Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Paul Walker's amazing car collection

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 09:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With most private owners, it happens so rarely (as most cars depreciate with time) that some people aren't even aware that it's considered a capital gain. Of course, some cars begin to gain value again if they get old enough and there is enough demand for them.
Anybody who has ever done any investing is going to understand that when you have a gain...that gain is taxable.
Old 12-01-15, 03:42 AM
OkiFD3S
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He has a very dynamic taste in cars. I mean that in the sense that they don't fall all into the same genre (exotic, muscle, tuner, etc). Everything from a Mustang 5.0 to a Ferrari to a Bronco. I've never thought of a stock Bronco as very desirable, but to each his own.
Old 12-02-15, 04:44 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
every gain can be considered as gain of some kind for tax purposes by the IRS so i don't know what's your point there. i am sure it's still better than sticking the pile of cash under the mattress (when you have a gain).

from what i notice and also what some people say, the new nsx actually makes the old one even more desirable so that's a good thing

i still have my nsx. don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon

50k? this is no ferrari. a huge big time job on the nsx costs about 3k and that's changing most stuff already. insurance? as a daily driver the insurance of my nsx is about 800 bucks a year which is even less than my gs. putting it as a show car and it's really minimal cost. storage is going to be some cost but i doubt it's going to tun that high. doesn't hurt when he has a 5 car garage to begin with.

but then my point isn't on how much the gain is. my point is rich people they know where to put the money and roll on it
Well if the guy has 4 of them, 4 timing belt jobs(or some other big job) at $3k a pop, 16 tires at $200 a pop, lets say insurance for 4 of them is $1000 a year, he'll have spent about $20,000 in 5 years just keeping them roadworthy. Granted my estimate of $50k was a bit high, but cars cost money even if you don't drive them much.

If your vintage Ferrari drops a valve and requires a rebuild on that V12, that's $30-40k out of any potential profit you might have earned. Spend another $50,000 on bodywork/paint, you can see how you can get upside down in terms of value real quick if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 12-02-15, 05:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Paul Walker was a car guy who had a net worth of $25M at his death.He loved his collecting car hobby and probably didn't care or worry too much about profit and loss.
Old 12-02-15, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Well if the guy has 4 of them, 4 timing belt jobs(or some other big job) at $3k a pop, 16 tires at $200 a pop, lets say insurance for 4 of them is $1000 a year, he'll have spent about $20,000 in 5 years just keeping them roadworthy. Granted my estimate of $50k was a bit high, but cars cost money even if you don't drive them much.

If your vintage Ferrari drops a valve and requires a rebuild on that V12, that's $30-40k out of any potential profit you might have earned. Spend another $50,000 on bodywork/paint, you can see how you can get upside down in terms of value real quick if you don't know what you're doing.
Just because there are costs and "you have to know what you're doing" doesn't mean that car collecting can't be a good investment. Just like any investment, its not for everybody...and with potential for growth comes potential for loss.
Old 12-02-15, 05:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Just because there are costs and "you have to know what you're doing" doesn't mean that car collecting can't be a good investment. Just like any investment, its not for everybody...and with potential for growth comes potential for loss.
Oh I know. If I were rich, I'd much rather have a couple million dollars tied up in cars than stocks/bonds/mutual funds(which is where most of my $$$ would be invested). Its a much more fun "investment".

I guess a couple of my hangups with people talking about cars as an investment, is they'll float numbers around how they made $50k selling that old Porsche, just talking about transaction prices. They don't include repairs, insurance, restoration costs, etc which drives me nuts. The secret is to buy somebody else's top flight $100,000 restored car because a lot of times they have more in the restoration than what the car is worth.

And as with all investments, you buy low, sell high. Right now is a terrible time to buy a vintage Ferrari(even ugly and slow 308's are going for stupid money IMO), pre-1974 Porsche, vintage Jaguar, etc. That's if you want to make money. If you just gotta have that car, then that's cool too, but don't be dissapointed when you sell it in 5 years you can't get what you paid now or it sells for the same price.
Old 12-02-15, 09:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

first of all you are still deviating from the main point that investment in cars can be a good move for people in the know. doesn't mean 100k or 50k, it's a gain. i don't know if your point is trying to wash down the gain on the person i know but i see it as pretty pointless.

and regarding your context, i can only say you simply just don't know enough about the nsx. it's no exaggeration when someone says its maintenance cost is the same as civic. i never said cars take nothing to maintain, but you are only over 100% off in your estimation while there is no reason to do big maintenance job (the 3k one) when the car is not driven much

as another example. i put almost 30k miles on my nsx, paid for a big job done, and if i sell it today, i still make money over my original purchase price + all maintenance fees. i think that's enough to illustrate the gain part
Old 12-02-15, 11:57 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
first of all you are still deviating from the main point that investment in cars can be a good move for people in the know. doesn't mean 100k or 50k, it's a gain. i don't know if your point is trying to wash down the gain on the person i know but i see it as pretty pointless.

and regarding your context, i can only say you simply just don't know enough about the nsx. it's no exaggeration when someone says its maintenance cost is the same as civic. i never said cars take nothing to maintain, but you are only over 100% off in your estimation while there is no reason to do big maintenance job (the 3k one) when the car is not driven much

as another example. i put almost 30k miles on my nsx, paid for a big job done, and if i sell it today, i still make money over my original purchase price + all maintenance fees. i think that's enough to illustrate the gain part
I don't like posting on here as much because there are many members who will post about every vehicle like they are experts about them. My knowledge isn't very extensive, but there are a handful of cars and trucks that I have a lot of experience with, and I swear the info on here about these vehicles couldn't be more wrong.

One of these days I'll have another NSX in my garage!
Old 12-03-15, 12:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I don't like posting on here as much because there are many members who will post about every vehicle like they are experts about them. My knowledge isn't very extensive, but there are a handful of cars and trucks that I have a lot of experience with, and I swear the info on here about these vehicles couldn't be more wrong.

One of these days I'll have another NSX in my garage!
i am waiting for you mike! you got me into this game bud!

i will be honest and say i will feel the pain if i were to own a gt3 or ferrari and deal with all the insurance and maintenance. but with the nsx i literally feel nothing. that's the difference