Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-17, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I saw a 2017 Regal on the road last Saturday . It's a head turner for sure. First time in a long time I looked at a Buick and thought Wow, that's really nice looking. Back in the day, I was a Buick fan having owned four of them. But GM seemed to lose its way back in the 90's. I think Mary Barra has them on the right track now.
One of the reasons GM sedan sales are down, they're no longer pushing the fleet car sales. Instead they've focused on consumer sales and it's associated higher profit margin. Yup, Mary's got them on the right track. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Buick.
Actually, the new Buick I have on order is a Lacrosse, not a Regal. The Regal is probably somewhat better-built than the Lacrosse (like the Verano, Cascada, and Encore, the Regal is a redone German Opel), but IMO is not as satisfying to drive. The Lacrosse is more of a traditional American-designed Buick....more comfort-oriented (especially with the smaller 18" wheels as opposed to the 20s), and driving it is like piloting a magic carpet.

But GM seemed to lose its way back in the 90's. I think Mary Barra has them on the right track now.
GM lost its way long before that. IMO, for some 30 years) from the early 1970s to the early 2000s, the company, like the rest of GM (with maybe the 1990-2000 Saturn S-series cars excepted) made what mechanically was junk. The 80s we're especially bad.....quality-wise, some of the worst products in the corporation's history. It's only been recently (since around the 2009 buyout/reorganization) that the corporation (and especially Buick) has really started getting its act together.

This may be unusual for a teen-ager, but I actually became a Buick fan in high school...at a time when most of my friends were into the American muscle-car scene. And, of course, I liked the muscle-cars, too (what American teen-ager of the period didn't LOL). But my first love was big American cruisers.....I had a big Buick Electra 225 in college (used.....I couldn't afford a new one), and loved it. Unfortunately, with the 1970s came an end to the superb GM products of the late 1960s....not to be seen again until the last few years.

Back in the day, I was a Buick fan having owned four of them.
That Buick's did you own? Seems like the only ones of the 1980s that anybody wants to talk about were the Grand Nationals / GNX. They were a little too sport-oriented for my tastes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-17 at 06:40 PM.