Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 11:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
For Lexus to be able to play in the 6 figure arena is already an achievement in itself. If they can indeed sell out the 4400 cars or so, it will be an even greater achievement. I hope they succeed as it will be great for the brand.
Considering they've only been around for a quarter of a century, it is indeed an accomplishment that Lexus is elevating their brand with six figure vehicle already!
Old 02-12-16, 11:11 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will probably see a few in Montreal, when I am back. Now to win the lottery, so I can be one of those people.
Old 02-13-16, 05:28 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
Does anyone remember when the SC430 was first introduced? The waiting list was long and the cars were in short supply. If someone drove one for a while and turned it in, Lexus dealers used to charge more for a used one than a new one because there was no wait. I could see that happening again. The only difference might be that dealers weren't allowing test drives in the SC430, so customers were buying them thinking they were sports cars, only to be disappointed because they were anything but.
The SC 430 was such a painful flop. It managed to ride stiffly AND handle poorly. And what is the point of a 4 seat retractable hardtop with backseats you can barely fit a grocery bag in? Just make it a proper 2-seater like the SL and be done with it. The only good point about the 430 was the engine. Probably the best V8 Lexus ever made.
Old 02-13-16, 05:29 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"all of those LC coupes will be made on Toyota’s GA-L platform"...
Great, so now we'll get to hear all the Lexus haters deriding our $100,000 Toyota.
Old 02-13-16, 06:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLive
The SC 430 was such a painful flop. It managed to ride stiffly AND handle poorly. And what is the point of a 4 seat retractable hardtop with backseats you can barely fit a grocery bag in? Just make it a proper 2-seater like the SL and be done with it. The only good point about the 430 was the engine. Probably the best V8 Lexus ever made.
The reason is insurance class. Give me unusable back seats any day.

As far as the SC430 being a flop, it sold well and they still hold their value VERY well, I've thought about picking one up from time to time and I'm still very surprised by the high resale values.

"all of those LC coupes will be made on Toyota’s GA-L platform"...
Great, so now we'll get to hear all the Lexus haters deriding our $100,000 Toyota.
You don't understand what that means. The GA-L platform is a Lexus only platform. It's Toyotas platform because Lexus is Toyota. Every platform is a Toyota platform.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-13-16 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-13-16, 08:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Although its back seat, as you note, was a joke, the SC430, in my book at least, also had a very well-done interior. Lexus seems to have forgotten what it's like to do real plushness inside.

(So has Jaguar, I might add)

Old 02-13-16, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The reason is insurance class. Give me unusable back seats any day.
I agree.....in most instances, two package-shelf back seats are probably better than none. And, yes, these's no reason why two-seaters should necessarily be subject to insurance surcharges......it's BS. Actually, over the years, the most widespread aggressively-driven cars that I've seen (and the ones probably most likely to be wrecked by their drivers), in general, aren't pure two-seaters, but Mustang V8s. Some BMW 3-series drivers are also quite irresponsible....but not as bad as with Mustangs. There's just something about a Mustang with a large engine that often invites nonsense on the road...more so than even with Camaros and Challengers.
Old 02-13-16, 09:02 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lexus seems to have forgotten what it's like to do real plushness inside.
Clearly not the case

Old 02-13-16, 10:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Although its back seat, as you note, was a joke, the SC430, in my book at least, also had a very well-done interior. Lexus seems to have forgotten what it's like to do real plushness inside.

(So has Jaguar, I might add)

Lexus HAD plusher interiors, but trends do change and the current Lexus line up is selling well despite a different style of materials and such. I personally think the current line up of ES/GS/IS are better than they have ever been and are fully up to modern tastes.
Old 02-13-16, 10:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Clearly not the case

Yes it does look more plush than the past, some of this new interior could be improved, but overall its pretty well done.
Old 02-13-16, 11:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus seems to have forgotten what it's like to do real plushness inside.
I don't agree with this at all. My LS460 is pretty darn plush as was my GS, as is the LX, the new RX, the refreshed ES is pretty plush too. The new LC looks great.

Interior style comes and goes. That gathered leather look you used to see just isn't in style.
Old 02-13-16, 12:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Clearly not the case

The interior of the new LC is what I really like about it. The exterior overall does not wow me , and the tail lights and the butt as a whole, while distinctive, look terrible to me.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-13-16 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-13-16, 12:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I respect all of your opinions here....but I don't necessarily share them. IMO most of the Lexus interiors of today can't compare with the ones of 10-15 years ago. However, SW15LS has a point that the LS interiors are always plush.
Old 02-13-16, 12:43 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
didn't realize until that pic that it also has the floating roof like the rx.
Standard will be Glass Roof.. With Carbon as a hefty option...

Which do you prefer??

This is going to be plenty of NA power for me..

Joe Z
Old 02-13-16, 01:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I respect all of your opinions here....but I don't necessarily share them. IMO most of the Lexus interiors of today can't compare with the ones of 10-15 years ago. However, SW15LS has a point that the LS interiors are always plush.
I've owned cars from all of these generations of Lexus cars. There are issues with cost cutting down low in the range, but those issues are being addressed (the 2016 ES for instance made a big leap in interior materials from the 2015). But, the 4GS for instance has a nicer/as nice interior as the GS has ever had, and its every bit as nice as the one in that SC. The same is true of the LS. The IS' is much higher quality than it used to be inside.

To me the cars in the Lexus lineup that stand out as having interiors currently that are not as nice as previous versions of their model lines are the CT (no previous version, the interior is just not very nice IMHO), the GX...other than that I don't see it. The new RX' interior is the nicest interior an RX has ever had after two successive drops in quality in the 2RX and then 3RX. The 5ES and 6ES were a downgrade from the excellent 4ES, but IMHO the additional flair of the interior on the refreshed 6ES trumps what may be slightly better materials in places on the 5ES or 4 ES. The 3IS is less plush than the 2IS, but that has a lot to do with a shift in direction for the overall style of the vehicle.

IMHO at current we're at a high point for Lexus interiors. If you look at the LC as an example of what we're going to be seeing in the next LS, I think they're doing great. You simply like a certain type of gathered leather "plush" looking interior, and that look is just not in style now. You mentioned Jaguar, true they don't have that plush "look" you like, but their interiors are very high quality, all the materials are excellent, its just a different styling direction.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-13-16 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News