Everyone loved the current body? I completely disagree with that statement. Not everyone likes the "cat that ate too many marshmallows" look the current MKZ has. This facelift gives it some visual heft that is a key element of the look Lincoln is going for these days. Old MKZ:

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
And as you mentioned, the plain and dated center stack is the biggest flaw. It should have been completely revamped.
We went over this in the Mercedes GLS thread. Why do people think manufacturers have unlimited budgets that allow them to do interior overhauls for a facelift? The interior will be addressed when the new model debuts. It's incredibly expensive to redo interiors, especially when you're moving critical elements such as the HVAC system. Redoing the front clip is comparatively cheap

What's worse is you seem to have glossed over the powertrain improvements that separate this car from the Fusion.

Last edited by TangoRed; 11-19-15 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 10:02 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think they were able to merge the new face onto the current body well.

Only of the only parts of the design I dislike is the black plastic panel on the leading edge of the trunk lid that is meant to elongate the impression of the rear window, it seems tacked on, and unnecessary. Similar to that black panel they added behind the rear door on the Camry in 2015.

Old 11-19-15, 11:01 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed

We went over this in the Mercedes GLS thread. Why do people think manufacturers have unlimited budgets that allow them to do interior overhauls for a facelift? The interior will be addressed when the new model debuts. It's incredibly expensive to redo interiors, especially when you're moving critical elements such as the HVAC system. Redoing the front clip is comparatively cheap

What's worse is you seem to have glossed over the powertrain improvements that separate this car from the Fusion.
Expensive to do, but not unheard of. If Lincoln was really serious about it, they can do whatever they want to the interior. Just to name a few, the Lexus LS's huge interior change up. And on the cheaper end of the spectrum, the previous gen Mercedes C class received a completely revised interior mid cycle (granted, hvac was in the same location), even though sales were already pretty good.
Old 11-19-15, 11:37 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Expensive to do, but not unheard of. If Lincoln was really serious about it, they can do whatever they want to the interior. Just to name a few, the Lexus LS's huge interior change up. And on the cheaper end of the spectrum, the previous gen Mercedes C class received a completely revised interior mid cycle (granted, hvac was in the same location), even though sales were already pretty good.
Of course, but saying "they should've done this as well" doesn't make sense when you look at the bigger picture. You'll notice with the other examples that you listed that they didn't receive major powertrain updates as a result of the interior overhaul (and really the LS is a different situation; that was a result of an extended lifecycle).

Lincoln needed these upgraded powertrains as it was a key criticism in comparison to the Fusion. The interior has enough differentiation for now, even its still not upmarket enough. It just wouldn't make sense to invest that money when really this is just a bandaid until the next generation, where they'll have more freedom to do everything right from the start.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln MKZ revealed - all-new 400hp/400tq V6 TT w/AWD