Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Life-Size Tonka Toyota Trucks Should Influence a Lexus Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If they build a Lexus pickup before a 3 row crossover I'm done with the brand.
You would actually sell off your LS, or simply not buy or lease any more Lexus products? I suspect you mean the latter.
Old 12-08-15, 09:37 AM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does Lexus need a truck again?

Are the Toyota Tacoma + Tundra sales hurting?

Stick to what Lexus is known for and good for. The biggest vehicle I can see is a 3 cross row SUV as someone mentioned. Leave the truck division to Toyota which is more of a universal car brand (except Sports cars for now).
Old 12-08-15, 03:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You would actually sell off your LS, or simply not buy or lease any more Lexus products? I suspect you mean the latter.
It was mostly just for dramatic intent lol.

Building a truck instead of a 3 row crossover would show they've totally lost touch with what the consumer wants and what their dealers want.
Old 12-08-15, 04:54 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Lexus could build both a 3 row crossover (TX 460) and a luxury prestige pickup truck (LT 570)...
Old 12-08-15, 05:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Lexus could build both a 3 row crossover (TX 460) and a luxury prestige pickup truck (LT 570)...
A Lexus version of the Tundra would be very profitable
Old 12-08-15, 05:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
LOL, okay.

Let's put it this way. If Lexus comes out with a pickup truck...I'll buy each of you one.
Old 12-08-15, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Only if it sells.
Old 12-08-15, 05:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Only if it sells.
What makes you think it won't sell? The top end of the truck market is where the big profit it is. Lexus does not have to do much to get a Lexus truck off the ground, I would hope they would skip the remote touch interface.
Old 12-08-15, 05:25 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Indeed. I would by a Lexus pickup.

LOL, okay.

Let's put it this way. If Lexus comes out with a pickup truck...I'll buy each of you one.
If you're buying I'll take mine in Matador Red Mica...
Old 12-08-15, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What makes you think it won't sell?
Well, let me ask you this (and this gets back to where I already answered your question before): If the Tundra, after being on the market for some 10 years, couldn't really break significantly into the F150/Silverado/Ram market, what makes you think a Tundra-based Lexus pickup would? Sounds to me like you're basically tossing darts at a board, without really aiming, and just hoping for a bull's eye.

Please, try to understand. It's not that the Lexus pickup would be a bad product or a pariah...nothing of the sort. But you have to look at the enormous solidity and owner-loyalty of the American truck market...and how stubbornly those owners cling to their trucks (and truck-brands). You might as well ask far-left Bernie Sanders to become a Republican......or far-right Ted Cruz to become a Democrat LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-08-15 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 06:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The full size truck segment is better off today at the high end MSRP than it has in the past. Toyota does not have anything at the highest price point of the 1/2 ton segment compared to the Americans that have slightly higher MSRPs at the highest end.
Old 12-08-15, 08:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What makes you think it won't sell? The top end of the truck market is where the big profit it is. Lexus does not have to do much to get a Lexus truck off the ground, I would hope they would skip the remote touch interface.
Because he has some idea how the industry and this segment work.

The full size high end truck market is entirely different demographically than anything Toyota or Lexus competes in. Why do you think they don't offer a $65,000 Tundra now? When they can sell $65,000 Ford F150 King Ranch models? Because that segment is dominated by a demographic of people who would never buy a foreign truck...they are intensely brand loyal, and intensely loyal to domestic brands.

Buyers in that segment are not going to buy a Lexus pickup truck. They aren't going to buy a Toyota pickup truck either.
Old 12-11-15, 08:21 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I have to agree with MMarshall here, that poor Tundra is trying all sorts of tricks to really break into the popular truck market but just cannot.

It's reliable as a Camry; Refined as an Avalon (or Lexus?); tough or tougher than an F-150 but not loyal as an American (and their trucks).

That said, why Lexus customers would want a utilitarian truck? To haul what?? I personally don't see any value to it though.
Old 12-11-15, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX469
I have to agree with MMarshall here, that poor Tundra is trying all sorts of tricks to really break into the popular truck market but just cannot.
Part of it was that they didn't get the exterior size correct until 2006 (earlier Tundra models and the T-100/150 series were marketed as full-size trucks, but, in fact, unlike the Nissan Titan, were actually three-quarter size. Then, in 2006, when they finally got the exterior size correct, they had other problems trying to market it.....C-Channel frame, flimsy trim parts, tailgates that bent from the loads, and, of course, the always-intense loyalty of the American-truck crowd.
Old 12-11-15, 12:38 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because he has some idea how the industry and this segment work.

The full size high end truck market is entirely different demographically than anything Toyota or Lexus competes in. Why do you think they don't offer a $65,000 Tundra now? When they can sell $65,000 Ford F150 King Ranch models? Because that segment is dominated by a demographic of people who would never buy a foreign truck...they are intensely brand loyal, and intensely loyal to domestic brands.

Buyers in that segment are not going to buy a Lexus pickup truck. They aren't going to buy a Toyota pickup truck either.
bingo!

if lexus were to build one only 2 people would buy it, and they're both in this thread. its a purposeless vehicle. lexus target demographic is not looking at trucks. they want sedans, hybrids, and sports cars.

Quick Reply: Why Life-Size Tonka Toyota Trucks Should Influence a Lexus Pickup