Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 08:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
They nearly became an exciting brand.
haha "i coulda been a contender"

Old 08-17-16, 08:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

but one thing about toyota, their huge bet on hybrid, now hydrogen fuel cells, not doing android auto / apple carplay, heck them doing lexus in the first place, shows they're anything but conservative. they go their own way, and take huge risks.
Old 08-17-16, 12:59 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Most other car companies thought Toyota was nuts to spend so much time and money on hybrids back when the Prius first came out. Now hybrids are everywhere and are seen as mainstream vehicles. I think hybrids have done their job if they're now seen as a halfway point to EVs and there will come a point where having both fossil fuel and electric powertrains in one vehicle doesn't make sense.

Anyway, after a few million Prius and HSD/LHD vehicle sales, Toyota is laughing all the way to the bank. I just hope they don't get stuck with fuel cells and ignore BEVs entirely.
Old 08-17-16, 01:32 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Yup. That is my impression as well. To this day I am not sure what they even tried to accomplish with their hybrid technology. Since 2007 their actual hybrid setup did not evolve much and their PHEV experiment ended up being the worst PHEV ever offered.

Some of my conclusions are:
1. Hybrid thing was the greatest PR campaign in the history of the industry
2. They play ultra-conservative and safe waiting game by banking on oil industry and their promises of keep alive the fuel infrastructure no matter what the fuel will be (at the moment fuel of the future is hydrogen)
3. They are banking on hydrogen right now its obvious but they are still cautious and they hope they win and pull out another hybrid PR stunt
4. If EV wins they will be in trouble for a brief period. It's Toyota they will survive no doubt and adjust.

I personally want to see EV and FCV live together side by side for a very long time. I don't want one to rule it all just like I didn't want Blu-ray to get over HDDVD ten years ago.
Perhaps their campaign goes the way of hydrogen but as always like a responsible corporate conglomerate, they have backups, they just don't reveal it because it isn't on message.

Lexus was really leading the hybrid game.
Old 08-17-16, 04:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
Toyota was really leading the hybrid game.
fixed - the lexus hybrid effort was so half-hearted - even finding a gs450h to buy hasn't always been easy.
Old 08-17-16, 09:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Does anybody think Lexus is betting hard on hydrogen without a back up for electric?

They were so ahead of the game with hybrids and they could've been first or even second to the fully electric game as long as they followed the path. Their reasoning was hybrids gave efficiency while convenient for getting gas. I think hydrogen is the wrong bet...
very good point, they are probably thinking of something in a very different direction. i can't tell if that's right or wrong yet, but for sure it seems like they are skipping the full electric path.

Originally Posted by situman
For the price, at a minimum, they should have shoved the engine from the LSh in there. The GSh system will be overmatched in its price range. I guess there could be room for a LCh-F.
the 600hl drive train is pretty old in today's standard too, and it's going to make the already heavy car even heavier (up front).
Old 08-18-16, 02:30 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
fixed - the lexus hybrid effort was so half-hearted - even finding a gs450h to buy hasn't always been easy.
Don't think my post needed fixing.

Lexus was and still is the luxury hybrid leader. As far as plug-in hybrid goes, they are dead on arrival.

I really wish they got into plug in hybrids, really wonder what the grand strategy was that they put their foot down and refused to go into electric.

Anyway, I've got my sights set on the LC, I really like this car, excited to check it out in 2017 and possibly lease one.

Last edited by G Star; 08-18-16 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-18-16, 07:37 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

the 600hl drive train is pretty old in today's standard too, and it's going to make the already heavy car even heavier (up front).
Agreed, but at least it has the power to back up the price tag. Well, better justify the pricetag
Old 08-18-16, 10:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Agreed, but at least it has the power to back up the price tag. Well, better justify the pricetag
With 438 total system horsepower? Still less than the LC500's 2UR-FSE 467 hp. The 2UR-GSE in the LS600hL is also 5.0L with a few tricks like Yamaha-designed high-flow cylinder heads, titanium inlet valves, high-lift camshafts and dual-length intake. It has D4-S gasoline port and direct injection, Dual VVT-i with electric VVT-iE inlet camshaft actuation. But the engine itself only produces 394 hp. Lexus could easily get the LSh powertrain to 500hp nowadays, but sadly I don't think we'll see an 8 cylinder hybrid again unless it's an F or another supercar. Even Toyota's LMP1 car dropped the NA 3.7L V8 with hybrid system for a twin-turbo 2.4L V6 unit with hybrid system. . Weight of the LSh aside, the fuel economy at 19/23/20 and driving in full electric up to only 20mph would not do the LCh any favors.

Old 08-18-16, 10:31 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Don't think my post needed fixing.

Lexus was and still is the luxury hybrid leader. As far as plug-in hybrid goes, they are dead on arrival.

I really wish they got into plug in hybrids, really wonder what the grand strategy was that they put their foot down and refused to go into electric.

Anyway, I've got my sights set on the LC, I really like this car, excited to check it out in 2017 and possibly lease one.
The fact still remains that the hybrid/plug in hybrid luxury market simply does not exist. Look at the sales of them, they are almost non existent. Buyers clearly do not want hybrid luxury cars whether they are plug in or not, hybrid luxury cars sell in much fewer numbers then even expensive rare performance models or V12 versions so what is the point in chasing a class of cars nobody wants or is buying. The V8 version of the Lexus GS sold far better and got better reviews then the over priced hybrid versions where sales are almost non existent, same with the LS hybrid which I have yet to see either on the road. I think they should focus most on what buyers actually buy and what actually sells.

Most Buyers would much rather have some type of relatively affordable IC 6 cylinder option/base for the LC then some 100K or close to that price heavy complex V6 hybrid to eek out a little better fuel economy then the V8 version.

Last edited by UDel; 08-18-16 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-18-16, 12:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The fact still remains that the hybrid/plug in hybrid luxury market simply does not exist. Look at the sales of them, they are almost non existent. Buyers clearly do not want hybrid luxury cars whether they are plug in or not, hybrid luxury cars sell in much fewer numbers then even expensive rare performance models or V12 versions so what is the point in chasing a class of cars nobody wants or is buying. .
This is not true, as a whole Lexus hybrids are doing well for Lexus. Where you are correct is that there is no true dedicated model (Like a Prius) segment in the luxury market. But when you add up GS/ES/LS and IS (world hybrid models), CT there sell enough of them. Also, you have to consider CAFE and the credits Toyota gets from these models. It makes no sense for Toyota not to offer them.

PS. Lexus should offer a V12
Old 08-18-16, 12:04 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
With 438 total system horsepower? Still less than the LC500's 2UR-FSE 467 hp. The 2UR-GSE in the LS600hL is also 5.0L with a few tricks like Yamaha-designed high-flow cylinder heads, titanium inlet valves, high-lift camshafts and dual-length intake. It has D4-S gasoline port and direct injection, Dual VVT-i with electric VVT-iE inlet camshaft actuation. But the engine itself only produces 394 hp. Lexus could easily get the LSh powertrain to 500hp nowadays, but sadly I don't think we'll see an 8 cylinder hybrid again unless it's an F or another supercar. Even Toyota's LMP1 car dropped the NA 3.7L V8 with hybrid system for a twin-turbo 2.4L V6 unit with hybrid system. . Weight of the LSh aside, the fuel economy at 19/23/20 and driving in full electric up to only 20mph would not do the LCh any favors.
438hp is still much better than 320ish? How do you ask someone to pay $100k for 320ish hp? I think some of the FE downfall was due to the small battery. If they can fit a higher powered LiON battery with longer electric range FE will go up. Then again, imho anyone paying $100k for a sports car shouldnt be concerned about FE.
Old 08-18-16, 12:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

438hp is still much better than 320ish? How do you ask someone to pay $100k for 320ish hp? I think some of the FE downfall was due to the small battery. If they can fit a higher powered LiON battery with longer electric range FE will go up. Then again, imho anyone paying $100k for a sports car shouldnt be concerned about FE.
It's 354hp

Because they're not buying for horsepower on the hybrid LC (if they were they'd go LC500). They're buying the LCh for its exotic aesthetics like its V8 counterpart, and the technology involved. The multi-speed transmission will help make the LCh the most engaging Lexus hybrid to date, not to mentioned higher full electric speeds and longer EV range.

Honestly the LCh sounds like a car Hollywood stars and corporate elite would drive. I delivered a 2013 LS600hL and a 2013 GS450h to Warren Beatty a few years ago.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 08-18-16 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-18-16, 01:58 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's 354hp

Because they're not buying for horsepower on the hybrid LC (if they were they'd go LC500). They're buying the LCh for its exotic aesthetics like its V8 counterpart, and the technology involved. The multi-speed transmission will help make the LCh the most engaging Lexus hybrid to date, not to mentioned higher full electric speeds and longer EV range.

Honestly the LCh sounds like a car Hollywood stars and corporate elite would drive. I delivered a 2013 LS600hL and a 2013 GS450h to Warren Beatty a few years ago.
I don't quite understand it myself why folks seem hell bent on thinking people buy high end luxury hybrids for anything other than a) appearing environmentally friendly or b) technologically cool.

There is an obvious reason why Lexus doesn't make a fully efficient hybrid like a Prius, their hybrids tend to scale on the higher end (exception of CT) and they obviously know it isn't for everyday buyers, its for someone with a little more change in the pocket to spare when purchasing a car.
Old 08-18-16, 02:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't quite understand it myself why folks seem hell bent on thinking people buy high end luxury hybrids for anything other than a) appearing environmentally friendly or b) technologically cool.
The original idea for the Lexus RX/GS/LS hybrids was to replace a larger engine. You can have your power and fuel efficiency at the same time. ..Sadly, the idea did not exactly work. With the ES300h, they went away from the power and moved towards efficiency

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News