Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Life-Size Tonka Toyota Trucks Should Influence a Lexus Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-15, 01:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Part of it was that they didn't get the exterior size correct until 2006 (earlier Tundra models and the T-100/150 series were marketed as full-size trucks, but, in fact, unlike the Nissan Titan, were actually three-quarter size. Then, in 2006, when they finally got the exterior size correct, they had other problems trying to market it.....C-Channel frame, flimsy trim parts, tailgates that bent from the loads, and, of course, the always-intense loyalty of the American-truck crowd.
The biggest problem with the Tundra is that there is no compelling reason to purchase the Tundra over the rest of the competition, all of the competition do full size truck better (kinda like full size SUVs). The c-channel frame, dated 5.7 engine, very un-competitive fuel economy, and lower than expected payload are the main reasons why the Tundra has not succeeded.

The previous gen Tundra was a success for those who wanted a Toyota truck with a V8, 7000lb tow cap, Toyota reliability, and a competitive payload. From what I understand, the first Tundra has a very loyal following that did not exactly upgrade to the bottom gger size.

I always kinda liked the 7/8th full size of the first gen Tundra.

The one thing about the current 13 facelift Tundra, is that the marketing is much better than 07 with those "Holy Smokes" look how big the brakes of my truck etc etc. I always thought those commercials were kinda corny.
Old 12-11-15, 01:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doge
lexus target demographic are not looking at trucks. they want sedans, hybrids, and sports cars.
This is where you are wrong IMO. You stated Lexus "target buyers", the Lexus is target buyer is interested in suvs and sedans, not sure about sports cars as Lexus sports cars are not the greatest and do not sell that well.

For there is probably 2.5 full size trucks sold each year in the USA, the top end of the segment very likely could support a full size truck for luxury brands at this point in time.

Just think of the time when Cadillac/Lexus/Lincoln all took the risk in the mid-90s and cloned the Tahoe/Land Cruiser/Expedition, why can't it happen again? The times are a little different than 00s when Cadillac and Lincoln debuted trucks, the current high end trucks are selling for very high MSRPs.
Old 12-11-15, 02:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The biggest problem with the Tundra is that there is no compelling reason to purchase the Tundra over the rest of the competition, all of the competition do full size truck better (kinda like full size SUVs). The c-channel frame, dated 5.7 engine, very un-competitive fuel economy, and lower than expected payload are the main reasons why the Tundra has not succeeded.

The previous gen Tundra was a success for those who wanted a Toyota truck with a V8, 7000lb tow cap, Toyota reliability, and a competitive payload. From what I understand, the first Tundra has a very loyal following that did not exactly upgrade to the bottom bigger size.

]I always kinda liked the 7/8th full size of the first gen Tundra.
Quality-wise, and mechanically, the 1Gen Tundra was a good truck.....and, IMO, was more-solidly-built, with better parts, than the true full-size 2Gen Tundra that followed it. And I know you sometimes criticize "dated" Toyota/Lexus drive trains, but the company seems to have a knack for producing reliable, smooth-shifting, refined ones. Likewise, both the 4.6L V8 (which was Lexus-derived) and the larger I-Force 5.7L V8 used in the first and second-generation models were smooth, quiet, and refined....that was one of the good things reviewers commented on. As far as being "dated" or not, pickup buyers (usually) don't care about things like how many valves per cylinder, camshafts per bank, or VTEC features their engines have....they simply want low-end torque to adequately carry or tow their loads. However, though you (personally) may have been satisfied with the size and capability of the 1Gen Tundra (and I respect your opinion on that, even though I presume that you are not a typical pickup driver), many other truck buyers apparently were not (I'm talking about the U.S., not necessarily Canada where you are). Truck buyers are often concerned about how much truck they are actually getting for the money....one of the things that, unfortunately, drove the last-generation Ford Ranger/Mazda B-series out of the U.S. market, as it ended up being priced too close to full-sized F-150s for its size. That (apparently) was the same case with the 1Gen Tundra.....and, with the always-hot-selling F-150 and Silverado being available right down the street, and the droop-fendered, big-rig-styled Dodge Ram that appealed to those who wanted a macho-looking image, the handwriting was on the wall.

As far as the C-channel frame goes, I'm not enough of a structural engineer to know if it is as strong as an equivalent conventional ladder-frame or not, but domestic trucks, in their ads at the time, touted it as a reason to avoid the Tundra and stick with one of their brands. I'm sure, though, that it is solid enough to handle whatever payload and tow-ratings the engineers have tested it for. Too bad the same couldn't be said of the tailgate on the 2Gen Tundra...they apparently tried to cost-cut with some of the body sheet metal, and the early model tailgates buckled under load until the factory stiffened them up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-15 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-11-15, 03:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
bingo!

if lexus were to build one only 2 people would buy it, and they're both in this thread. its a purposeless vehicle. lexus target demographic is not looking at trucks. they want sedans, hybrids, and sports cars.
I agree. While maybe fun to debate/discuss, it ain't gonna happen. IMO of course...
Old 12-11-15, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. While maybe fun to debate/discuss, it ain't gonna happen. IMO of course...
If the Lincoln and Cadillac pickups had done a little better in the marketplace than they did, it might have been a feasible possibility. But, in general, I tend agree with you. I'm not holding my breath waiting for a Lexus pickup.
Old 12-11-15, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Lexus should make a boat too. Or a plane.
Old 12-11-15, 05:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If the Lincoln and Cadillac pickups had done a little better in the marketplace than they did, it might have been a feasible possibility.
It was a different time when ILincoln and Cadillac offered trucks. The higher end MSRP is much higher now and their has to be some sort of segment for it when 2.5 million trucks are sold. Also, the Cadillac truck was not really a truck, it the Suburban platform with a trick bed.

My husband and I are into boating. We have a boat and although we don't tow the boat, we see a lot of folks coming to the marina with $50+ trucks, the most are usually the highest end trim. Lots of full size SUVs as well like Escalades, Suburbans, Yukon and the most popular Toyota is usually a Platinum Toyota.

There is supposed to be some report going around that Lexus is studying a truck, not sure if it ks really true. I am surprised that you do not see a market for a luxury Lexus truck, Lexus is limited to moving up to 7100lbs which is not a whole lot considering gear, passengers etc etc. This is why I would say there is a market for a large Lexus truck.
Old 12-11-15, 05:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Lexus should make a boat too. Or a plane.
Or maybe a true V12 flagship.
Old 12-11-15, 06:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

The V12 flagship would at least make sense.

The issue is that yes more high end pickups are sold now, at high prices, but the demographic that buys that truck is not compatible with a Japanese Lexus.

It's true that a Cadillac or Lincoln pickup might do okay now, but that doesn't mean a Lexus would.

There's a reason why there is not a decked out trim if the Tundra that competes.