Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln MKZ revealed - all-new 400hp/400tq V6 TT w/AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 09:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Nice change for Lincoln. I was a bit caught off guard with this MKZ major/minor, but it makes sense with the Continental Concept. I like the front of the MKZ, but the old rear and C-pillar does not flow well the new front design. The Continental Concept is more cohesive. Now it will be really exciting in 2-3 years when the car transitions fully. As it stands we get these new generation powertrains by Lincoln to tide us over, I can live with that.

I'm curious what they might rename the MKZ to. Back to Zephyr? The Continental is returning, The Navigator is staying put. Rumor has it the Aviator will rejoin the line.
Surprised you haven't had more posts here, Hoovey. You're one of CL's biggest Ford fans.

I'm with you.....change the name back to Zephyr, now that it has a decent-looking front end to go with it. That's not a bad idea.
Old 11-24-15, 10:48 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even apart from that FWD/transverse issue, though, Volvos, in general, are simply not that popular here in the U.S., period. I never took any of the rumors seriously, though, that Volvo would leave the American market, as they are in nowhere near as bad a shape here as Mitsubishi.
Yes, but they are in the midst of refreshing their entire lineup with hopes of growing business in a major way, much like Lincoln.

What do you think of the idea for a super-luxury version of the Chrysler 300 platform as a New Yorker or Imperial (bringing back a name from the past like Lincoln did)? I modified my post above, but I don't think you saw it. The 300 uses an excellent Mercedes-derived RWD/AWD platform....but until now, it has only been used for lower-level V6 versions and stiff-riding semi-sports-sedans like the Hemi/SRT. Seems like the thought of an Imperial-type flagship, luxo-cruiser version hasn't been an option.
Marchionne has explicitly stated that Chrysler will be doing nothing of the sort and is now essentially an American Toyota.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm curious what they might rename the MKZ to. Back to Zephyr? The Continental is returning, The Navigator is staying put. Rumor has it the Aviator will rejoin the line.
An article published last month indicates that the MK names will be here for a while. We'll see.
Old 11-25-15, 07:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Marchionne has explicitly stated that Chrysler will be doing nothing of the sort and is now essentially an American Toyota.
I don't quite see where he gets his reasoning from though. Except for maybe the Charger/Challenger Hemis and SRTs, it's essentially Dodge's job to be an American Toyota, not Chrysler's. But, then, again, I don't run that corporation.

An article published last month indicates that the MK names will be here for a while. We'll see.
It's probably costing them marketing and sales. Many, both in and out of the industry, have complained about Lincoln's alphabet soup-naming, though several other upmarket auto manufacturers also use somewhat confusing letter/number patterns.
Old 11-25-15, 08:23 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any preliminary 0-60 times?
Old 11-25-15, 10:08 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't quite see where he gets his reasoning from though. Except for maybe the Charger/Challenger Hemis and SRTs, it's essentially Dodge's job to be an American Toyota, not Chrysler's. But, then, again, I don't run that corporation.
You should go take a look at their 5-year plan they published a year ago or so. They're pretty explicit with their plans for Dodge, which will be refocused as an affordable performance brand. Not the mainstream brand it currently is.