Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Small CUV

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 10:33 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus Small CUV

Not sure if this is the right place but a more restrained direction for the new design language:

Lexus Small CUV-wuypclz.png
Old 11-21-15, 11:27 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I think there was a recent article stating that Lexus won't go any smaller than the NX
Old 11-21-15, 11:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Not sure if this is the right place but a more restrained direction for the new design language:
looks pretty good!

I am sure that within 5 years, Lexus will have 2-3 vehicles smaller than NX... one suv, small sedan on CT and maybe even smaller than CT vehicle.

Maybe they wont be sold in the USA, but both Europe, Japan as well as China want these vehicles and thats 30%-40% of Lexus worldwide sales.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-23-15 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-22-15, 02:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
looks pretty good!

I am sure that within 5 years, Lexus will have 2-3 vehicles smaller than NX... one suv, small sedan on CT and maybe even smaller than CT vehicle.

Maybe they wont be sold in the USA, but both Europe, Japan as well as China want these vehicles and thats 30%-40% of Lexus worldwide sales.
I totally agree, Lexus will chase sales once the NX sales and market start to Peter out and go to a lower MSRP.
Old 11-22-15, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Looks to me like it was done more or less off the last-generation Subaru Impreza 5-door hatchback, with a new grille/headlights added.

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think there was a recent article stating that Lexus won't go any smaller than the NX
I agree with RXSF. In the American market, I see little practical reason for Lexus to do any SUV/CUV design smaller than an NX, though, it may not be out of the question in other markets. That subcompact-SUV market, in the U.S., will belong to mainstream-brands like the Honda HR-V, Nissan Juke, and upcoming designs from Toyota and others.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-23-15 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-22-15, 08:03 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looks to me like it was done more or less off the last-generation Subaru Impreza 5-door hatchback, with a new grille/headlights added.
No it was not based on anything, it's from scratch.
Old 11-22-15, 08:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

with that new Q30 Id say they new something a bit more masculine than the CT
Old 11-22-15, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No it was not based on anything, it's from scratch.
Perhaps so, but the body styling, at least from the windshield back, is strongly reminiscent of the last-generation Impreza hatchback. of course, there are (or have been) so many vehicles that it's hard to design ANYTHING nowadays that doesn't look like SOMETHING else, somewhere.
Old 11-22-15, 09:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Looks great. Very simple and agreeable lines for the up and coming masses. Lexus should replace the nerdy CT with this. Hatchbacks are downmarket for America, but small SUV's are trendy and vibrant. Next CT should be a small sedan to compete with the A3 and CLA. Those two companies did their marketing research.
So much potential here...
Old 11-22-15, 09:24 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps so, but the body styling, at least from the windshield back, is strongly reminiscent of the last-generation Impreza hatchback. of course, there are (or have been) so many vehicles that it's hard to design ANYTHING nowadays that doesn't look like SOMETHING else, somewhere.
The Impreza was the furthest from my mind when I was sketching that, I was trying to keep the greenhouse and lines rather straight as I think it gives a more "strong" look that is appealing in crossovers.

I guess this is an example of designers inadvertently "copying" eachother without even knowing it.
Old 11-22-15, 09:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Regarding the sketch, the vertical front side intakes is what makes the front more palatable compared to Lexus's current idea. Having taller or wider openings on each side below the headlights takes the eye away from the tall grille gape. The IS desperately needs this feature for the facelift, especially on the F-Sport model.
Old 11-22-15, 10:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Impreza was the furthest from my mind when I was sketching that, I was trying to keep the greenhouse and lines rather straight as I think it gives a more "strong" look that is appealing in crossovers.

I guess this is an example of designers inadvertently "copying" eachother without even knowing it.
OK....I didn't realize you sketched it. Not a bad job.

Some of the most famous designs in history (such as the original VW Beetle in the 1930s and the P-51 Mustang fighter in WWII) were first done as sketches on napkins.