Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 02:52 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you are kidding yourself if you say 10" is not significant. take a look at the different classes of cars, 10" can be a different class already. IS to GS is less than 9" difference. GS to LS is 8" difference.

like i said, i was the one who had the two freaking cars sitting side by side right in front of me and i was the one who sat inside of them left and right. it's plain silly to try argue they are the same size.

and 3" difference in wheel base is close?

is350 wheel base 110"
gs350 wheel base 112"
ls460 swb wheel base 117"
ls460 lwb wheel base 122"

s550 wheel base 116"
lc500 wheel base 113"

you are not going to win this argument no matter how you spin it
I am not spinning anything - you are the one trying to prove something why LC is not competitor to Sclass. Why I'm not sure? Lexus themselves have called the LC, the FLAGSHIP of the brand.
Again 3in Difference in wheelbase is minor, that means the rest of the difference in length are in the Front/Rear overhang which are mostly styling driven more than anything.

BTW since you brought up the GS, 5 Series wheelbase is 116.9 vs 112.2 for GS - yet somehow they are direct competitors!

I saw the car in person and it is huge, you can see it better in the white color pics above. Nobody ever said the Sclass is not bigger but to say they are not competitors is not reasonable.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-23-16 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-23-16, 06:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

There's a difference between saying they are competitors and saying that they're the same size and that 11" in length and 3" in wheelbase aren't significant. People don't measure cars when they cross shop them, but that doesn't mean that those size differences don't have a huge impact on the car, they do. That's a big reason why the GS is more dynamic than the 5 Series, and a big reason why the 5 Series is softer riding and more comfortable than the GS.

So while I agree people would cross shop the LC and the S Class coupe, that size difference will have a big impact on the car's feel.
Old 09-23-16, 07:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

there is no way in hell this LC500 is a competitor to the S-Class coupe. lol
Old 09-23-16, 07:14 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
There's a difference between saying they are competitors and saying that they're the same size and that 11" in length and 3" in wheelbase aren't significant. People don't measure cars when they cross shop them, but that doesn't mean that those size differences don't have a huge impact on the car, they do. That's a big reason why the GS is more dynamic than the 5 Series, and a big reason why the 5 Series is softer riding and more comfortable than the GS.

So while I agree people would cross shop the LC and the S Class coupe, that size difference will have a big impact on the car's feel.
Honestly this is getting a bit rediculuous lol

Please re-read all my posts in this thread, as I have stated over and over that the Sclass coupe is LARGER. Nobody is disputing this fact at all.
All I said was i saw it in person and the LC500 is more of Sclasss coupe competitor than it is the SL550.
I also stated the 6 series is much closer in size to the LC500.

BTW this car will have 21in wheels - its not small by any means but it does look smaller in pics due to its low hood and overall styling.
Also you think that 3in wheelbase difference is noticeable on cars that are almost 16 feet in length?

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-23-16 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-23-16, 08:57 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The color combo and ride height look great. This may just be one of those cars where the proper color and wheel combo make all the difference. Not pretty in all colors but stunning in a few. Selfishly I hope they depreciate well so that we can park one next to our ISF in a few years.
Old 09-23-16, 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Please re-read all my posts in this thread, as I have stated over and over that the Sclass coupe is LARGER. Nobody is disputing this fact at all.
All I said was i saw it in person and the LC500 is more of Sclasss coupe competitor than it is the SL550.
I also stated the 6 series is much closer in size to the LC500.
?
The price of the S-class coupe makes it a non-competitor.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

BTW this car will have 21in wheels
I am amazed at how so people forget about the facts of the this car. It will have available 21" rims.
Old 09-23-16, 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I agree in general. I also would agree that the LS really isn't a competitor to the S Class sedan any longer.
Old 09-23-16, 01:43 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree in general. I also would agree that the LS really isn't a competitor to the S Class sedan any longer.
Do you mean the current LS vs the current S class or the buzz that the new LS will be more sporty like the Panamera?

I really hope Lexus can put some heat on the S class, maybe an extended version, if they don't take on the S Class directly, I think it could backfire. Lexus is making it's flagship sportier while MB went even more lux with the Maybach edition?

Maybe they are taking a page out of the BMW playbook, Lexus wants to be the new 'ultimate driving machine' with their heavy emphasis on driver engagement and 'emotion'.
Old 09-23-16, 01:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
Do you mean the current LS vs the current S class or the buzz that the new LS will be more sporty like the Panamera?

I really hope Lexus can put some heat on the S class, maybe an extended version, if they don't take on the S Class directly, I think it could backfire. Lexus is making it's flagship sportier while MB went even more lux with the Maybach edition?

Maybe they are taking a page out of the BMW playbook, Lexus wants to be the new 'ultimate driving machine' with their heavy emphasis on driver engagement and 'emotion'.
I mean the current LS. It remains to be seen what the next LS will bring.

Personally having driven everything in that segment multiple times, I don't think anything really competes with the current S Class Sedan. Even the new 7 Series, while yes optioned up a 750 will go toe to toe with an S550 for price, most 7 Series sold are 740s optioned in the 80s and 90s, while its very, very hard to find an S550 on a lot anywhere with a sub 6 figure price tag. I would venture a guess that the average transaction price for an S550 is ~ $15-20k more than any other model in the segment. IMHO that means its in a class of its own.

As for it "backfiring" remember that sales volumes we're talking about here. Its important to have a strong flagship for people to aspire to, and to launch new technologies and chart the direction for the brand, but the S Class is a sales leader in this segment now with 1,400 or so units a month, remember that at its peak the LS sold 3k units a month, and the S Class and 7 each sold about 2,500 units a month. This entire segment is a small fraction of what it once was.

If Lexus sells 1,000 new LS models a month it will be a success. If they sell 300 LC's a month that will be huge.
Old 09-23-16, 08:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i am glad to see that some people have better senses. fwiw, i always think the current 5 series is really big and close to be too big as a mid-size

i can care less how the LC looks by itself in person, all i care is how it compares when the 6 series is on one side and the s500 coupe is on the other, which was exactly what presented to me. so unless someone else have seen that.

funny thing is lexus does want / hope / wish the LC to be together with the s550 coupe, but given the overwhelmingly strong opposition by every single one in the room (not even one soul agreed), i think that says a lot. from size, drive, sound, amenities, dynamics, price, it's really hard to even put the two cars together. just because lexus says this is their flagship doesn't make it comparable to every other freaking flagship coupes out there.

lexus also says the rcf is not a m4 fighter -- go believe that
Old 09-24-16, 08:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Just looked up the specs for the LC and the Mercedes Benz E-class coupe. It looks like we may have found the winner on where this LC compares best against.

LC500
Overall Length 4,760
Width 1,920
Height 1,345
Wheelbase 2,870

E-Class
Overall Length 4,703​
Width 2,016 (E class mirrors measured)
Height 1,397
Wheelbase 2,760
Old 09-24-16, 08:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

^^^ but the e coupe is likely to be a whole lot cheaper, even the e550 coupe.
Old 09-24-16, 09:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, this is going to be much more expensive than an E Class coupe...
Old 10-05-16, 07:45 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Photo Gallery: Black Lexus LC 500h in Italy

Lexus is sponsoring the Brera Design Days event in Milan, Italy this week, and this
is part of their display:

Brera Design Days is a festival focused on the design and innovation of digital technology, with discussions, exhibits and workshops. It runs from October 1-9.

Old 10-05-16, 07:48 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crystal Ball: Imagining the Lexus LC F

Spanish website Motor.es has created new renderings of the much rumored and highly anticipated Lexus LC-F, and it’s like staring into a very exciting future:

Judging by the F conversion of the GS & RC, the front end will be much more aggressive than these renderings — I would expect more detailing and separation from the standard model. Even so, the side profile basically murdered me.

What do you think of this? Too much, too little? And most importantly, what would you give up to own a Lexus LC F?

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News