Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 07:54 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I have this nagging feeling that Lexus should have released the LCF with a ***** out close to 600hp to get the armchair racers riled up then also release the LC500 and hybrid for the people that dreams about the LCF about only needs the regular LC. If nothing but to shut the armchair racers up. Now all they can talk about is how underpowered the LC is without a turbo relative to its peers and in its price brakcet. While it may be amazing to drive or not, it will lose in the numbers game.
Old 08-23-16, 10:00 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
All you have to do is look at the interior to know its not going to be $75k.
There is nothing in the interior that points to it needing to cost over 75K. Having some more leather trim or using real metal for a few buttons does not suddenly drive the price up tens of thousands of dollars.
Old 08-23-16, 10:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
There is nothing in the interior that points to it needing to cost over 75K. Having some more leather trim or using real metal for a few buttons does not suddenly drive the price up tens of thousands of dollars.
The SL-class starts at $86k, there is no way on earth the LC500 is going to be $100K. Perhaps when the car is loaded with every option.
Old 08-23-16, 10:11 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
low 60's, what? lol.

I mean I want one too... but low 60's, really?
Why not? What is so special about this car that would warrant pricing it much higher if they put in a 311hp V6 from the GS350 for a base model and the interior may have not as nice leather or as much as the v8 version? The RC coupe and RCF are not selling very well at their price ranges, they have to be discounted by thousands just to sell the volume they are selling. Last SC430 sold poorly and was discontinued partly because it was priced way too high. It will be a mistake to price this car too high, coupes are mostly limited market partially becuase they are priced too high
Old 08-23-16, 10:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Why not? What is so special about this car that would warrant pricing it much higher if they put in a 311hp V6 from the GS350 for a base model and the interior may have not as nice leather or as much as the v8 version? The RC coupe and RCF are not selling very well at their price ranges, they have to be discounted by thousands just to sell the volume they are selling. Last SC430 sold poorly and was discontinued partly because it was priced way too high. It will be a mistake to price this car too high, coupes are mostly limited market partially becuase they are priced too high
It will be priced close to what the 6 series is starting at. We don't know if there will be a V6 option. I assume there will be.
Old 08-23-16, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Ok...RNM GS3.

LFA was underpowered for the supercar that it was and caught a lot of flack for it. In the end it was recognized for exactly what it was and what it was trying to be.

Just ask Jeremy Clarkson, who still claims it is his favorite supercar.

The RCF is underpowered compared to the M3 but is milliseconds behind the m3 on the track.

There is always going to be the typical contests but perhaps Lexus is not trying to win the paper wars, maybe they want to win over genuine loyal customers at a slow and maintainable pace.

There is no question Toyota/Lexus has the money and talent to do what you WISH for them to do but the real question is, WHY do they choose to do things differently?
Yup, real world experience of the LFA exceeds its paper stats.

More like under-torqued on the F, but that's the trade-off for high horsepower and a linear feel. V8 vs I6 TT, different strokes for different folks. (Plus the F sounds wayyy better than the M IMO)

Exactly, slow and steady wins the race. Dotting i's and crossing t's has done wonders for them.
Old 08-23-16, 11:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If you been around as long as I been with the brand maybe you would understand.
Myself and family had a bunch of Lexus - 1gen RX, 2 of 2nd gen RXs including RX400h (one of 1st hybrids), 04 LS430, 07LS460, and my 2 GS300s.

I know the brand well.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! I've been around the brand since 1998...I've had 6 Lexus vehicles and have continuously had at least one Lexus vehicle in the family since 1998, at the current time I have two. Thats 18 years of continuous Lexus ownership.

You don't know this brand any better than I do LOL. I've said it to you many times, you're not a Lexus enthusiast any longer, and thats okay just stop pretending to be one. You can't be an enthusiast of something and not like anything about that thing.

I'm a current Lexus consumer, I buy a new one every 2.5-3 years...so spare me the "education" about what Lexus has to do to make consumers want to buy their cars. Preposterous.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On the thread-topic, what do you think of the LC? Have you had a chance to drive one yet? None of the local Lexus shops here have any in stock.....I don't think it has been released for sale yet.
The press hasn't even driven them yet. I am flattered by your confidence in me but no I haven't driven one yet lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-23-16 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-25-16, 10:38 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the Super GT version of the LC500! www.as-web.jp/supergt/39871?all

Old 08-26-16, 01:11 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks like a RCF GT500 facelift
Old 08-26-16, 02:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

What size engine / configuration do these Super GT cars run with?
Old 08-27-16, 07:25 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
That looks like a RCF GT500 facelift
That's basically what it is thanks to the regulations. But the car will look slightly different next year because the new aerodynamic rules.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
What size engine / configuration do these Super GT cars run with?
2.0L d-i turbo 4.
Old 08-28-16, 08:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
HAHAHAHAHAHA! I've been around the brand since 1998...I've had 6 Lexus vehicles and have continuously had at least one Lexus vehicle in the family since 1998, at the current time I have two. Thats 18 years of continuous Lexus ownership.

You don't know this brand any better than I do LOL. I've said it to you many times, you're not a Lexus enthusiast any longer, and thats okay just stop pretending to be one. You can't be an enthusiast of something and not like anything about that thing.

I'm a current Lexus consumer, I buy a new one every 2.5-3 years...so spare me the "education" about what Lexus has to do to make consumers want to buy their cars. Preposterous.
Not sure why you are being so personal.

Again I WAS a HUGE Lex enthusiast years ago - spent thousands on wheels, aero, susp etc. Went to bunch of Lex meets, events, etc. Never did i say, I still pretend to be one. But believe it or not, i do still like and follow the brand.

Based on your choice of cars and posts - you are not into sporty cars or modifications etc. You are a polar opposite of me as a consumer of cars.
If i gave you a ride in my M3 - you would HATE it, as it very loud, the steering wheel can't be turned with a finger and you feel every pebble in the road.

All this doesn't mean that Lexus can't have cars that cater to Luxury and then ones that are more Performance oriented. But for some reason their game plan has been really bad.
1) Ltuned was a halfassed attempt - which was discontinued.
2) LFA - amazing project, where is the follow up?
3) IS F - the first F model, great start, they built a following - then the new IS comes out , oh yeah no more ISF for you!
4) RC F - GREAT car imo, i truly enjoyed it and may get one after the refresh. Unfortunately it is not selling well but Lexus needs to realize, ///M and AMG were not overnight success stories they need to keep trying and not just discontinue the effort if it doesn't sell.
5) GS F - Good car but should not be F model and overpriced for what it is. Needs way more power.
6) F brand - what is it? You have a million F sport badged cars but only 2 F models one of which (GSF) is not really deserving. They are diluting the brand that has almost no value to begin with.

Anyway I hope Lexus puts more resources into Performance cars and removes the bean counters from F models altogether!

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-28-16 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-28-16, 08:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Again I WAS a HUGE Lex enthusiast years ago - spent thousands on wheels, aero, susp etc. Went to bunch of Lex meets, events, etc. Never did i say, I still pretend to be one. But believe it or not, i do still like and follow the brand.

Based on your choice of cars and posts - you are not into sporty cars or modifications etc. You are a polar opposite of me as a consumer of cars.
If i gave you a ride in my M3 - you would HATE it, as it very loud, the steering wheel can't be turned with a finger and you feel every pebble in the road.

All this doesn't mean that Lexus can't have cars that cater to Luxury and then ones that are more Performance oriented. But for some reason their game plan has been really bad.
1) Ltuned was a halfassed attempt - which was discontinued.
3) IS F - the first F model, great start, they built a following - then the new IS comes out , oh yeah no more ISF for you!
4) RC F - GREAT car imo, i truly enjoyed it and may get one after the refresh. Unfortunately it is not selling well but Lexus needs to realize, ///M and AMG were not overnight success stories they need to keep trying and not just discontinue the effort if it doesn't sell.
5) GS F - Good car but should not be F model and overpriced for what it is. Needs way more power.
6) F brand - what is it? You have a million F sport badged cars but only 2 F models one of which (GSF) is not really deserving. They are diluting the brand that has almost no value to begin with.

Anyway I hope Lexus puts more resources into Performance cars and removes the bean counters from F models altogether!
You sound like you have a serious hate on for Lexus.

I will agree with you that the F cars by Lexus have not been doing very well. I don't think they are that appealing.

I will say that the F-sport trim is appealing and I really like it. It sells very well from what I understand.

Now as for the LC500, I think it's the real deal and will do really well. The interior looks spectacular and Lexus has finally gotten the exterior styling right.
Old 08-28-16, 09:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Not being personal at all. You're the one that said that you had been around the brand longer than me, which literally made me laugh out loud because its just ridiculous. There are very few members on this board that have been Lexus owners and enthusiasts for longer than I have.

Thats true...and what Lexus' wheelhouse is caters to my side of the spectrum not yours, it always has. Seeing that isn't what you're looking for out of a car, you aren't a fan of Lexus products...which is fine.

I don't like wine. It would be like me posting on a wine forum saying I'm a wine enthusiast I just wish it tasted more like beer. I'm not a wine enthusiast...I like beer. See what I'm saying?

Lexus doesn't need to be BMW. You like BMW and thats great, I don't like BMW and I don't want Lexus to be like BMW. You see those changes and shifts already and I think its bad for the brand that I enjoy.

Theres an old saying, "jack of all trades master of none". Look at what a shift towards luxury has done to BMW. No more class leading handling, loosing comparison tests in the 3 and 5 series. Their desire to chase a luxury buyer has hurt the sport side of their engineering.

The same is true with Lexus. They're chasing sport, and you can see the net result of that paradigm shift. People complaining that an ES rides too hard, the IS and RC are devoid of any luxury whatsoever...styling that just is way too over the top.

If Lexus would stick to what they do well, and BMW would just stick to what they do well, both would be better off.

Like Jill said, I think the LC500 looks great, I just hope it has a refined grand touring feel to go with it. Next LS will be crucial. One reason why I got my LS is that I have a feeling it will be the last of the unapologetically comfort oriented LS sedans.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-28-16 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-28-16, 09:11 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I would understand your point if you were consistent with it. You criticize F cars for being underpowered compared to the competition. The LFA is a highly praised car by almost all of those with any say in this category/world yet it was underpowered. So its ok for the LFA to be underpowered with good driving experience but not ok for the other F cars to do the same?

People, raise your hand if you genuinely think the 'Lexus bean counters' are keeping F cars from being 33 hp more?

Is there really any doubt that Toyota/Lexus is capable of getting another reliable 33hp out of the RCF v8 if they wanted to?

Again I want to reiterate how close the RCF and the M4 really is in terms of overall performance.

Last edited by G Star; 08-28-16 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News