Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Volvo S90

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 04:48 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Again...your opinion. I also have currently and have had vehicles with touchscreen that I switch back and forth with, and I actually prefer the RTC. So, I guess from my perspective its actually pretty good, and not such a stupid way to do things.

I don't think Lexus went to copy the germans at all. I think they wanted from a design perspective to move the screens up and away from the driver, and they wanted bigger, horizontal screens and that necessitated using some sort of controller. I think seeing what has happened with other carmakers when they came out with a radical new UI for infotainment (i.e. BMW with iDrive at first, Sync, CUE) and being conscious about their position in initial quality, etc they did not want to change the UI very much. If you've used the new 2016 version of the system, its much smoother and better looking.

To their credit, RTC requires no learning curve, its just point and click. iDrive and MMI require a considerable learning curve, in the end they are better I agree but anybody can just sit down and make the Lexus system work.

Volvo's system is a different approach, its a vertical screen, closer to the driver, its an entirely different interior design scheme.

This is why there are options...instead of complaining that Lexus' interface isn't what BMW's is, or Volvos is, or whatever...if those systems are superior enough to you then simply go buy that vehicle. Lexus' system works fine for plenty of people. I wouldn't mind something with more functionality, but it doesn't bother me. Ask Jill's folks to make a BMW with iDrive work lol.

Lexus is done with touchscreens. Time to get over it and buy something else if thats a deal breaker.
I think Lexus touchscreens will come back.

a) How long can lexus not jump on the android auto carply bandwagon. If their future philosopy and sales goal is to attract modern younger drivers, this will come to be a pretty big issue.

b) BMW and their chief infotainment development project lead stressed just a couple years ago the superiority of non-touchscreen systems in cars. Was considered a distraction. What happened to all that confidence with the G11 7 series:

1) Touchpad for handwriting
2) I Drive ****
3) Gesture Controk
4) Touchscreen. (which probably is linked with CP/AA)

Again, nothing is truly out
Old 12-08-15, 04:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I think Lexus touchscreens will come back.

a) How long can lexus not jump on the android auto carply bandwagon. If their future philosopy and sales goal is to attract modern younger drivers, this will come to be a pretty big issue.

b) BMW and their chief infotainment development project lead stressed just a couple years ago the superiority of non-touchscreen systems in cars. Was considered a distraction. What happened to all that confidence with the G11 7 series:

1) Touchpad for handwriting
2) I Drive ****
3) Gesture Controk
4) Touchscreen. (which probably is linked with CP/AA)

Again, nothing is truly out
Industry trends and what the Germans offer is what will dictate the future for Lexus.
Old 12-14-15, 07:24 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Elegantly confident, the new Volvo S90 is the executive saloon redefined.
Old 12-15-15, 02:13 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very handsome car, interior is elegant and simple, but it's too simple for me I'm afraid I would get bored quickly in this car.
Old 12-29-15, 06:26 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Exquisite materials combine with intuitive technology inside the new #VolvoS90.
Old 12-29-15, 07:29 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I like this car more and more. Curious about the price...
Old 01-26-16, 04:16 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Capturing sound is a science. Reproducing it faithfully is an art form. 19 state-of-the-art speakers deliver a clear, crisp and powerful audio experience in the new Volvo S90.
Old 01-30-16, 10:18 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I have a feeling that the S90 will start at US$50k+ and the T8 version would be US$65k+. Which would less than the LS.

I can't wait to see the S90 up against the next gen LS and Tesla Model S. I know they are not in the same price range.
Old 01-30-16, 10:23 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I have a feeling that the S90 will start at US$50k+ and the T8 version would be US$65k+. Which would less than the LS.

I can't wait to see the S90 up against the next gen LS and Tesla Model S. I know they are not in the same price range.
Much like the XC90, a base model with just the turbo will likely come out allowing the S90 to start in the mid $40k range.

Why exactly do you want to see the S90 up against those models? Given its a class below, what do you expect to happen?
Old 01-30-16, 12:27 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Much like the XC90, a base model with just the turbo will likely come out allowing the S90 to start in the mid $40k range.

Why exactly do you want to see the S90 up against those models? Given its a class below, what do you expect to happen?
I guess the S90 would be best suited against the E-class, 5-series and GS. For me the S90 it has more class than those 3, so that is the reason I would like to see it compared against the: LS and Model S. One thing the S90 has a similar wheelbase as the LS and Model S.

Last edited by JessePS; 01-30-16 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-30-16, 01:42 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I guess the S90 would be best suited against the E-class, 5-series and GS. For me the S90 it has more class than those 3, so that is the reason I would like to see it compared against the: LS and Model S. One thing the S90 has a similar wheelbase as the LS and Model S.
Maybe the LS, but the Model S crowd is a whole different target audience. Just read the IC hate threads on the Tesla forums, so ehh. The S90 is probs gonna need a long test drive since its probs not gonna be dynamic but one can hope
Old 01-31-16, 07:43 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Very handsome car, interior is elegant and simple, but it's too simple for me I'm afraid I would get bored quickly in this car.
Agreed on all counts. Definitely a Swedish sensibility to the interior. Nice, but not my cup of tea.
Old 02-19-16, 07:48 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

From 2017, Volvo plans to become the world’s first carmaker to offer cars without keys.
Old 02-21-16, 02:04 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

That is pretty cool! Being able to share your car with family members or complete strangers. I have a feeling this is what Faraday Futures may want to do also.

Last edited by JessePS; 02-21-16 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-10-16, 07:05 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Our most advanced engine ever. Presenting the T8 Twin Engine, part of our ongoing pursuit of cleaner, more efficient driving.

Quick Reply: 2017 Volvo S90