Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why the bolsters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 10:54 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what you need is the s550 Active side bolsters can be set to automatically increase lateral support in cornering. So when not cornering, they are easy like a bench seat.
Old 11-30-15, 12:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's an old car now and they're not putting more r&d money into it.
They put all that money into it in 2013, thats when they should have done that. Thats when they added the multi-contour seat to the new GS, they could have just reused that seat, they reworked the seats anyways (the 2013+ seats are completely different than the 07-12 seats).
Old 11-30-15, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Trump2016

Today, getting into my SC feels like I am going into combat in an F-16. So after 5 years, it will be tempting to switch to something like a Towncar - if they still make them.
New Town Cars have been out of production for almost 5 years....as also been the Cadillac DTS. In the American market, the closest thing to them remaining, at a reasonable price, is probably the Chrysler 300 (and the 300 offers something the Town Car and DTS never did....an AWD option for bad weather). If you do decide to go with a 300, I'd stick with the V6 version for comfort, as the Hemi and SRT-8 versions have a much stiffer suspension. Yes, you can still get other flagships like the LS460, but you'll pay a lot more.
Old 11-30-15, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
what you need is the s550 Active side bolsters can be set to automatically increase lateral support in cornering. So when not cornering, they are easy like a bench seat.
Thanks...didn't know the new S550 had that feature. Of course, one should probably not be trying to toss a non-AMG version of the big S-Class around corners like a Miata in the first place.
Old 11-30-15, 07:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
New Town Cars have been out of production for almost 5 years....as also been the Cadillac DTS. In the American market, the closest thing to them remaining, at a reasonable price, is probably the Chrysler 300 (and the 300 offers something the Town Car and DTS never did....an AWD option for bad weather). If you do decide to go with a 300, I'd stick with the V6 version for comfort, as the Hemi and SRT-8 versions have a much stiffer suspension. Yes, you can still get other flagships like the LS460, but you'll pay a lot more.
The 300c with the 5.7 liter Hemi still have the soft suspension, its the 300 SRT-8 that had the stiffer ride(but IMO it was still good). And you haven't been able to buy a new 300 SRT-8 for a couple of years now anyways.
Old 11-30-15, 07:40 PM
Trump2016
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a wife who automatically tells me to chill out when cornering, starting or stopping too fast. As opposed to the dubious reliability of the German cars, she is very predictable.
Old 11-30-15, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The 300c with the 5.7 liter Hemi still have the soft suspension, its the 300 SRT-8 that had the stiffer ride(but IMO it was still good). And you haven't been able to buy a new 300 SRT-8 for a couple of years now anyways.
Some of the reviews I've read state the 5.7 Hemi is noticeably stiffer than the V6 (though not as stiff as the SRT). To be honest, though, I haven't sampled the regular 5.7L....but I did a full-review a few years ago on an SRT-8. The SRT wasn't as stiff as a small sports car (Miata, S2000, etc....), but it was firm by full-size sedan standards.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-15 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-01-15, 07:11 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm 5'8", 160 lbs., 32 waist, in my 50's and love the bolsters in my S5. The seats are even more heavily bolstered than the ones in my GS F Sport, which were some of the most comfortable seats ever. The bolstered seats fit like a glove, are very comfortable even on long hauls, and hold me in when I take corners fast. I don't think I could ever go back to those "pillow" seats in some of the other cars.
Attached Thumbnails Why the bolsters?-2013-audi-s5-interior-photo-493956-s-1280x782.jpg  
Old 12-02-15, 05:14 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm 5'8", 160 lbs., 32 waist, in my 50's and love the bolsters in my S5. The seats are even more heavily bolstered than the ones in my GS F Sport, which were some of the most comfortable seats ever. The bolstered seats fit like a glove, are very comfortable even on long hauls, and hold me in when I take corners fast. I don't think I could ever go back to those "pillow" seats in some of the other cars.
U hit the right point here. Sport cars with heavy bolsters are designed around and expected to be driven by athletic/sporty people, and not regular or overweight folks.
Old 12-02-15, 07:39 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

U hit the right point here. Sport cars with heavy bolsters are designed around and expected to be driven by athletic/sporty people, and not regular or overweight folks.
Well, I'm glad I'm considered to be "athletic and sporty".

In all fairness, my 83 year-old mother who has gone through compressed fractures in her vertebrae has extreme difficulty getting in and out of my car, but once she's in she's not going anywhere.
Old 12-02-15, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

. Sport cars with heavy bolsters are designed around and expected to be driven by athletic/sporty people, and not regular or overweight folks.
Welcome to America. While there are exceptions, we're generally not a nation of beanpoles like some places overseas.

Yes, maybe a lot of us are overweight, but carmakers have to deal with that if they want to sell their products.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-15 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-03-15, 05:07 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Welcome to America. While there are exceptions, we're generally not a nation of beanpoles like some places overseas.

Yes, maybe a lot of us are overweight, but carmakers have to deal with that is they want to sell their products.
I know. I was just pointing out the contradiction in the situation. Sports cars are designed to be light weight, able to be thrown around. Introducing heavy weight drivers is a contradiction. Like tiny jockeys for horse races. You would not see a 250lb line backer winning a horse race.
Old 12-03-15, 07:21 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Yes, maybe a lot of us are overweight, but carmakers have to deal with that if they want to sell their products.
And maybe we could learn something from the Europeans, who aren't typically overweight and Diabetic.
Old 12-03-15, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
And maybe we could learn something from the Europeans, who aren't typically overweight and Diabetic.
Some European foods and desserts, such as those from Denmark, France, and Italy, are actually richer and more fattening than the stuff we Americans typically eat, but they tend to ride bicycles more than we do, and burn off more calories. I myself am heavier than I should be, but the fact that I swim and walk on a treadmill regularly (almost every day) keeps my weight from getting completely out of hand.
Old 12-03-15, 07:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

If someone is sporty and regular, but not athletic, do they qualify? Much of this is marketing and positioning a brand/model towards a perceived lifestyle and image. Much like the go anywhere, do anything SUV marketing, when they are bought by regular folks who rarely if ever take them off any road. Same with sport sedans etc. Not a bad thing by any means.

Quick Reply: Why the bolsters?