Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why the bolsters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-15, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts
Default Why the bolsters?

But sales are sales. They may have lost some of their original buyers, but they've brought new buyers to the vehicle. Which buyers are better? Are the new buyers younger? My guess is yes.

This is a story that plays out across the whole industry.

The key is I think providing options. Lexus IS a good example of that wig F Sport and Luxury trims.
Old 11-29-15, 08:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I know sales have been strong for the new Avalon, that's not what I was getting at. They lost alot of their ORIGINAL customers which liked the plush ride and comfy interior. You have to sometimes look beyond the sales numbers...
the buyers of ORIGINAL avalons are likely unable to drive or dead now anyway.
Old 11-29-15, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
This is a compelling point lol
Old 11-29-15, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I know sales have been strong for the new Avalon, that's not what I was getting at. They lost alot of their ORIGINAL customers which liked the plush ride and comfy interior. You have to sometimes look beyond the sales numbers...
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Don't bet on it. 97-SC300 is correct. There's more of them around than you think. I know several of them myself.

Also consider that Toyota was forced to soften the Non-Touring suspensions on the 2016 model because of owner-complaints of over-harshness the last couple of years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-15 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-29-15, 08:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They weren't forced to, they chose to. Look at the sales figures, theres no drop-off in sales that would force them to do anything.
Old 11-29-15, 09:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Luxury GS seat (which has power adjustable side bolsters which are great, these seats were the best seats I've ever had in a Lexus, including the LS430)
I have to agree, the GS450h (and 350 Luxury) with the 18-way power seats with cushion extension, adjustable side bolsters, and articulating lumbar is something to behold
Old 11-29-15, 09:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats the thing, firmer doesn't mean less comfortable. The GS's seats are firmer, you don't melt into them the way you do the seats in the LS (either my 460 or the 430), but I would choose them any day.

Its beyond me why the LS doesn't have a multi-contour seat option.
Old 11-29-15, 10:02 PM
Trump2016
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the thing, firmer doesn't mean less comfortable. The GS's seats are firmer, you don't melt into them the way you do the seats in the LS (either my 460 or the 430), but I would choose them any day.

I like that "melting" feeling. Seriously, from a purely medical point of view, which I am utterly not qualified to offer, the perfect seat is the one that offers equal distribution of pressure exerted on my very-dear-to-me part of my anatomy. Hence, the first sentence in this post. That is why hard seats just don't work for me as the Fleetwood Brougham's used to.

Last edited by Trump2016; 11-29-15 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 05:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

it's an old car now and they're not putting more r&d money into it.
Old 11-30-15, 05:17 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ooths-the-ride

2016 model will be tweaked for these reasons...
Car models don't survive by re-selling to the exact same customers, year after year. The Avalon has been out for over 20 years--and was the Cressida before that. Cadillac, Buick, Lincoln, etc, have learned the hard way--you have to expand your customer base, and not just keep catering to the exact same buyers.
Old 11-30-15, 07:53 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Trump2016
I just bought an LS430. The main reason: the seats - the last seats made to be comfortable. Even LS460 is not as good as the 430. That is why I settled for a 10-year-old car with 100k miles that feels good.

Today, every car manufacturer seems to cater to the corner carvers and the track crazies judging by these ungodly seat and back bolsters. RC350 is worse than bad to the point of giving me the feeling of being trapped, and squeezed that actually make breathing difficult.

My guess is that they are trying to appeal to the average Lexus buyers - who is about 55 - by making them feel younger in a "sporty" car while going for a 10-minute ride around the block. Later, after a 10-hour trip, they will probably discover what being locked in one position does to blood circulation and the pain in the lower back.

No, it's not me. My waist is 35 and my weight 190.
Go try out the new Volvo XC90. Or any Volvo in general really. Great, supportive and comfortable seats. Often touted as the best in the business. The XC90 also has adjustable bolsters and thigh extensions and whatnot, but overall the cushioning is very well done. Lots of people also like the "Zero Gravity" seats in the latest Nissans, but then you're stuck in a Nissan..
Old 11-30-15, 08:28 AM
Trump2016
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Go try out the new Volvo XC90. Or any Volvo in general really. Great, supportive and comfortable seats. Often touted as the best in the business. The XC90 also has adjustable bolsters and thigh extensions and whatnot, but overall the cushioning is very well done. Lots of people also like the "Zero Gravity" seats in the latest Nissans, but then you're stuck in a Nissan..
I didn't know about the ZG seats. Thanks. I will check it out.

I recall my 1973 Eldo, a mile-long hood, the bench front - or was it 60/40 - seat and the flat floor with nostalgia - except for that 7mpg. It was great to be able to sit almost sideways, with all that wiggle room to keep the blood flowing.

Today, getting into my SC feels like I am going into combat in an F-16. So after 5 years, it will be tempting to switch to something like a Towncar - if they still make them.
Old 11-30-15, 09:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Seems like car manufacturers are trying to make sports cars out of everything on the road that has wheels.

Very few cars that are meant to be what they actually are and not trying to pretend to be something else.

A sporty and "bold" new Camry? Give me a break. It's a family sedan with a 160hp engine. An appliance. Main objective to be reliable, good on gas, and somewhat comfortable. Now they are riding on 18's and 19's, lowering springs and big exhaust tips. It's honestly getting out of control.
I don't agree, first of a Camry makes 178 HP in four cylinder size form. And the former IS250 F-short was a joke when it comes to sport with its 204 hp V6. The new turbo model is a little better I must say.

And to those who are buying them, perhaps they don't feel that they are appliances.

Most of the industry is going after driving feel and sport image, Lexus is even piping sound into the cabin for driving experience.

Although I really like it, Lexus is absolutely one of the worst offenders when it comes to faux sport with the F-sport trim.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-30-15 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-30-15, 09:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

They weren't forced to, they chose to. Look at the sales figures, theres no drop-off in sales that would force them to do anything.
I believe it's somewhere in between of forced to, chosen, and planned and the mid cycle refresh.

The 05 Avalon had to two suspensions, touring and the standard one, touring disappeared after the 07 year. What Toyota has essentially done is added the softer suspension back into the model line up.

CR has a big write up about it, most of it is CR typical non sense and headline grab writing, but I am sure Toyota listened to the customers who said they did not like the 13 Avalon setup.
Old 11-30-15, 10:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The normal ebb and flow of the car biz and the Avalon in particular. Tweaks and refreshes to react to consumer preferences, trends and competition. Ongoing and happens all of the time.

Quick Reply: Why the bolsters?