Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-16, 06:54 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Those are pathetic #s for a brand new flagship coupe. Thats over 100 torque less than competition.
Probably 0-60 in high 4s, low 5s.

If they price it from 75-90k then it may succeed, nobody is buying this over an SL or S550 coupe if its over 100k.
Old 08-20-16, 05:38 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those cars don't look near as high class as the LC, especially inside.
Old 08-20-16, 08:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Seems pretty high class to me.....

Old 08-21-16, 04:46 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Those are pathetic #s for a brand new flagship coupe. Thats over 100 torque less than competition.

If they price it from 75-90k then it may succeed, nobody is buying this over an SL or S550 coupe if its over 100k.
Indeed the S Class Coupe is a very nice car but just because YOU won't buy the LC with its current HP numbers doesn't mean others won't.

Lexus has clearly been leading their own trend here by offering driving enjoyment and experience over brute power. They are obviously keeping their power figures lower for a purpose. What purpose, I'm not sure but hopefully somebody that understands the Lexus strategy can share that with us.

The LC isn't far off from 500hp and if the difference between bumping their power up 20+ horsepower to meet that 500 figure also makes up the difference between a car nobody wants and a car many people want, wouldn't you think they would do that already?

Think.
Old 08-21-16, 05:24 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree 75k-90k probably is more reasonable. If it's over 100k, I wouldn't buy. Others might. But I doubt it would be a big success.
Old 08-21-16, 05:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by G Star
Indeed the S Class Coupe is a very nice car but just because YOU won't buy the LC with its current HP numbers doesn't mean others won't.

Lexus has clearly been leading their own trend here by offering driving enjoyment and experience over brute power. They are obviously keeping their power figures lower for a purpose. What purpose, I'm not sure but hopefully somebody that understands the Lexus strategy can share that with us.

The LC isn't far off from 500hp and if the difference between bumping their power up 20+ horsepower to meet that 500 figure also makes up the difference between a car nobody wants and a car many people want, wouldn't you think they would do that already?

Think.
I really like Lexus and I feel they can be a great luxury brand but they (Toyota bean counters) can't get out of their own way imo.
Unless we as fans tell them this, they will just continue to sell their FWD based ES/RX/NX money makers and be content.

The LC is a great design in and out but to put this OLD powertrain in an all new model is just pure cost cutting.
The HP figure is close yes but the torque figure is over 100+ shy of MB/BMW/Audi cars.

LC is a statement car, probably 3rd 4th or 5th car in someone's garage. Buyers of this type even if they don't ever go fast, want to tell their buddy at the country club about their new baby can smoke their new MB coupe!
BTW NOBODY will buy the hybrid just like the GS450h / LS600h are special order.
Old 08-21-16, 09:21 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like Lexus and I feel they can be a great luxury brand but they (Toyota bean counters) can't get out of their own way imo.
Unless we as fans tell them this, they will just continue to sell their FWD based ES/RX/NX money makers and be content.

The LC is a great design in and out but to put this OLD powertrain in an all new model is just pure cost cutting.
The HP figure is close yes but the torque figure is over 100+ shy of MB/BMW/Audi cars.

LC is a statement car, probably 3rd 4th or 5th car in someone's garage. Buyers of this type even if they don't ever go fast, want to tell their buddy at the country club about their new baby can smoke their new MB coupe!
Quite true. But I must admit that their advertising, (and some sympathetic reviews play to it) read to me like placing class leading performance behind greater priorities, is quite ingenious. I did feel the RCF was slow heavy and out of depth when I tracked it, yet much was advertised of its performance aspirations on the track. So as a Lexus owner, I came away with the impression that their customers would like a car that looks much faster than it goes. For someone who likes a car that goes faster than it looks, I have to look elsewhere.
Old 08-22-16, 05:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

You are right but you are also wrong. The LC should sell very well. The styling will make current owners of Lexus products very happy. The interior looks to be pretty damn good. While I agree that they could use more updated powertrains, I still think it will sell well with out the need.

My only issue is that the auto press has universally loved this car, and when the press loves a car, it does not always turn into mass acceptance.
Old 08-22-16, 05:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My only issue is that the auto press has universally loved this car, and when the press loves a car, it does not always turn into mass acceptance.
Well, it's been obvious for a number of years now that the auto press and the public don't necessarily have the same outlook on what is important in a vehicle. The press, in general, wants responsiveness, acceleration, handling, braking, and a tight (sport) feel to a vehicle, while, in general (though not universal) the public wants comfort, reliability, versatility, and good customer/dealer service. The industry, of course, for years, tried to design what it feels is a balance between the two, but, for the last 8-10 years or so, has clearly been listening more to the auto press when it comes to chassis/steering/wheels/tires.
Old 08-22-16, 09:04 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I agree with you on the pricing, this is a good looking coupe and it would be a shame for Lexus to price it so high to where it won't sell well, no reason they should price this coupe anywhere near 100K. 75-90K sounds about right for the V8, low to mid 60's would be nice for a 6 cylinder version.

While the V8 may be down on torque from the Germans tt V8's, 468 hp is still a lot of hp and 0-60 in 5 sec or less is still quick and will be smooth, I am sure the V8 will be much more reliable then the much more expensive tt V8's in the Germans.
Old 08-22-16, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

All you have to do is look at the interior to know its not going to be $75k.
Old 08-22-16, 11:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Only a higher HP LC F would warrant US$100k+ price IMO .........
Old 08-22-16, 12:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The industry, of course, for years, tried to design what it feels is a balance between the two, but, for the last 8-10 years or so, has clearly been listening more to the auto press when it comes to chassis/steering/wheels/tires.
The industry is not moving towards a more sport oriented look and feel for their cars because the auto press are saying so, they would never design, market, and then sell a car just because they want to appease Car & Driver or Motor Trend.. The manufacturers are moving towards sport because that is what more and more buyers are now embracing. Buyers are more willing than ever before to pay extra for F-sport, Sport line models, etc etc. Something you need to understand is that not everyone wants a floaty, slow as a yacht ride.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-22-16 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-22-16, 02:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

This saying is getting old. What about the GLA and CLA? The X1? i3? Mini? Audi's entire line-up is basically FWD derived!

As Bitkahuna has said before, Lexus marches to beat of their own drum.
Old 08-22-16, 04:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I agree with you on the pricing, this is a good looking coupe and it would be a shame for Lexus to price it so high to where it won't sell well, no reason they should price this coupe anywhere near 100K. 75-90K sounds about right for the V8, low to mid 60's would be nice for a 6 cylinder version.

While the V8 may be down on torque from the Germans tt V8's, 468 hp is still a lot of hp and 0-60 in 5 sec or less is still quick and will be smooth, I am sure the V8 will be much more reliable then the much more expensive tt V8's in the Germans.
low 60's, what? lol.

I mean I want one too... but low 60's, really?

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News