Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln MKZ revealed - all-new 400hp/400tq V6 TT w/AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 12:24 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Better than the present model but I don't like the stitching on the seats.Might look better with different color interiors.
Old 11-19-15, 12:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Count me as somebody who really liked the pre facelift MKZ. At least it was unique.
Old 11-19-15, 12:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That is exactly the case. Everyone loved the current body, especially the sleek front. But they now got rid of the sporty and evil headlights and replace them with generic Chrylser 200 units. Ugh.
Changing the grille from the previous look is absolutely the correct thing to do for Lincoln. While the current MKS is a nice looking car and I really like it, Lincoln needs to go bolder and more distinct to capture the imaginations of those who may not consider an MKS. The fence sitters, and the people like me who don't consider the MKC/X styling good from modern contemporary standards is wjat Lincoln is after. There is a lot of marketing behind this change.

The whole point of the spindle grille for Lexus was not to convince or reinforce the Lexus brand for older legacy buyers, it was to gain new buyers who were not exposed to the brand.

I full expect the MKC and MKX to adopt this front end, the Navigator as well, even though I think the Navigator is one of the best looking SUVs out there.

Good job on Lincoln's part.
Old 11-19-15, 12:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Everyone loved the current body? I completely disagree with that statement. Not everyone likes the "cat that ate too many marshmallows" look the current MKZ has. This facelift gives it some visual heft that is a key element of the look Lincoln is going for these days. Old MKZ:

We went over this in the Mercedes GLS thread. Why do people think manufacturers have unlimited budgets that allow them to do interior overhauls for a facelift? The interior will be addressed when the new model debuts. It's incredibly expensive to redo interiors, especially when you're moving critical elements such as the HVAC system. Redoing the front clip is comparatively cheap

What's worse is you seem to have glossed over the powertrain improvements that separate this car from the Fusion.
Truthfully, the current MKS/cat looks much better than most Lexus/predator set ups.
Old 11-19-15, 12:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I understand where you are coming from when you say that a dedicated RWD platform is usually necessary for a true Tier 1 vehicle, but that's not the only factor involved in decision-making.
I am starting to soften on the whole Tier 1 debates and comments. I have started to consider that Tier 1 comments maybe a dated concept that goes back to the 80s and 90s

Lexus, one of my favourite luxury brands probably sells way more FWD models than it does does RWD in the North American marketplace. Sure they have RWD set ups, but the engines are archaic, and they are holding on to their platforms way to long. (Milking it). If you were to factor out all Lexus FWD models, I wonder if the FWD Lincolns would outsell the RWD Lexus in total.
Old 11-19-15, 01:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Exterior was never a problem with this car, yeah this one looks even better but that center stack inside is cringingly non premium and they did nothing about it. Cant wait for the day when they ran out of that bin depository.
yep, plastic crap, you cant dress that up
Old 11-19-15, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am starting to soften on the whole Tier 1 debates and comments. I have started to consider that Tier 1 comments maybe a dated concept that goes back to the 80s and 90s

Lexus, one of my favourite luxury brands probably sells way more FWD models than it does does RWD in the North American marketplace. Sure they have RWD set ups, but the engines are archaic, and they are holding on to their platforms way to long. (Milking it). If you were to factor out all Lexus FWD models, I wonder if the FWD Lincolns would outsell the RWD Lexus in total.
With some of the Lincolns, it's too early to tell. The last-generation MKX, for example, was a Ho-Hum vehicle at best (and even that may have been stretching it some). The new one is an enormous improvement in almost every way, but we'll have to wait and see if sales match that improvement. The MKC did pretty decently its first year, but had some teething and reliability issues. (which is something that Lexus usually, but not always, seems to avoid)
Old 11-19-15, 06:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Everyone loved the current body? I completely disagree with that statement. Not everyone likes the "cat that ate too many marshmallows" look the current MKZ has. This facelift gives it some visual heft that is a key element of the look Lincoln is going for these days. Old MKZ:

We went over this in the Mercedes GLS thread. Why do people think manufacturers have unlimited budgets that allow them to do interior overhauls for a facelift? The interior will be addressed when the new model debuts. It's incredibly expensive to redo interiors, especially when you're moving critical elements such as the HVAC system. Redoing the front clip is comparatively cheap

What's worse is you seem to have glossed over the powertrain improvements that separate this car from the Fusion.
Other than the cat eyes appearing like the headlights, I don't see any similarity of the two pics. The last MKZ had a very generic lower valance and air intakes, that got lost in a sea of other American cars. Cat eye headlights have always been highly regarded as sleek, sporty, and clean. Most cars or sports cars that utilize such a look have been very successful models.

The majority of the complaints I've read about this car all relate to the interior being dated and not up to luxury or near-luxury standards. That is where they should have spent their money for this facelift. And the majority of comments and articles I've read about the last model nearly all hailed the body and exterior styling as pleasant, attractive, and modern (except for the odd grille). Yet Lincoln changed it all around. So my comments here point to not properly prioritizing.

As far as updating the powertrain, I'm sure that's icing on the cake. But personally I don't think it really would have mattered, considering every driver I've seen behind the wheel of these was quite "seasoned" and in no need of drag-racing from stop light to stop light.
Old 11-19-15, 06:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Changing the grille from the previous look is absolutely the correct thing to do for Lincoln. While the current MKS is a nice looking car and I really like it, Lincoln needs to go bolder and more distinct to capture the imaginations of those who may not consider an MKS. The fence sitters, and the people like me who don't consider the MKC/X styling good from modern contemporary standards is wjat Lincoln is after. There is a lot of marketing behind this change.

The whole point of the spindle grille for Lexus was not to convince or reinforce the Lexus brand for older legacy buyers, it was to gain new buyers who were not exposed to the brand.

I full expect the MKC and MKX to adopt this front end, the Navigator as well, even though I think the Navigator is one of the best looking SUVs out there.

Good job on Lincoln's part.
I agree. I mentioned the Pontiac grille was a bad idea ten years ago and did not catch on with buyers. I'm glad to see Lincoln finally saw the light.
Old 11-19-15, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I agree. I mentioned the Pontiac grille was a bad idea ten years ago and did not catch on with buyers. I'm glad to see Lincoln finally saw the light.
The way I usually describe a number of recent Lincoln grilles (before those on their latest vehicles) is that of a grinning teen-ager showing off a new set of braces LOL.

Old 11-20-15, 08:59 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Name:  101379-Jim-Carrey-I-like-it-alot-gif-GflM.gif
Views: 39
Size:  4.97 MB
Old 11-21-15, 12:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So this is the first Ford Turbo that will not be branded EcoBoost. I thought that was kinda cool. We shall see where they go from here.
Old 11-21-15, 03:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So this is the first Ford Turbo that will not be branded EcoBoost. I thought that was kinda cool. We shall see where they go from here.
The Ecoboost name, like Hyundai, got some negative publicity not long ago for overestimating EPA mileage figures.
Old 11-21-15, 07:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

If I didn't know that, the common consumer wouldn't know that.
Old 11-21-15, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If I didn't know that, the common consumer wouldn't know that.
We had a thread on it here in Car Chat, though it was some time ago, and you might not have seen it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ix-models.html

Actually, I was off a little. It only involved one Ecoboost turbo engine.....the rest were hybrids.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln MKZ revealed - all-new 400hp/400tq V6 TT w/AWD